Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: Has there been a change in your TF purchasing pattern due to recent influx of KOs?
No change 26 78.79%
More cautious. I wait around before committing to purchasing "originals" 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 AM   #11
Phollen16
Masterpiece
Phollen16's Ebay Auctions
Re: KOs and your purchase pattern

I took the plunge and got the $300 MP Megatron. The price is insane but I justified paying it in smaller parts with my seller just so I didn't see myself drop three bills all at once. lol (I cry a little every night) But he is a Amazing figure and I haven't even transformed him yet or played with his add-ons. Man if Hasbro releases him or if there's a KO I might get those over the Takara one later on just because or maybe just to have another one.

I do feel that Takara takes us for a ride with their prices and some 3rd Party companies as well. (Cough, lady Dinobot's, cough) Ihave noticed that Hasbro has uped their game since the 3rd parties have been coming out, maybe not on the same level as 3rd Parties but some damn good ones non the less.

Maybe if the KO's continue getting better it will force Takara to better price their products, if not the KO's or 3rd parties may just win. I mean I'd rather pay $40-50 US for a Masterpiece then $80-$120 any day, the only reason I don't get KO's is fear that it's not as well made as the original.
Phollen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

I've been very close to buying ko's. But I'm still a little old school and concerned about quality. I would never consider a MP Prime or Megatron KO. Those 2 are the icons that I just feel need to come from Hastak. Everyone else is fair game to me. But, I have yet to pull the trigger on a KO....so conflicted.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

I try to buy from the official Hasbro/TakaraTomy or original 3p company when possible, I mean, I like their work and I want to see more of it, so they should get my cash as support.

Usually, if the cost is too high, I just won't buy or wait a REALLY long time until the cost comes down.

KO is an odd duck, though. If I get one, it's normally WAY after the originals have stopped being produced and sold, and tends to be uniquely different from the official one in some way.

There are straight up copies (I'd rather stay away from), and then there are eclectic weird coloured ones (kinda neat, but mileage may vary), and then there are the upsized/downsized ones (occasionally interested).

The last category are the altered ones, which somewhat match the original in shape, form, or colour, but then the design just takes a hairpin turn and does something new. These don't normally interest me, but from time to time they pique my interest.

And then there's 3d printing. I have my own printer, and so can do some production myself.

After fiddling around with the models of Iron Factory SonicTech and Manacle from Thingiverse, I decided to bite the bullet and actually buy those sets. Sure, I can print them at twice the size (at a reasonable level of quality, and they do transform), but the designs just reached out to me and compelled me to get real ones, and the Iron Maiden set on top of that. Still looking for the set with Soundwave and Perceptor.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #14
pside9
Beasty

The few MP figures I have gotten are all official ( Mostly Takara and some Hasbro). I think they can be gotten at fair prices most of the time.

But as for movie line toys, I'm not enough of a fan to pay full retail on them. There are some OS KOs of movie toys (like Evasion Optimus or DOTM Megatron) that are awesome. The play value of having a larger decent bot in my hands makes them so much more appealing. OS KOs like them do make me pause and wait before I buy official movie-verse toys.

Last edited by pside9; 04-18-2017 at 08:25 PM.
pside9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:27 AM   #15
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
I buy all KO and 3P now because I'm sick of feeling ripped off every time I buy a 150 dollar plastic toy that is basically no different than one you get at walmart for 30 or 40 bucks, except for a bit of engineering and an incredibly wasteful giant box wrapped around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
Collecting has never been as good as it is now that 3P and KO products gave us something actually viable both financially and quality wise.
QFT. Didn't vote in the poll because neither option applied to me. The influx of KO's has neither not made an impact on my buying habits nor am I more cautious. If anything, the progressive improvement of their quality has INCREASED my overall buying pattern.

For the longest time, KO's had questionable and notorious quality control issues. But that's quickly changed in the past couple of years with the emergence of OS Warbotron, JinBao Feral Rex, the KBB downsized MP-10 makes a terrific CHUG scale Optimus Prime, etc. The recent MechFansToys KO's of DX9 figures is a welcomed KO since DX9's pricing was getting ridiculous for legends scale figures. Iron Factory has been a great 3rd party company, but even they are starting to getting a little pushy with their price point for their legends scale offerings.

The recent BB7 MP seekers and coneheads are a great example of a better choice over official: equal or better QC than HasTak, lower price, more accessories. What's not to like? Got rid of my official Thundercracker and Skywarp in favor of the BB7's and couldn't be happier, currently have BB7 Starscream in transit as well.

Before the KO improvements, I just ended up passing on official product or waiting forever for a used price to come up. Now that KO's are improving, I actually look forward to seeing what KO's will come out next and have been more inclined to buy those early on when they get released and/or buying up more of other figures to even out the faction numbers in my displays, lol.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #16
predahank
Storing is hoarding

When mp coneheads came out at the high price point and (seemingly) limited quantities it really made me hesitate and consider the ko's. I've heard the argument that the retailers jacked up the prices. Sure but they wouldn't have been able to sell at those prices had takara produced more units. Its just supply/demand economics. I bet this marketing strategy drove a lot of consumers to buy the ko instead of waiting for the official reissue, which will still be overpriced imo.

Personally, I decided to pass on the official and ko. I have the budget to buy them but it's more of a principle thing to speak with my wallet. If they ever do another run and offer them at mp-11 reissue prices then sure or if hasbro does them 7 yrs later (eye roll), sure. Who knows, if I come across the yess model coneheads at $80ea, I may just be tempted
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #17
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

I don't see the point in kos, nor will I buy them, if i'm going to purchase an mp, it better be a real one. Why shell out money for a place holder? I would rather not support uncreative people like the ko manufacturers.

I'll put my money into Takara MPs and very well done 3p. No almosts or kind ofs like we had with the early 3ps and some companies that think that that is still where the money is at.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote