Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #11
Endlessdark
Generation 2
Re: Could someone tell me the name of the more "official" stuff to tighten joints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Future isn't Future anymore, right?

I was under the impression that it's now branded as "Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish" or perhaps as "Pledge Revive It Floor Finish"

Like this:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pledge-.../6000016951678

Been looking around to get some but while it says my Wal-Mart is supposed to carry it I never see it. My Home Depot is supposed to have it too but I never go there.

Here is the listing on Canadian Tire, where I’ve always found it readily available.

https://cantireapp.page.link/m9KVFJBUM1GgTfTL8

They have the older bottle pictured on the website, though.

It’s now called ‘Revive It’

https://finescale.com/how-to/tips/20...has-a-new-name
Endlessdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #12
Ozrein
Stunticon
Re: Could someone tell me the name of the more "official" stuff to tighten joints?

This is the stuff I've only recently heard of but from all accounts that I've read, it works well.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #13
The Nemesis
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlessdark View Post
Here is the listing on Canadian Tire, where I’ve always found it readily available.

https://cantireapp.page.link/m9KVFJBUM1GgTfTL8

They have the older bottle pictured on the website, though.

It’s now called ‘Revive It’

https://finescale.com/how-to/tips/20...has-a-new-name

Thanks I was confused about the order of re-names because I saw that link you posted from finescale where it said it was renamed to Revive It, but when I searched for that I found more places showing bottles like that CT listing (or the Walmart one I posted) where it says Pledge Floor Care. So I assumed that it went Future -> Pledge Revive It -> Pledge Floor Care and it was the Revive It listings that were old/out-of-date. Good to know what I'm looking for now and that apparently my local CT has a bunch of bottles in stock.

So second question: application.

It's just a matter of gently brushing a thin layer onto the surface of the joint I need tightened up and letting it dry before I move the limb or whatever back into place?

Like I want to fix my PotP Nemesis Prime's ankles, so I should swivel the foot as out of the way as I can to expose the part of the ankle joint that makes contact with the foot when the figure is upright, brush on the polish, leave it for a day or whatever, then reset the foot to the upright position so that it is now contacting the part of the joint I applied the polish to?

I've never actually done this before and I don't want to bork anything up, especially on figures I can't easily replace if things go sideways.

I suppose I should also find out what's the easiest way to remove the polish if it goes on wrong. Do I have to use a solvent/thinner? Or can I simply scrape it off if with an appropriate tool?

Sorry for all the questions. Like I said I'm a total newbie at this and want to know as much as I can before I risk doing something that could have a bad outcome.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:29 PM   #14
Endlessdark
Generation 2

Quote:
Thanks I was confused about the order of re-names because I saw that link you posted from finescale where it said it was renamed to Revive It, but when I searched for that I found more places showing bottles like that CT listing (or the Walmart one I posted) where it says Pledge Floor Care. So I assumed that it went Future -> Pledge Revive It -> Pledge Floor Care and it was the Revive It listings that were old/out-of-date. Good to know what I'm looking for now and that apparently my local CT has a bunch of bottles in stock.

It's just a matter of gently brushing a thin layer onto the surface of the joint I need tightened up and letting it dry before I move the limb or whatever back into place?

Like I want to fix my PotP Nemesis Prime's ankles, so I should swivel the foot as out of the way as I can to expose the part of the ankle joint that makes contact with the foot when the figure is upright, brush on the polish, leave it for a day or whatever, then reset the foot to the upright position so that it is now contacting the part of the joint I applied the polish to?

I've never actually done this before and I don't want to bork anything up, especially on figures I can't easily replace if things go sideways.

I suppose I should also find out what's the easiest way to remove the polish if it goes on wrong. Do I have to use a solvent/thinner? Or can I simply scrape it off if with an appropriate tool?

Sorry for all the questions. Like I said I'm a total newbie at this and want to know as much as I can before I risk doing something that could have a bad outcome.

Keep your eyes open for either bottle. They may very well have old stock, but the stuff lasts forever so it doesn’t matter. I was just in a Canadian Tire again 15 minutes ago and they had it under the ‘Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss’ name.

If you’re just tightening joints with it, you don’t need to brush it on. I actually prefer to use a toothpick, but if you have a small enough brush that works too.

Grab a toothpick and dip in the pledge, then touch the tooth pick to the joint and apply a drop or two. Wait a couple seconds and start moving the joint around to work the pledge into the joint, then let it sit. You might have to do it a couple times. Dries in about an hour and it’s self levelling. Repeat the process again if you want the joint tighter.

The product is acrylic so you don’t need any chemicals for clean up. You can usually just scrape it off with your nail. But honestly it’s pretty hard to over apply with the toothpick method.

The stuff is great, honestly. I’ve used it on a ton of figures. I have old beast wars figures for example that could barely stand on their own. A couple drops of pledge and I have them standing on one leg.

Edit:

Here’s a video Vangelus made showing you the application,
I don’t find the toothpick method as slow as he seems to think it is, though. It’s still my preferred way to use the stuff.

https://youtu.be/R28igxg_FCY

Last edited by Endlessdark; 01-29-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Endlessdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:30 AM   #15
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Future isn't Future anymore, right?

I was under the impression that it's now branded as "Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish" or perhaps as "Pledge Revive It Floor Finish"

Like this:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pledge-.../6000016951678

Been looking around to get some but while it says my Wal-Mart is supposed to carry it I never see it. My Home Depot is supposed to have it too but I never go there.
Unless it's a new labeling (again), your link is for something different

This is what I have (Revive it, which is the "Future" replacement), and I got mine at Walmart maybe 2 years ago. Works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pledge-Floor-G...07B9YF2TJ?th=1

Note that it's all polyurethane based stuff, including that Kiki stuff, which again, is a water-based acrylic.

And from what I can see that Kiki is a 15$ (and 15$ for shipping on amazon) for what appears to be a 30ml bottle... maybe 60ml but don't think it's that big?

As opposed to Pledge Revive it at around 800ml that cost me about 10-12$ if I remember right.

Hell, it look like you can buy "pure" polyurethane at hardware store for even cheaper.. guess I'll do that when I run out of my Pledge in 10-20 years from now.

Oh well..
Old 01-30-2021, 12:45 AM   #16
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:

Application is simple...

Either get a bottle with a dripper, or one with a small brush (like a nail varnish/ type), I use a dripper.

If you want (or fine to do it), just pop the socket out (balljoint), coat both the ball and the socket, let dry overnight to a full 24 hours, pop back together, remember to move it a few times in a few days to ensure that it doesn't seize together too much as the full drying process can take up to a few days.

If it's a closed joint, just drip a few drops into the articulation, and just move the parts to get the liquid to penetrate. Leave it to dry for a few hours and move it a few times. Repeat every few hours, and then leave overnight.

Again, move the articulation/parts a few times for the next couple of days to ensure that it doesn't seize to much.

Note that any extra can be simply wiped off right away. Heck, I soak my articulation without hesitation and just shake and wipe the excess.

If it's really stiff (seized), just be gentle and you will be able to move the parts.. they are NOT glued together, just don't force them in a way that could break them and it will "pop". If worried, use your air dryer for a few seconds to warm it up, and it would pop easier... but I've never had to.

And lastly, it will wash off with just running hot water, but I've never had a single issue.

Note that as per my earlier post, some parts are so loose that I use clear coat (Tamiya) as it's much thicker, but I do have to work it a lot more (and take things apart as needed) as it's thick and not liquid like the polyurethane stuff is, and I do have to dry it much better, and then work the parts to be sure that it doesn't seize... but this clear coat dries fairly fast within 15-30 minutes (at close to 80% I'd estimate), and overnight for fully dry.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 01-30-2021 at 12:50 AM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:36 AM   #17
The Nemesis
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Unless it's a new labeling (again), your link is for something different

This is what I have (Revive it, which is the "Future" replacement), and I got mine at Walmart maybe 2 years ago. Works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pledge-Floor-G...07B9YF2TJ?th=1

Note that it's all polyurethane based stuff, including that Kiki stuff, which again, is a water-based acrylic.

And from what I can see that Kiki is a 15$ (and 15$ for shipping on amazon) for what appears to be a 30ml bottle... maybe 60ml but don't think it's that big?

As opposed to Pledge Revive it at around 800ml that cost me about 10-12$ if I remember right.

Hell, it look like you can buy "pure" polyurethane at hardware store for even cheaper.. guess I'll do that when I run out of my Pledge in 10-20 years from now.

Oh well..

I'll have to look at the Pledge Floor Care bottle in store if I find it, because now it seems like any place I search for Pledge floor wax/gloss products only show that and not Revive It. And that Amazon link is only showing it being sold second hand for stupid amounts of money.

It makes me wonder if they rebranded in the last year or so and it just moves so slowly (and never expires) that stores are still selling off their old Revive It branded stock and haven't really gotten deep into the newer stuff.

thanks for the tips though, everyone. I have several figures that could certainly benefit from the extra joint friction. It'll just be the first bit of modifying/alteration I've done to any of my figures this side of swapping Siege Starscream's head with Siege Thundercracker's so I could give screamer the smirk face. I don't even use chemicals of any kind to clean anything, just a folding table with a lamp attached to it, an air gun, makeup brushes, and a boatload of patience (or a nice stack of DVDs)
Old 01-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #18
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here

So, from what I've read, in regards to the chrome protector (possibly for any painted part, but not sure) it removes and protects against oils on our hands that can damage the paint over time.

I hear chrome is the most sensitive to this.
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:20 PM   #19
delrue
Crossover

Found this in Walmart earlier today, looks like they dropped the "..It" from the brand. (It was like $8.50)

delrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #20
The Nemesis
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrue View Post
Found this in Walmart earlier today, looks like they dropped the "..It" from the brand. (It was like $8.50)

Yep, I picked the same thing up from Canadian Tire this morning, which corroborates the other posters saying that's what they got from CT even though their website uses a vastly different bottle design.

I also looked at the Pledge website yesterday and it appears they only dropped the "it" for Canada, maybe to make multilingual packaging easier/more consistent in the name. It's still called "revive-it" on the Pledge US site.

It's also a lot thinner than I expected. I don't know why I was thinking it would be like the consistency of dish soap or some other kind of thicker, more viscous gel/wax sort of stuff. Nope, it's basically water.

Also for whatever it's worth, nowhere on the bottle or in the ingredients list does it specifically identify as polyurethane-based. Instead most of the ingredients are obscured behind a wall of "Proprietary ________" names.