Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #31
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions
Re: The Rules of Collecting MPs (opinion piece)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Why should there even be rules?
So they can be broken
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #32
CanBot
Cybertron

I often blow the biggest 'rule', and that's budget...simply for the reasons already mentioned: we really have no idea how many MPs come out in a year, so for me I gauge it around five bots. And the prices can vary, where something like MP TC kicks your ass (like MP SW) at 200 a pop. I generally am ok with around 100 a month, and this is for everything: MPs and a few select mainliners (after CW, I'm pretty sure that'll be done). And let's be honest: no way am I not blowing my budget if they release more MPs. If they fit my criteria, they're autobought

I don't really know of a better way to budget for MPs other than calculate it like an entertainment cost. Whatever is left over at year end can get bumped to the next year, with a buffer for one or two MPs at any one time. And preorders, a must...overseas preorders. Can't really go wrong with that, as long as you deal with reputable sources.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #33
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

I don't know if it's on topic or not, if anybody who wants to start collecting MP's not saying I am going to start, but for those collecting MP's, what do you suggest hunting MP's that came out in the last 3 years or so? or going after the new ones that new ones that came out like (TRU Starscream, Blustreak, Ironhide, Exhaust, Star Saber, Tracks, Skywarp, Bumblebee G2) or wait for the next releases/re-issues?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #34
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
I don't know if it's on topic or not, if anybody who wants to start collecting MP's not saying I am going to start, but for those collecting MP's, what do you suggest hunting MP's that came out in the last 3 years or so? or going after the new ones that new ones that came out like (TRU Starscream, Blustreak, Ironhide, Exhaust, Star Saber, Tracks, Skywarp, Bumblebee G2) or wait for the next releases/re-issues?
MP-10. Without a doubt, the focal point of any MP collection.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #35
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

There is only one rule to buying MP's.... Buy them all.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #36
elburrito
Animated

I agree that focusing one's collection with parameters of preference increases the enjoyment of toy collecting. I'll suggest another is to not open more than one at a time. Spend at least few minutes with each bot opened before opening the next and you'll be able to remember what they are like when it comes time to pick a couple to transform!

But the best rule (imo) is the exception. Sometimes a bot just doesn't fit the rules, but it's exceedingly awesome. Pause, internal debate, pause again and if it's still too awesome, buy it!

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #37
supafly
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
If I could start over, I would go directly to the sales section of this site. Best prices and you get peace of mind buying from fellow collectors. Only after that would I go to online retailers.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #38
supafly
Generation 1

And to your question, cheaper I think are the recent ones and work your way down. You also have more chance of older releases being re-issued rather than figs that just came out.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #39
CanBot
Cybertron

If you're only interested in getting into MPs, then buy whatever is available. But if you want 'em all (post MP10, let's say) then obviously it's best to get the earlier ones. Even if they do a reissue, it's better to get the 'fresher' older stock ones. Unless there's a flaw that they've got worked out, but that's not too often.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #40
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuG View Post
if you are collecting TRU MPs and you unfortunately happen to live in an area that may not get in an item another great tool at your disposal is to see if TRU will do a store to store transfer for you. You can have the item shipped free to your store with a wait time of up to 10 weeks or you can pay to have it shipped quicker. I have recently done this for MP Starsream.
I just recently found out about this option. To be honest it never even occurred to ask I just assumed it would be a flat out no.

I am curious though what location you had them transfer from?

I ask because the location I recently picked mine up from last Thursday was kind enough to hold it for me. But when I got there their was another with a note on it stating it was slated for store to store transfer this is when I found out it was possible. I admit to curiosity if the one being transferred was yours. The location this was at was the Brantford, ON location.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote