Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you think it's time to take a break from collecting?
I will NEVER STOP COLLECTING! 11 23.40%
I can stop or keep collecting, it doesn't matter. 28 59.57%
It's too much, i NEED a break. 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 AM   #1
Deception
Crossover
Question Taking breaks from collecting?

I have been thinking lately, with so much toys that's been coming in Transformers Generations, AOE, MPs, 3rd Party and coming soon Transformers R.I.D and Combiner Wars has anyone else felt that it's just too much, too soon? I've been actively collecting for the past 3-4 years or so and it seems like all we do is collect, move on to the next line and it seems like a never ending cycle. There's always something to buy and even if we do decide to skip on some lines/waves there's always something else down the horizon to take a quick little munch on our wallets. LOL. A lot of us have figures displayed and have you guys ever felt it's time to stop buying and started actually enjoy all the toys we own?
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:47 AM   #2
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Taking breaks from collecting?

Yeah, there's lots of toys coming out, but I find that being very selective keeps things manageable. I mean it's next to impossible to buy everything.

Third party has gotten crazy, so now I put myself through a long thought out process of deciding if I want something from a third party. This past year, I talked myself out of the Maketoys Armageddon kit, all the various Dinobots, a few of the FP Headmasters, etc.

For hasbro movie stuff, I cherry pick and wait for sales. If something isn't around during a sale then it's too bad. There are figures I like but don't need.

As for breaks, every year around this time there's a gap of about a few months where nothing new really comes out, or at least very little. That's usually enough of a breather.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Instead of stopping, I've cut down to only the ones I really enjoy. That RID though looks very fucking tempting. Such a unique piece.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

The fandom has other aspects to enjoy and may lead you to enjoy it even more without purchasing. There's the comic book side of things.

then there's the side I really love. modding/kitbashing.

Take time to try some of these.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutori...l#post12034966
Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
zackmak
Robot Master

I started a select criteria for collecting figures/franchises a few years ago and I'm glad I did. It allowed me to have a definitive number of figures, without branching off on unnecessary/impulsive/regretful purchases. For me, I had to really focus in on what I was MOST passionate/excited about, and leave the rest behind. There will always be a new franchise and cool figure. If I was to collect everything that was named Transformers, or items that were simply 'neat' in my eyes, I would just be compiling to no end and to no age limit.

The next step was to pick a year to stop collecting all-together, so I could finalize my shelf space/collectable room and not worry about disrupting it time and time again by adding more/re-arranging. I can sit back and appreciate the 'fruits of my collectable years' and stop the "ok, what's next to collect?" anticipation that never ends and eventually takes a toll on your time and money.

Having closure to my collectables is fulfilling to me, and I can then look at the ever-continuing Transformer world as a non-collecting, casual passer-by instead...no different than I do other things of interest (eg. other 80's toys, music, movies, books, etc.)
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I've been on a break for the last couple of year mostly for financial reasons.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
justprime
Animated

I have to wonder with so many lines that quantity is making quality suffer seeing hollow tfs cheaper plastic qc issues makes it had to want to even purchase a tf not to mention price jump , the dumbed down main steam pieces makes selective collecting easy may be we are in the twilight for transformers the golden age has passed if this continues this direction
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
Megatron75
Alternator

I think I will always be collecting, even if that means just fine tuning my collection here and there occasionally. About a year or two ago, I did make a decision to limit myself to G1, G2 repaints of G1 figures and official Masterpiece figures but only the ones I really want and not everything HasTak releases. I sold off almost all of my classics, 3rd party items and a few other odds and ends that didn't fit in with my collection (for example: I had this boxed Gobots Lazer Pistol that looked like Shockwave's brother...well, perhaps his cousin). I didn't have room to display all this stuff anyways so I didn't really miss it when it was gone. It actually felt good to get rid of it all. Having the extra money was nice too but not the reason I did it. I'm temped to buy new stuff here and there (that new Bombshell looks great) but have been successful in sticking with my new collecting policy.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
Bluewolf77
Generation 2

It is good to take a break sometimes or at least cut back, myself over the last couple years I have just been buy one or two figures that peeked my interest or ones I pasted on years ago(ie Generation Tankor)
Bluewolf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I try to limit the lines I collect, choose what I want, and only pick up one or two "nice molds" from other series. It's the best way to stay sane and financially sound.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote