Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you think it's time to take a break from collecting?
I will NEVER STOP COLLECTING! 11 23.40%
I can stop or keep collecting, it doesn't matter. 28 59.57%
It's too much, i NEED a break. 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: Taking breaks from collecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
I try to limit the lines I collect, choose what I want, and only pick up one or two "nice molds" from other series. It's the best way to stay sane and financially sound.
This accurately describes my M.O.
In addition, I stick to the G1 characters, which interest me.
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Deception
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
Instead of stopping, I've cut down to only the ones I really enjoy. That RID though looks very fucking tempting. Such a unique piece.
Believe me, I haven't bought a single figure from the AOE line, planning on skipping the entire new RID line and i'm going to be very selective on Combiner Wars. The thing that's biting me in the ass is 3rd party and MPs. Their toys are just too good LOL.
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
Nullray
IGC

I really got caught up in the TFPrime line. The early non BW stuff was fantastic. A good balance IMO. I wish the Bayverse hadn't squashed the line to give us AOE stuff.
3rd party stuff paired with Takara MPs are amazing stuff. I honestly think I am becoming combiner spent. For Hasbro to release this combiner war line after 3rd party companies have been dragging the releases out for years now. I am not so excited about it I find. I still want a Superion though.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I find that I have to be more selective in future purchases, lack of space. For a long time I was grabbing anything and everything just because it was a "good deal" and simply ended up with too much stuff. As new items are rolling in I won't have the space to put them and to make matters worse finding out that I liked a lot of 3rd party items but they are pricey, at least some of them. Definitely going to cut back this year and try and get rid of items to replace them with updated versions. Superion and Powerglide for example, just to fine tune I guess
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #15
SCOURGE33
Machine War

I'm already a very selective collector be it TFs or other lines, collecting just the ones I really like. I will admit that with all official and non official toys coming out there are some great looking figs, but with a reduced budget and lack of space, cherry picking is the way to go for me.
SCOURGE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #16
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

I have stopped before so it is possible for me to do it again.

(I may even sell the whole collection to fund other hobbies of mine. But it is beyond the scope of this topic)

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
Xtreme987
Metroplex

You can always sell/trade some of your figures that you grow tired of. Sure you probably won't get what you paid but at least it free's up a spot for something you really are looking forward to at the moment to display and/or play around with.

I can see your point on breaking from collecting anyways. The looking at various stores, not finding what your looking for & higher prices wears you down a bit.

Last edited by Xtreme987; 01-17-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #18
Wheeltron
Maximal

It's been almost a year of collecting now (in an adult capacity), and I have not been a completionist at all. At first I found it hard to justify spending money on toys, I don't have any income for the majority of the year as a student and have to make it all in the summer. That's how I ended up buying and selling to pay for the ones I want. I still think I'm not far from even on spending so far, but it means spending is spaced to keep everything close.

My wallet is a little looser these days but I still feel drawn to choice pieces rather than getting all of anything. Much as I like Beast Wars I'm not gonna hunt down every BW toy.

With new ones, it's the same, I look at the Cominer Wars stuff and I don't really feel all that move to buy any of them. I would like to have Superion as a whole but not so much individually.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #19
Undrave
Canadian Slag

I am currently takin a break, it's called January.

All joking aside if I wasn't collecting TF I'd just be collecting something else... Which I already am doing really. I have to hold myself back and consider my issue of space.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

I started collecting back about 03 with the first wave of "Transformers Classics" and had a bad case of "gotta catchem all" up til the second movie then I began to be a little more selective. No repaints ect...Now with all the new stuff both traditional and 3rd party I am streamlining my collecting to Generations, Masterpiece, and 3rd party stuff. But only to characters that I recognize or have some kind of bond to. Starsaber, for example, no connection and no interest in getting him. I tried to like him enough to buy, but just fell short.
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote