Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
pud333
Animated
What kind of TF collector are you?

Hopefully this thread hasn't been done. If it has, please pardon my ignorance

I'm just wondering what kind of TF collectors we have here. Are you a MISB/MOSC collector? Or do you open everything? Do you actually play with the toys? Do you get multiples of figures? Do you hoard? Are you a completist? Do you collect based on scale?

Personally, I'm very particular about what I collect. In order for me to buy a figure, I have to have a personal attachment or fondness for the character. I don't just buy whatever because it looks cool. Because I find in the past when I do, I regret it.

If I really like a figure, I'll buy an extra and keep it MISB/MOSC. I only ever display the figures, and after a few months, if I get tired of them, I sell them because I have no real desire to keep a huge collection of figures I no longer care for. Normally I keep maybe two or three of each line, no more than that because I get bored with them.

So what kind of collector are you?

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: What kind of TF collector are you?

Impatient / loves high-end stuff / loves die-cast / loves electronics / loves combining figures / loves diversity / loves complex transformations / loves big figures / love recognizable characters

Last edited by Pascal; 07-21-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Icetron

Are you a MISB/MOSC collector? Or do you open everything?

I can't say I've opened everything since I have 2 MOSC's right now ('08 BB and G1 Movie Jazz) but in general I open all my stuff.

Do you actually play with the toys?

Yes...if reposing or transforming stuff when I'm bored counts as playing.

Do you get multiples of figures?

Of the exact same figure? Usually not. I have made some exceptions, I have 2 '08 BBs right now (one MOSC as mentioned before). I also have both Hasbro's Classics Prime and the Henkei Prime.

Do you hoard?

In general not really, since I've started to get rid of stuff I'm not fond of anymore.

Are you a completist?

Absolutely not, I tried with the Movie Line (pretty much my first line) and I got furious about all the repaints and the premiums so I will most likely not try to complete anything anymore and buy the stuff I like instead.

Do you collect based on scale?

Scale doesn't influence my decision much. In the case of movie Blackout I'm more annoyed that his transformation, automorph and overall look sucks rather than worry about his scale.

Last edited by Icetron; 07-22-2008 at 03:12 AM.
Icetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Nocturn
Previously Dead

I get the ones I want.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
astrana
Nexus Maximus

Even though I've loved transformers for the last 20 years of my life I just started to collect transformers recently. (I gave up on anime PVCs)

- not compliest, but trying to get every character in TFA and all the DLX and VYG in Univer 2.0
- I play and pose a lot transformers
- I throw away all the card and boxes mainly due to lack of room
- trying to keep my collection small since i am renting a place and seems like I am going to move every year
- Also very amazed by things that combines lol

Last edited by astrana; 07-21-2008 at 03:21 PM.
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

non-medicated obsessive-compulsive.... I just have a hard time saying no..... this year is really starting to add up with all the lines out and all the juicy stuff comming down the pipe..
nothing stays MISB, everything is opened and on display. I've never considered keeping anything MISB because I could never see myself parting with my collection..
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Are you a MISB/MOSC collector?
Hells no

Or do you open everything?
Hells yes

Do you actually play with the toys?
A real man can admit he plays with his toys :P

Do you get multiples of figures?
Sure but I call them repaints....but I'm particular about those, they have to be either an improvement on the original paint, a different character, or on sale....I just pass on crappy repaints

Do you hoard?
I think I've only sold one figure out of 400ish....I'd say yes

Are you a completist?
In a way...I've tred to get at least one of every mould released post RiD...doesn't mean I don't get stuff from RiD and before I'm just more selective on what I get, mostly just characters/mould I like.

Do you collect based on scale?
Definately, perfect example I'm passing on voyager Bulkhead for leader Bulkhead (may get voyager version for half price though....)

In conclusion I'm the kind of collector that likes to take out his toys and transform them a few times before putting them on display. I love G1 characters i just hated G1 toys...they were all bricks to me. Most of my collection are G1 characters with updated alt modes and more articulated robot modes. The only G1 characters I got are either from my childhood (Grimlock, G2 Silverbolt), my favourites (Ultra Magnus, Tracks, Soundwave), headmasters (loved that gimmick), and characters I don't think will be updated anytime in the near future (Trypticon, Sixshot, Predaking, Liokaiser).

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

MISB nope, completest? yes, but only on lines i like, g1, mps, alts, classics, and animated. play? yes, a couple tfs of each fig never hurt anyone lol. hoard? most of the time
scale, nope but for animated it would be nice lol,

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW

Last edited by brr-icy; 07-22-2008 at 10:05 AM.
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I am the same as both GMfan and Badjeff. I have tried to buy all the molds released and I will buy the odd re-paint if I like the figure or if it on sale, but in that respect I am not a completest.

i plan to open everything, but have been slow opening stuff since Cybertron. The only toys that I may not open are the Masterpiece, not because I will sell them, because I am scared...

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 05-28-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
chans formers
raff ow roud

ant and everything to do with transformers i collect be it gum ball machines,blankets,plates,figures,"all".i actually open most of them just cause whats the point if you dont,then im obsessive enough to actually cut up all card backs and boxes and store it all in binders and i also do the same with toyfare mags.if there isnt atleast one page of tf goodness in it,i wont buy the mag for that month.the only draw back with being a completist is that now that my mother inlaw has moved in ,the majority of my collection had to be moved to my dads basement except for a few select bots and whatever i recently aquired.damn inlaws!!!