Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Houndog22
Generation 2
Platic/Diecast 2010 Predaking quality

I was thinking whether I should buy this reissue or try to find an original Predaking toy but there is something troubling me and I hope that someone who has the latest 2010 reissue or even the 2004 version can help me out.

I know the reissue for the 2010 one will be diecast and all/most of the yellow will be gold. The change in colour doesn't really bother me. And I think there will be no mold changes.

But will there be changes in the quality of the plastic/diecast parts compare to the original predaking in this reissue?

Thank you!

I only have two G1 reissues Bruticus and God Ginrai. I bought a Bruticus encore this year and I was really disappointed with the quality of the plastic used in the figure. There was a lot of stress marks in the hole pegs for some of those figures. I wasn't a big fan of the plastic quality in the God Ginrai reissue from Takara either. The plastic felt a bit cheap, especially God Bomber's chrome plastic chest.

I have read about the complaints on plastic quality on the Encore Bruticus compared with the original Bruticus but I could be wrong on the God Ginrai figure (it might be the same plastic quality on the original God Ginrai toy because I never owned the original one).

Even though most of parts will be die cast for Predaking there are some parts that will be in plastic and I was wondering if the change in plastic quality is a common trend in G1 reissues.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno
Re: Platic/Diecast 2010 Predaking quality

Well, you need to keep in mind with Bruticus that his toy has been reissued so many times that the molds were shot before he got the Encore figure. He got G1, G2, Car Robots, RiD..... basically an absurd amount of use out of his molds.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
-KG-
Kranix

I find that most of the reissues from the past few years have poor quality plastic, like the Encore line. That being said, i have the original Predaking reissue and the quality of both the plastic and diecast are great.

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
STI 2NV
Energon

I have the 2004 reissue and I think his quality far exceeds that of all my other Encore / Ehobby like reissues. His quality is very similar to the book style TFC collection toys. I never had the original predaking so i dont have it to compair with but he is definitley very good quality in my opinion. Very heavy aswell unlike Encore Metroplex, Omega Supreme, or even Sky Lynx.

Last edited by STI 2NV; 11-30-2010 at 12:34 PM.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Deemar
Banned

I've got the original metal version from the 1980s. I have no reissue to compare it to but the quality is good and the pricing is about the same as the 2010 reissues are, plus get some Repro Labels and you're set.
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Pascal
Banned

I used to have the original Predaking reissue and remember being slightly disappointed he would always lean slightly forward under the weight...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I will know what the quality of this new one is like as soon as I get home. *antsy* C'mon work day, END!!
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Houndog22
Generation 2

That is great to hear that the quality of the 1st reissue of Predaking is really good!
Hopefully I can hear what the quality of the second reissue is from Mumps soon!

That being said there is one comment that got me interested about toy molds. Does the mold change the quality of the plastic/diecast? Was the Ruination (and successors) mold the same mold they used for the original Bruticus 20+ years ago (with modifications)?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
pulsedragon20
I win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog22 View Post
That is great to hear that the quality of the 1st reissue of Predaking is really good!
Hopefully I can hear what the quality of the second reissue is from Mumps soon!

That being said there is one comment that got me interested about toy molds. Does the mold change the quality of the plastic/diecast? Was the Ruination (and successors) mold the same mold they used for the original Bruticus 20+ years ago (with modifications)?
From what I've heard and read, it should be the original molds being used
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Right away you can tell that the plastic quality is not up to par with G1. I had to cut off a few moulding flash nubs. However, every single joint is tight, and everything is flush and it has none of the problems associated with other re-issues. The paint on the metal is fantastic, and the plastic colours (Especially the gold and orange) just scream badass.

I was not able to compair this guy to my 2004 re-issue as I didn't have any time last night.

I don't know how this is on the original, but the Predaking head is a very loose fit and flops around when moved. Also I don't really like how the backpack stays on.. it's so loose and I can never get it to lay straight on his back, though this issue is the same with my original and I believe it is a fault of the original Predaking as well.

That being said, was he worth it? Hell yes! Those of us who were lucky enough to pre-order it at Amiami got it for a hell of a good price, but that said, paying Automatons price isn't a bad deal.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
predaking, quality