Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #51
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: Spiderman 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Regardless of the poor reviews I still feel the need to see it myself. The wife and I will meet up with some friends Sunday night to check it out.
My wife thought it was the best of the 3. That was until I started to give the back story of the characters. Then she told me to shut up.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #52
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The action scenes weren't good.
It was a soap opera.
The lines were stupid. "I like being bad"
Venom didn't seem very powerful or impressive.
Harry was idiotic the whole movie, not to mention he was a lame "high-tech" villain and nothing more, not unlike those generic ones from the recent Mainframe Spider-Man cartoon.
Mary Jane was as selfish as always.
Everything was shoved into your face. For example, the flashback to the church bell tower to show the symbiote hates loud sounds. Also, Peter explaining the 'lessons' in narration.
The whole dancing/strutting thing was done TOO much.

And the ending was so rushed, it was like he saved a cat from a tree. Which he did in a manner of speaking.

But my words can't describe it, see how bad it is for yourself, but I suggest waiting for its TV debut.
I saw this last night and loved it. I disagree with most of your comments:

The action scenes weren't good.
-I thought they were awesome. Many moments I caught myself exclaiming "Cool!" and "wow!". I surely got a "Matrix!" in near the end.

The lines were stupid. "I like being bad"
-Ok, I'll give you that, but it didn't distract from the film.

Venom didn't seem very powerful or impressive.
-You're right. He was hardly explored and shouldn't have been in it at all. They shoulda had him in S4 where they could concentrate on just Venom.

Harry was idiotic the whole movie, not to mention he was a lame "high-tech" villain and nothing more, not unlike those generic ones from the recent Mainframe Spider-Man cartoon.
-Not at all idiotic-cer than he was already established in Sp 1. I guess he could be high tech since they already developped him in #1 & 2, but it was awesome to see his relationship with Peter still grow. A
nd his rocket board scenes were absolutely beautiful. Matrix, I'd have been in tears if they had more of it.

Mary Jane was as selfish as always.
-Wow, I very disagree. Peter was a jerk kissing Gwen, and this was before he was enfused by the alien. MJ was actually generously forgiving of him.

Everything was shoved into your face. For example, the flashback to the church bell tower to show the symbiote hates loud sounds. Also, Peter explaining the 'lessons' in narration.
-The narration was nothing new, and the churchbell didn't seem shoved to me. I knew it as a fan but the non-spiders in the audience wouldn't have known about the sonics.

-Agreed. But since I found the movie had so much comedy it only added to it. I guess if I didn't laugh as much I'd have seen it as more on the cheesy/annoying side.

And the ending was so rushed, it was like he saved a cat from a tree. Which he did in a manner of speaking.
-Completely disagree. Unlike much of the movie, I found the ending NOT rushed. Like they rushed the rest just to have a great fight scene, Harry twist, and Peter development when forgiving the Sandman.

But my words can't describe it, see how bad it is for yourself, but I suggest waiting for its TV debut.
-I disagree on this too. Whether it's as good as I say or as bad as you say, the tv wait just would not be worth it.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #53
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I think they could have made 2 movies just from this one. It killed me that Venom was so limited in the movie. I could see the whole Sandman/New Goblin thing being Spiderman 3 and Gwen/Black suit/Venom being a whole other movie. Flesh it out man! Too much in 2 hours
Totally agree. Sandman was way cooler than I thought and the Harry storyline was so good that this movie should have been about Sandman, Harry, Gwen, heck even the landlord's sweet daughter who had a crush on Peter!

Brock shoulda bin introduced in this film just to start his rivalry with Peter, but the entire alien costume shoulda bin focussed in the next film without any other major Harry/Sandman storyline.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #54
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Regardless of the poor reviews I still feel the need to see it myself. The wife and I will meet up with some friends Sunday night to check it out.
I suggest you just keep in mind the pattern of the 1st 2 Spidey films:
Highly flawed, yet highly enjoyable.

Also, how did you like Grindhouse? I loved it.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #55
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

If none of that fazed you JL, what about the ridiculous origins of Sandman and the arrival of the symbiote? Just because it's a 'comic book movie' doesn't justify the complete absence of logic.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #56
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
If none of that fazed you JL, what about the ridiculous origins of Sandman and the arrival of the symbiote? Just because it's a 'comic book movie' doesn't justify the complete absence of logic.
Sandman's origin was similar to the Hulk's; an experiment gone wrong, tons of people around, nobody notices. So not ridiculous, just a little fast.

The alien's arrival, was quite gratuitous. But all the accelerated Venom stuff can be dumped into the 'Venom should have had his own movie' drawer.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #57
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
Also, how did you like Grindhouse? I loved it.
By the time we tried to go see it none of the theatres in my area were playing it anymore.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #58
Evan
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post

-Agreed. But since I found the movie had so much comedy it only added to it. I guess if I didn't laugh as much I'd have seen it as more on the cheesy/annoying side.

-Completely disagree. Unlike much of the movie, I found the ending NOT rushed. Like they rushed the rest just to have a great fight scene, Harry twist, and Peter development when forgiving the Sandman.

-I disagree on this too. Whether it's as good as I say or as bad as you say, the tv wait just would not be worth it.
I agree that dancing/strutting was too long, but I tolerated it since it was funny.

I felt the movie was rushed for the ending too. Sure there were the scenes that dragged on like strutting and Bruce Campbell in the restaurant, but it's Bruce Campbell! I just wish he had more screen time.
SPOILERS AHEAD!
Harry getting his memory back should've been in the next movie. Venom being a major baddie should have been in the next movie as well. But if this didn't happen in this movie, we wouldn't have seen Peter forgiving himself (and "defeating the evil within" or whatever the slogan is) or forgiving his uncle's killer. Which is sort of an acceptable change since the thought to be killer died in the first movie, and a new killer was needed for Peter to face and forgive. I felt a little ripped off though because in a way it's almost like he became Spider-Man by accident and chased down the wrong guy, instead of trying to avenge his uncle. And when Sandman floats off as dust in the wind, I shead a single tear. He was forgiven. Sniff.
END SPOILERS!

I think waiting for TV is a bad idea too. Even if you hate the movie, the special effects on the big screen are cool.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote