Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
Phy
Machine War
Re: Has anyone ever gone skydiving before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Sure... get a motorcycle...

Some fun stats though for ya, 9 outta 10 motorcyclists get into an accident in their first year. Half of those are fatal. So you got a 45% chance of dying in your first year...ooooh...now I see why they call'em organ donors at the hospital!
The Hurt Report, while old, is probably still the best source of information on the causes and effects of motorcycle crashes. (I can't find your 9 of 10 and 50% fatal statistics in the summary?) The most significant changes since then, according to the original author, are that crashes occur now at higher speeds and on more expensive bikes, but are otherwise similar to crashes in the mid-1970's.

At the time of the report, 92% of the motorcyclists involved in an accident had no formal training. Over half of the fatal accidents involved alcohol consumption. So that's two simple things you can do to drastically reduce your chances of eating it. Also, the organ donors are almost always the guys wearing barely any protective gear except a legally mandated helmet.

TJ, if you do get a bike, hit up Too Cool if you're still in Calgary, I've always heard good things about them.

As for skydiving, only in those few seconds between awake and asleep.
Phy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

I chickened out.

Take the time to research a quality business which forces you into lengthy training. And don't go cheap.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phy View Post
The Hurt Report, while old, is probably still the best source of information on the causes and effects of motorcycle crashes. (I can't find your 9 of 10 and 50% fatal statistics in the summary?) The most significant changes since then, according to the original author, are that crashes occur now at higher speeds and on more expensive bikes, but are otherwise similar to crashes in the mid-1970's.

At the time of the report, 92% of the motorcyclists involved in an accident had no formal training. Over half of the fatal accidents involved alcohol consumption. So that's two simple things you can do to drastically reduce your chances of eating it. Also, the organ donors are almost always the guys wearing barely any protective gear except a legally mandated helmet.

TJ, if you do get a bike, hit up Too Cool if you're still in Calgary, I've always heard good things about them.

As for skydiving, only in those few seconds between awake and asleep.
You could be the best motorcyclist in the road....all it takes is for someone to not see you in their blind spot while merging and you're creamed...

Ya accidents can happen in any vehicle but I'd rather have a steel cocoon protecting me then a leather jacket on asphalt.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
aximili
Machine War

My dad and I have always wanted to go skydiving. I'll make sure we do someday He also has always been an avid motorcyclist, but sold it to make my mom feel better. I enjoyed the times we went biking, but yeah it's pretty risky as GMfan posted stats about.

That being said, life is way too short and you should take every opportunity it gives you, whether it be skydiving or whatever. Life is meant to be lived!

Forgive my rambling, I've had a bit to drink because my cat of almost 20 years recently passed on (her name was Felix), but my advice still holds true!

Last edited by aximili; 06-07-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: correcting drunken spelling mistakes
aximili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemar View Post
I've done it, I'll give you a rundown. I did a course in Waterville......or Waterton......Water something in Nova Scotia. It was $260 for a 5 hour course and your first jump is included, each subsequent jump is $40 once you have your certificate. This place was pretty ghetto so they didn't do tandem, they actually let you go by yourself on your very first jump, it was crazy.

So I did the course and they took us through everything, then suited us up and crammed about 8 of us into a tiny little plane and took us up to 3500 feet. One by one, we crawled to the open door where the instructor reached around and pulled out our pilot chute. I crawled out of the plane, scared as hell, stepped out onto a metal bar and hung onto the wing with my hands at 3500 feet in the air. My instructor shouted "GO!", I let go of the wing, he threw my pilot chute out and I free fell until my chute opened and I was sitting in a nylon harness at 3000 feet with nobody to save me if I mess up. It was awesome.

I reached up, undid the handle loops from the velcro and steered my chute wherever I wanted before coming down into a field.....face first. It's very hard to land on your own without some practice, everyone slammed into the ground.
That is hardcore dude.

was reading a bit about Calgary area Jumpers and they all seem pretty good. One even claimed a perfect no fatality record...lol.

I think I would like to go the tandem route as it is 1) Cheaper
2) Safer (given that there is a Parachuting pro buckled to you, who is just as interested in living as you)

but it is considerably more gay. That being said I wonder if there is any female tandem jumpers...
(note to self...ask on phone)

As for the motorcycle bit: I have always, ALWAYS wanted one since I was a little kid. I understand that there is some inherent dangers, but honestly right now I can only think of the things that I wanted to do, but put them on hold for various reasons. I don't want to look back on life with regrets...especially given the current situation.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #16
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
it is considerably more gay
Only if the balls touch

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Deemar
Banned

tandem is back to front so during the whole jump you don't see your instructor. Your view will be the same as it would if you went solo.
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemar View Post
tandem is back to front so during the whole jump you don't see your instructor. Your view will be the same as it would if you went solo.
That only means the TJ is now the catcher
Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by aximili View Post

Forgive my rambling, I've had a bit to drink because my cat of almost 20 years recently passed on (her name was Felix), but my advice still holds true!
Sorry to hear.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #20
Phy
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
You could be the best motorcyclist in the road....all it takes is for someone to not see you in their blind spot while merging and you're creamed...

Ya accidents can happen in any vehicle but I'd rather have a steel cocoon protecting me then a leather jacket on asphalt.
Hey, I never said it was without risks, just that there are good ways to drive yourself to the far end of the bell curve. It's like any dangerous activity, if you don't find it rewarding, you won't (and shouldn't) take the risks. Personally, I can't yet see myself jumping out of a perfectly good airplane - I get nervous just being up on my own roof.
Phy is offline   Reply With Quote