Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 03-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
A

I find it pretty ironic that (what i think) to be the best proportioned G1 Scamble-city combiner is actually the WORST proportioned Combiner wars combiner. I'm looking at you, Defensor. No worries, these things can be easily fixed!!!

Okay before we get into the discussion here, I should say I started this back at X-mas break, and even then I was fully aware Takara had made a deluxe class Groove. Hell I even expected that Hasbro would release a deluxe class Groove, so let's say it was pure curiosity that drove me to do this. (even back then).

I really like Groove as a legend size...it just makes sense...so basically I designed "yet another trailer" to solve the issue of CW Defensor having a proper leg.

While I was at it, I designed some crotch plates, hands, feet and knee extenders (those are still in development, expect more details soon).

Also another thing to clarify--this is just a one-off custom project, there are no plans to mass produce it like my previous stuff...just wanted to make a better Defensor for my CW display.

Okay, on with the project details!

As with my other projects, I started with some sketches:

You can see that very early on, I wanted some kind of trailer for the leg. I also was thinking of some feet and knees, as i've always thought the legs were too short on these figures.

Here are some later sketches, with basic CAD starting to take shape. At this point I like to print out some early geometry and 'sketch over' it to understand where to take the design. I created a pretty detailed sketch of what I wanted the trailer to look like, in addition to having all the 'constraints' to the design--maximum height, width, room for Groove, etc.

Here are the upgrade parts. I had received these at X-mas but only got around to painting them last weekend. I used black dye (which turned out a bit blue) for the feet, hands and crotch plates, then painted everything over with Tamiya Acrylics in several thin coats.

Here are the trailer bits. You can see that there is a hitch there...it swivels on a ball joint. On one end is the "low" adaptor for Hot Spot, and the other end is the "high" adaptor for First Aid. Originally I had this as two parts, but with luck I was able to make it simply rotate 180 degrees to work for both. Also there is a water tank and some hose reels that "partsform" between "Trailer mode" and "Leg mode".

Here is the trailer attached to First Aid. The trailer can pivot at the hitch.

And here is the trailer attached to Hot Spot. There are some extra 5mm ports to add guns and accessories!

The trailer can be used to carry Blades!

Here's the leg. There is a basic ratchet and CW port at the top. The tank splits and attaches upside down to the sides of the trailer, and the hose reels peg into the tank halves. Groove nestles in between the tank halves.

Here is the resulting leg installed. I have already updated the knee designs...but even this early version can ratchet. This makes his legs more posable. He has ratchet ankle-tilts also!

Basically his legs can fold well over 90-degrees with this knee design. I have added rotation as well in my newer design (not printed yet)

Bit of an awkward pose but you get the idea. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the crotch flaps or the feet...there is too big a gap between the feet and the legs...so you can see I stuck a gun there to close the gap, lolzzzz...and the crotch flaps stick out a bit--but in this picture they could have been flatter I forgot to the fold one of the side-flaps out. Either way this is my first test print so it will evolve.

Here he is next to his amazing G1 self. Finally they look similar beside each other!

So that's all for now...it's been a fun project. Given the number of people working on these it's very clear they have lots of potential and they are super-fun all-around, so glad Hasbro/Takara made this line, I'm really enjoying it.

All the best,

Echo
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
alternatorfan
g1 baby
Re: A

Just wait for the groove deluxe!!
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Looks really good Echo. Love the work you put into it. Good job
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Great stuff! I wish the hasbro designers spent some time designing decent hands/feet/crotch plate.

I applaud your meticulous work
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

@Alex: in my post I mention my thoughts about Deluxe Groove.

@Wervenom and predahank: Thanks guys. Oh and sorry about the title, somehow it got cutoff...it should say "Another CW project with Legends Groove as a leg"...maybe the title was too long?
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
JLvatron
Chosen 1

This is inCROYable!
Rook, who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post
Just wait for the groove deluxe!!
I think you missed the point of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
Oh and sorry about the title, somehow it got cutoff...it should say "Another CW project with Legends Groove as a leg"...maybe the title was too long?
It's better than just "A" !

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

DAMN SON! I want my hands on that like...yesterday!!
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
timcrook
Cybertron

Title should be A+++++++++!+!!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #9
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

very very clever!

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
nicoath
Underbase caretaker

As much as I'm looking forward to a potential release of a deluxe Groove, this is some incredible work Echo! This is such a great idea. Admittedly I like a proportional Groove as well and this does the trick. Great job!
nicoath is offline   Reply With Quote