Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #421
Buhawi
Ang Alamat
Re: The Montreal/Quebec Local Fans Banter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHCKWAVE View Post
Back in the Quebec sightings thread a brief mention of age was brought up.How old are you people? LOL I'm 41,and like I told ZMOG it's a good age as a TF collector as I specifically remember the first time entering a store,it was a mom and pop toy store in Lasalle,and seeing this new line called Transformers.I remember looking at each one and reading their tech spec's and being totally entralled with this collection.My Mother was puzzled as I was a huge Star Wars fan and she asked "Are you sure you want one of these things???" I ended up with Megatron and Brawn.A weird combo but but I guess there was some sort of logic for the choices I made at the time. (:
Hey man you can't go wrong with Brawn kicking Megatron's ass. That's a winning combo right there.

I was 4 when first saw Transformers on TV then maybe 2 years later the first TF toy I saw was Soundwave. My first toy myself was Beachcomber. He reminded me of my school's patron saint, Saint-Francis so I took him. 33 years old here. Married with a 3 year old daughter and 7 month old boy.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #422
SMOG
zombicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHCKWAVE View Post
Being my age has it's advantages.I can remember my very first TF sighting,when they first came out!!!!! LOL Mom got me a Megatron and a Brawn.
Throw in Prowl, and you just described Christmas 1984 for me.

I'm 38, so we're close to the same vintage. I remember the pre-Transformer days... Shogun Warriors, Micronauts, Robot Machine Men (later rereleased as Gobots), etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
Hey man you can't go wrong with Brawn kicking Megatron's ass. That's a winning combo right there.
Add in Prowl along with Brawn and you've got a decent team to oppose Megs... brains and, uh... well, brawn. Unfortunately, it was always hard for poor Brawn to throw a punch, being all T-Rexy as he was.

Quote:
My first toy myself was Beachcomber. He reminded me of my school's patron saint, Saint-Francis so I took him. 33 years old here. Married with a 3 year old daughter and 7 month old boy.
Beachcomber as Saint Francis? That's hilariously appropriate! Haha!

No kids here, but coming up on our 18th anniversary. Uh... we have a cat.

zmog

Last edited by SMOG; 11-13-2012 at 11:09 PM.
SMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #423
Pascal
Banned

37, married, 2 young kids, don't really remember shopping for Transformers as a kid, toy stores were not exactly around the corner, so all the Transformers I had were gifts for my birthday or Christmas. I do remember my last Transformer though; I was 12, we were shopping in Saco, MA, and my grandmother asked me to pick a Transformer, any. Narrowed down my choice to Apeface and Scorponok, went for Scorpy because he was bigger, but somehow I regretted it later, I hated how the city mode on Scorpy wasn't really functional for little cars and thought Apeface was a much cooler triplechanger.

I also remember my grandmother giving me Grimlock and Hoist at school during lunch for my birthday (she also was my teacher) when I was 11. Over the years I got the following:

Optimus Prime
Trypticon
Scorponok
Hun-grrr
Skywarp
Breakdown
Menasor
the small black Aerialbot
the red Protectobot car
Nautilator
Thundercracker
Grimlock
Hoist

My brother got Thrust, Slag and Inferno.

Last edited by Pascal; 11-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #424
Hhai
Beasty

I love those nostlagic discussion. I'm 30, married, no kids for the moment! When I was young I had a fascination with transforming toys, mainly transformers but also MASK, Go-Bots and also lego which are also "transforming" toys.

I think my first Tf was Snarl, but I broke it pretty fast. Then I received Onslaught and Hot Spot, but never got their respective teams, I remember looking at the combiners in the Sears catalog and being very frustrated! Last TFcon I got a RID Ruination set and it really was a childhood fantasy come true!

One of the best memories I have from my childhood is getting Powermaster Prime for christmas. I still have that scene on videotape. You know that viral youtube video where you see some kid being hysteric after getting a Wii console? Well, my reaction was exactly like that!

I also had a bunch of Micromaster and also Longtooth. Unfortunately I lost all my childhood toys except for Hot Spot, but he still stands proud on my shelf!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #425
gericault
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhai View Post

I think my first Tf was Snarl, but I broke it pretty fast. Then I received Onslaught and Hot Spot, but never got their respective teams, I remember looking at the combiners in the Sears catalog and being very frustrated! Last TFcon I got a RID Ruination set and it really was a childhood fantasy come true!
!
Ha! Now that IS a trip through the old memories...I remember religiously leafing through the Sears catalog to see new transformers. After all, Toys R Us was out in the middle of nowhere (Eglinton and Lawrence - considered FAR from downtown Toronto way back then!), and other than the ever so brief glimpses on television adverts (couldn't even record it on tape since there weren't any VCRs yet...) it was the only place to see them.
I remember spending hours one xmas having to decide whether to ask my parents for Blitzwing OR Astrotrain. Damn that was a hard choice. And xmas morning, I discover they got me BOTH!! Happiest day of my life, I can tell you!

To add my own stats to this little sidebar discussion; I'm 39, not married and no kids, with a VERY patient girlfriend. I mean, really, she thinks my love of transformers is sweet! That's patience for ya!
gericault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #426
SHCKWAVE
Beast Machine

Man,these dicussions are making me think of all the various stories connected to my TF purchases.One memory that comes to mind was shopping with the folks at Canadian tire of all places and they had the frikkin Predacons.My mother said I could choose ONE as it was Christmas time and I already had "way too much" and it was difficult because I knew they all formed Predaking so my Dad was getting annoyed and finally said "Choose one NOW or nothing at all" so I chose Gnaw.LOL I didn't know who he was yet as I hadn't seen the movie but I remember thinking he was a creepy little bugger with those yellow eyes and those teeth and he ended up being one of my favorites.I don't own any of those non-licensed TF's but I'll 100% jump on the IGear Shartikon if it ever shows up.
SHCKWAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #427
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Yeah my early formative years were spent in an private exclusive boys catholic school. Grew up with priests. As for Beachcomber, that golden lagoon scene was pretty unforgettable.

I didn't have a lot TFs growing up since we were poor. Not a lot of childhood memories in getting some for Xmas.

My best purchase memory was Hasbro MP Grimlock. We had to go drive 45 minutes to meet up a board member here right after church. My mother, my daughter and the wife were all there and since it was very nice day and we just bought a new car, we all decided to go all the way to Ottawa. We ended up in the natural history museum and saw my first dinosaur bones. That was the best day for hunting TFs for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #428
MaxArel
RUN IT'S DREADWING
Send a message via MSN to MaxArel

Man, I feel out of place... I'm only 19. I've been collecting TFs since I was but a lad and although I was too young to remember my first one (all Beast Wars), my post precious was Megatron because I had gotten it as a patience gift when my little brother was born from my uncle and godfather, now fighting lung cancer. I showed a picture of him and I, the Dinosaur Megs in hand and it made him cry in joy from the good memories.

So yeah, I've been a fan my whole life. I lost it when BM arrived, come back with the movies and learned the wonders of G1. That's about it...

MaxArel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #429
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
37, married, 2 young kids, don't really remember shopping for Transformers as a kid, toy stores were not exactly around the corner, so all the Transformers I had were gifts for my birthday or Christmas. I do remember my last Transformer though; I was 12, we were shopping in Saco, MA, and my grandmother asked me to pick a Transformer, any. Narrowed down my choice to Apeface and Scorponok, went for Scorpy because he was bigger, but somehow I regretted it later, I hated how the city mode on Scorpy wasn't really functional for little cars and thought Apeface was a much cooler triplechanger.

I also remember my grandmother giving me Grimlock and Hoist at school during lunch for my birthday (she also was my teacher) when I was 11. Over the years I got the following:

Optimus Prime
Trypticon
Scorponok
Hun-grrr
Skywarp
Breakdown
Menasor
the small black Aerialbot
the red Protectobot car
Nautilator
Thundercracker
Grimlock
Hoist

My brother got Thrust, Slag and Inferno.
Damn. An awesome TF haul during lunch in school?! I have to try that with my own kids one time. hahaha.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #430
Protoman
The Legend

29. Saw the 1986 Movie when I was 4 with my next door neighbor and his mom, it was my first experience with Transformers (I didn't know there was toys or a comic or even a cartoon on TV). After we left that cinema at Decarie Square.... it changed everything. I asked my father to get me Hot Rod, when I described him, I told him he was a red and yellow robot. My poor french Canadian dad came back with Blaster..... and THUS MY FIRST TF WAS ACQUIRED!

I would then go on to watch G1 Season 3 and not get anymore Transformers till my 8th birthday party when one of my friends bought me a wack of Micromasters (Rescue Patrol, Sports Car Patrol and Battle Patrol). Later I would trade Seawatch and Roadhugger for Micromaster combiner Battle Patrol Direct-Hit and Powerpunch with a friend from school.

Due to the low lack of toys I had, I would pretend Blaster was Metroplex (Due to his scale to the Micromasters) and would lie him down in radio mode with his arms half transformed to make it look like a form of Autobot City with towers (Childhood imagination is funny huh). The Micromasters took the forms of popular characters (IE Direct-Hit was Optimus Prime, Power Punch was Megatron, Hyper Drive was Hot Rod, Fixit was Ratchet, ect). That would be the last Transformers I would ever get for more then 7 years (the TMNT era got my attention).

When G2 came out, I finally got to see those Season 1 and 2 episodes I never got to see as a kid and really wanted the G2 Inferno toy. G2 came and went quickly but it was that first Beast Wars toy commercial that aired (1 year before the show debuted on YTV) that brought me back and I got my first new toy after all those years, Cheetor.

I got the internet the following year (1996), joined ATT (alt.transformers.toys) and the rest was history.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote