Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus
DC Universe Online

So I finally got it all downloaded and installed. And ran through the introduction on PS3 last night.

And it doesn't seem too bad so far. I took Superman as my mentor. I like playing it with a controller. But I can imagine that chat / communication would be a problem without a keyboard of some sort. But I tend to play by myself mostly, so I'm not too concerned.

I tried to look up some reviews, but they all seem to date back to the release. And are pretty average. And I should hope that things have been fixed and updated since January. Maybe I should check Wikipedia for some info..

I tried to log in this morning for an hour before work, but it timed out. I presume they have weekly maintenance days like everyone else??

I have a few bucks in my PSN wallet, was thinking about the Green Lantern pack.. Does that also give you the option of having GL as a mentor??

I made level 3 by the end of Braniacs ship. But I didn't spend my points, since I had no idea what to use them for.

I will probably make a second character now that I have an idea what to expect.

Graphics are nice for a MMO, voices are cool. Can't wait to hear Hamills Joker again. And the Animated intro was awesome. Although I'm not familiar with Lex and his Mecha Suit. But maybe that isn't drawn from anything in the comics.

Was fun so far, gave me a break from Skylanders

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: DC Universe Online

I was one of the beta testers and it has gotten a lot better since then. There are some problems with long wait times to get on...there was a huge influx of people when they went free to play and the servers crashed, around 120,000 more in one day. I do recommend if people do the free to play thing, get the green lantern DLC for 10 bucks. it gets you a premium membership, 4 more character creation slots (instead of the 2 for FTP) more cash that you can have (the limit your amount in FTP) ..severely), more items you can carry and that helps out alot. Lex Luthor is voiced buy Spike from Buffy TVS. If you are going to play, I recommend playing PVE not PVP... in PVP people camp at the low level missions and kill you before you can level up, they wait for you at the door and follow you as well...cheap bastards. makes it impossible to do anything at all in the game. In PVE you can select if you want to combat other players or not. Look for me flying around as
"TheMimic" the character from the Marvel Exiles comic.
although my character is all "Collosus'd up" full on metal skin.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
CyberMnky
Animated

SO is the Free to Play any good? I've been interested in teh game since it was mentioned but not of the ability to afford time to pay monthly for it.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Its great, I fully recommend it. It is one of the best superhero games I have played to date. if you can, get the DLC it makes it even better...a new DLC is coming soon, the Flash pack. look up the game on GameFaqs, there are faqs about the powers and stuff like that, so you can decide what powers/weapons you want to use. I love to use the Green lantern "light powers" and the hand blaster weapon. give it a try, when you Download it from the playstation store, it is a 122 mb file (i think), then when you start the game file from the toolbar on the PS3 it starts the download...which is 20 gigs and takes about a night, lol. it is worth it though. I'd give it an 8.5 or a 9 out of 10...there are some problems but they don't break the game.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

^^ I only have about and hour into it and it's been fun so far. I'll elaborate on that more once I can sit down and get into it more.

As for the servers, definitely PvE.. I did a lot of PvP in WoW, mostly through the Battlegrounds. I didn't relish the idea of getting ganked at all times just because I blinked or had to look at my inventory screen or some such total nonsense.

The odd time it happened in world when I was flagged was bad enough. And they always hide when someone their size shows up. But then in PvP I was mostly the healer or support. Not one of the go getter Commando types. I only won 1 v 1 encounters a few times. And that was probably more luck than anything else.

So PvE all the way.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
CyberMnky
Animated

Hmmm, thanks guys I just may give it a shot then.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
Its great, I fully recommend it. It is one of the best superhero games I have played to date. if you can, get the DLC it makes it even better...a new DLC is coming soon, the Flash pack. look up the game on GameFaqs, there are faqs about the powers and stuff like that, so you can decide what powers/weapons you want to use. I love to use the Green lantern "light powers" and the hand blaster weapon. give it a try, when you Download it from the playstation store, it is a 122 mb file (i think), then when you start the game file from the toolbar on the PS3 it starts the download...which is 20 gigs and takes about a night, lol. it is worth it though. I'd give it an 8.5 or a 9 out of 10...there are some problems but they don't break the game.

Awesome I will have a look at Gamefaqs. The light powers sound cool, are they green or yellow for Hero and Villain??

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Noob question: What is PvE?

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
pandaprime
aficionado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Noob question: What is PvE?
Player versus environment, or PvE (also known as Player versus Monster, or PvM in some communities), is a term used in online games, particularly MMORPGs, CORPGs, MUDs, and other online role-playing video games, to refer to fighting computer-controlled enemies[1]—in contrast to PvP (player versus player).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_versus_environment

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pve

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akroyer View Post
Awesome I will have a look at Gamefaqs. The light powers sound cool, are they green or yellow for Hero and Villain??
green for hero and yellow for villain. check out youtube, there are vids of the powers in use.