Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Transformer Community of NB

Edit April 2013
New Merged Facebook Group Covering all of the Maritimes: http://www.facebook.com/groups/MaritimeKaon/
End of Edit

Its been my observation that Vancouver, Calgary, Winipeg, Toronto and the provinces they reside in have strong health TF fan base. I contribute this to a few things, Stronger financial sector and larger population base, with higher density per sq mile then my native NB.

What ive been experiencing in the random meeting with TF fans in NB is as followed. 1. Most openly the majority tell me there from Ontario or Halifax ( just visiting NB ). 2. When I ask if they are from NB, and they are, ive found that most have an abversion to swap meets or trading period. 3, Interpersonal skill and hygiene are less to be desired, not all but a few. Reminds me of my Trek years. 3. They have been a bit aptus/ snubby when I ask " are you on cybertron.ca? ", As if they as collectors are above the rest of us.

Its not all bad, I have meet a few Passionate fans. But the overal is discouraging. Is anyone else experience this in there home town/city. Anyone from Saint John intrested in doing a hangout swap meet? Suggestions?

Last edited by Gaetznes; 04-09-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Gaetznes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus
Re: Transformer Community of NB, or there lack of.

All I can say is I don't know anyone else here. But I do see one guy with a GI Joe T - Shirt in the toy aisles frequently enough to strike me as more than coincidence. Sometimes he's alone, and sometimes he has a small child with him. So, maybe he's just showing his kid the goodies.

But I have to assume, there are others around here. Just like my old RPG days.. They seem to be well hidden. I always knew there were several groups around. But, just never see or run into them. And any minor contact sounds as descibed. They aren't interested in contact, or talking outside their own circle. And seem to be upset at being bothered / discovered.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

I know and I've met at least three collectors that are in my area, and I've seen people wearing TF apparel in the mall from time to time
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I think Akroyer we had a similar conversation back in early spring. Distance was our issue.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

I've met Bubbacon face to face here in Moncton in the TF section at Walmart and have spoken a couple of times face to face or through emails. In fact it helps to have a few sets of eyes looking out for you. He managed to find me a Windcharger a few months back and we have help each other find other TFs since!
But like you say, most "suspected" collectors kinda give you the eye if they think you are encroaching on their hunting grounds and tend not to be all that social.
If there were something organized here in Moncton I would try to make an attempt to go and see whats what.
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

What we should do first for all of us of age is meet at a pub someday. PPL from SJ, Moncton, Freddy and beyond. That way we can get to know each other abit. if and when, that would be easier for the next time if we want to do a swap meet. Distance is the main issue. If we could find a suitable place in the middle of equal driving. Personally I wouldn't mind driving to either freddy or moncton once a month. Anyone else like the idea?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Cybertron.ca was key to building the fan Transformers Fan Community here in Winnipeg. In the first months that this website existed there were only 3 or 4 of us.

Granted we also have some of the things you mentioned like a higher population density and conventions and the like to further grow our fan community.

We also use facebook as well to organize local fans.

My suggestion would be for a couple of you to organize a fan event in Moncton or St. Johns to get the ball rolling. Rent some space at a flea market, advertise here, facebook, at Universitys, Anime Conventions(which I bet you guys have) maybe make your own website, so on, just to see if you can get something rolling.

Just for ideas check out our own site(s) www.iaconnorth.com or www.iaconnorth.webs.com for ideas. Webs is a free website site.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I like the idea about the flea market, maybe do a kijiji ad as a complement.

Im not sure what to do in regards to Fan Event. Do a season marathon of one TF series? Have a groug discussion over a few drnks.

Trufully id be happy with a group of 10 plus ppl, so each meet up theres atleast 5 that can show up. A collection of fans of the cartoons, figures and other media.

I do have to say that im wanting to tailor this to a certian age group. Perhaps the 18-20 and up. Old enought that the kid isn't being driven by mom, and mom wants to meet everyone. Strickly a adult fan base for most private events. Private in the sense of not held in a public domain like a flea market.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
sachiel_ca
Beasty

Up here in Freddy I've met a few fans through my job (Gamezilla) and have seen people in the toy section of the stores. Are know there's at least some dedicated fans up here. I can account for four personally. I've always been willing to build a stronger fan community in our area but your right about the apprehension some fans have about opening up. But I'll contribute to the movement in any way I can. Family is originally from St John so I know the area, and between local pubs and the Gamezilla locations there are lots of meeting areas.
sachiel_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Yeah, I should talk to sandy (manager, gamezilla, SJ), if he would be willing to allow swap meets etc there. Once a month.

Up in freddy, do you guys have a swap night? At gamezilla or other wise.