Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #71
vohkuhl
Cybertron
Re: Intervention Collection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
looks like elise is pregnant lol
My wife said that too when she watched it the first time. I'm happy she watches the show, it shows her how small my collection is in comparison to the collectors on the show.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #72
Prowl_2009
A Decepticons Downfall
Re: Collection Intervention

Missed the Flintstones episode on Monday...any idea where I could watch missed episodes online?

"Logic is the Ultimate Weapon." - Prowl

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Prowl_2009

Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook: Infinite Earths
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #73
pud333
Animated

I really enjoy the show. I've already commented before on this show in another thread, but I'm gonna expand a bit on it here. Here's my take on the show:

The show is not 100% reality of course, it's definitely scripted. But I think some of the core issues and problems are real. I'm the last person to tell someone else how to live their lives, but I've noticed a trend that I do think is a bit odd.

This whole, "If she doesn't accept my collection, she knows where the door is" mentality is unhealthy, but so is a spouse not accepting a collector's collection. Usually they knew what they were getting into, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone when a collector covets their collection. What the show does well is how the host handles these collectors and their spouses. In every episode, she makes it very clear she thinks collecting is awesome, and she's there to encourage the collecting, but in a more productive way that will give some compromise. Sometimes collectors need an outside viewpoint into their habits, to see what they are doing wrong, and what they are doing right.

In one episode, you had a guy who was customizing his own 1/6 scale figures for hours on end, at the expense of being a father to his kids and pursuing his dream job of working in comics or the movie industry. The host found a way for him to sell some stuff, like that rare Godzilla. By doing that, she's getting him to cross a threshold where it's okay to let some stuff go. That's why she focuses on one or two items; she knows she can't fix their issues overnight, but the goal is to show them compromise is the way to go. Baby steps. Later in the episode, she then buys him a tablet and animation software so he can get started in pursuing his true passion in life. I thought that was a really nice moment. The show may be scripted, but his response to her gift was genuine. In another episode, you had that comic guy who wanted his cake and eat it too. His wife was happy for him, but she said, "That's great. But what does that leave me?" You could see the pain in her face when she said it. In another show this guy was putting himself into debt buying Catwoman stuff, that he'd just throw away into a garage since he felt he should hide his collection.

Collecting and hoarding is a fine line sometimes. I don't think it's healthy if your collection is emotionally hurting your spouse. It's not healthy if your collection domiantes the entire home, leaving no room for your spouse. It's not healthy if you're putting yourself into debt because of your collecting. etc. At the end of the day, if a collector feels they can live without healthy human relations and just rely on their collection to keep them happy and take care of them when they are sick, or financially help them retire - that's on them. This is just my opinion.

That said, I already started to make changes to my collecting habits before I saw the show, and seeing the show only made me re-affirm my decisions; that compromise is healthy. My gf appreciates my collection, but at one point it was getting so large that she started to get annoyed. She then asked me one day, "I thought the point of you collecting was nostalgia, to buy the toys that have meaning to you. Now you're buying random Japanese anime toys? Since when do you care about that?" And she was right. I forgot my original purpose for collecting, so I started to pare it down to what was important to me. Besides collecting fewer toys, I started collecting high end toys of my favorite characters. I don't miss my cheap deluxe transformers at all. But I LOVE my MP TFs. My gf loves crafting, so I encourage it wholeheartedly. I used to hog the den with just my toys; now it has crafting stuff in there and we share it. It's all about compromise. Now, instead of freaking out when I get another toy, she gives me suggestions as to where the toy would look and fit best on the shelf. She even dusts my toy shelf for me! I failed to realize it was her home too, and she needs a place in it as much as I did. The collector must take his family into consideration when they collect, just as their family must accept the collection since it means so much to the collector. Seriously, if a spouse doesn't accept your collection at all, they are just doing the exact same thing the collectors on this show were doing: which is being closedminded to how their spouse feels about the collection, and being intolerant of their viewpoint. It works both ways.

That's why I enjoy this show. It's a nice balance.

Last edited by pud333; 10-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #74
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Found this while looking for info about the comic book guy in the season finale. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/...-intervention/
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #75
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

^there's also a video on sean long's youtube about that type of thing,

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #76
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
Collecting and hoarding is a fine line sometimes.

That said, I already started to make changes to my collecting habits before I saw the show, and seeing the show only made me re-affirm my decisions; that compromise is healthy.
This.

In fact, just today I put together a pile of stuff to take down to the Silver Snail to sell off, like all my MIB/OC BM Dinobots including the Target exclusive Magmatron.

I love them, but the just don't fit my new collecting paradigm. Which is show cast characters. The Dino's were never on the BM show, so they have to go no matter how much I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Found this while looking for info about the comic book guy in the season finale. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/13/how-master-collectors-became-collection-intervention/
I don't doubt this, but to be fair, would anyone really volunteer to be on ANY kind of intervention show?

Since most people who need an intervention don't think they do, the answer is likely no.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #77
TransformersforLife
Generation 1
Re: Intervention Collection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot_Lancer View Post
Best part is my girl is a collector as well. She likes transformers but she's a star wars collector. Which is fine by me as those are my two favorite things. She's already informed me that I'm not allowed to sell off any of my collection so I'm pretty sure I hit the jack pot !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfOjkB17BA
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #78
ImNotThePro
XBL - Im Not The Pro
ImNotThePro's Ebay Auctions

The show is not scripted or fake but it is exaggerated. At least that's what Sean Long said.
ImNotThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #79
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Thery are running a marathon of the series on Slice (Rogers cable 41) right now. The premier ep is going to start at 4:00, the Transformers ep (for those, like me, who missed it) will be on at 6:00.