Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #21
onecoin
Banned
Re: D-9 ?

Just a quick note. Do go watch this. Great Film. Not perfect, but nobody is gonna notice. Almost anything you can want in a Sci fi pic is here. Multiple Viewings required, just to appreciate all the levels this film works at.

Earlier the prognosticators put this and GI Joe in a tight race to win the box office, that tune has total changed. Some are even saying this may save the Summer Box office.

The plot is pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking. Basically, normal guy thrust in to hero role. Just the detail they throw in make it feel more real and compelling. The film style lends it self to this, coincidental? Yes. But somehow they make it believable. Kinda like when you watch a documentary of say an athelete and their trials and tribulations, and that athelete just happens to be the Gold winner at the Olympics. Kinda like that “how did they know" feeling

Aliens on earth? Been there done that. Just it hasn't been this fresh on film in a long time. On TV, yes. The real thing that comes through is the moral debate. Everything that was missing from the new star trek film is here. Opinion wise the producers do take a side, and the transferance is pretty transparent even before the end.

Film style. Its not Cloverfield, or Blair witch. Its mostly documetary style, but it does get pretty hectic the later it goes on. So beware to those prone motion sick.

Action. Yes. There is action. If you caught early trailers, there was almost no sign of action in those. If you caught the later trailers, it looked like it was just an action film. The film is cut into 2 really, the exposition portion which is the real stand out. Then the crazy second half of bloody violence. It almost become mind numbing, because of the mental comparison to the opening acts. If you want violence you will get it. And the weapons are very very cool. I got the same feeling I got when I discovered the RPG, or the Flamethrower or the Gravity Gun for the first time.

The action is probably the weakness in the film. If you can’t get into the exposition, the action is really a long time coming. If you get into the exposition, the action almost seems like it gets in the way. I didn’t have a real problem with it, but depending on the audience, the theatre vibe look like it can be pretty mixed. As violent as it gets though, I walked out of the theatre feeling that the violence was justified and it made sense through the course of the film.

The special effects. Outstanding. Like Forrest Gump, or the Harvester scene in T4, the special effects are completely organic (not organic looking, but in terms of blending on film). The “prawns” do look completely organic, and feel like they belong. There are portions that feel like those “Rachet and Clank” commercials where those kids are playing with the weapons from the game. For the most part the CG does take centre stage, but they don’t scream out, “Hey watch me I’m CG! These are the special effects you came to watch!” It mostly feels so real, bringing an earthiness to the film.

Acting. The lead, because he’s mostly like a correspondent, does a great job of keeping the viewer entertained, during what could be relatively boring footage. Helping to even out the film. The “Prawns” I know their not real, but the performance created for them seem so life like. Form face to face discussions with them to the ones just standing around in the background. The are not human, but the facial ticks and body language really convey their dialogue. And the ones in the background, they really seem like extras on a movie set, its quite impressive.

I would like to say this film grounds Sci Fi, like how Unbreakable and Batman Begins grounded Comic books. But grounded Sci Fi has been around a long time, it just got lost in the shuffle with all the killer CG Sci Fi action adventure. This film manages to do the opposite with the CG. It manages to connect Social Commentary, Political Discussion, Moral play, and Sci Fi Action in one palatable dose. Like Mary Poppins said “A Spoon full of Hardcore Action helps the medicine go down.”

Last edited by onecoin; 08-14-2009 at 07:47 AM.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #22
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Just came back from this... it was fantastic! I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so stop reading this and just go watch it

Spoilers...

OK, so you're still reading, I really have nothing bad to say about this film. It looks great, it sounds great, the acting is great and the plot is just right. Honestly I kept wanting more and more and was only dissapointed when it ended... but only because I wanted more

It reminds me so much of Half-Life 2, it just has that vibe from the lead to the aliens to the gravity gun! I'm just rambling at this point but the film looks believeable, it's nitty and gritty just like the real World. It's just nice to see a SciFi movie where the CGI characters actually have and develop character and the viewers can relate or have an emotional response to them, now if only Hasbro would take notice and apply to future theatrical releases
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca

Last edited by CobraCommander; 08-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #23
Phalanx
Generation 2

Definitely enjoyed the movie. I was left with a couple of questions, but putting those aside it was fun and required a little more thought than your average sci-fi action movie.
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #24
astrana
Nexus Maximus

just came back... i would say a very good very interestng movie..it's diffirent than the typical movie we sseen. very good, highly recommended
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #25
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

It was really good. It told a fairly simple story, but set the groundwork for a fascinating new sci-fi universe. The success of the film was in the pacing, the tension and ultimately the feelings it evokes. It was kinda sad in a few ways, so if you're the type that thinks "a movie needs to be an escape from the troubles of real life" blahblah, you won't get that relief. But if you want to see interesting characters that aren't just boring black and white good versus evil, this film delivers.

And as an aside, it becomes quite clear to even someone barely familiar with Halo that there was some kind of connection to Halo when the film was made.

Last edited by Nightscrabbler; 08-16-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #26
Autobot Hound
Tracking Cons since 87'

Great movie!! It's a different take on aliens coming to earth. I love how near half way the movie turns into a segway of so many games i know. Alien weapons pwned!!!

I just wonder if they will make a sequel.....3yrs after?
Autobot Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #27
Phalanx
Generation 2

Sony has already said the money for a sequel (2 actually) is available if Blomkamp and Jackson want to do it.

The movie certainly did enough setting up for a sequel, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see one.

I just hope that if they go the 2 sequel route that they treat the movies as individual movies that can stand on their own merits.
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote