Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
elburrito
Animated
all time best toys?

As a kid, I collected transformers up until about G2. I was coming off a fairly impressive SW and GI Joe collection and managed to trade most of those to obtain pretty much every NA transformers toy.

I stopped at G2 Sideswipe and didn't think about it again until 2004 when I stumbled upon Hasbro 25th Prime while birthday present hunting. Well...let me tell you.10 years and about 300 toys later my taste for these things does not appear to have waned.

Of course my focus is G1 and I have been a purist until I discovered Cybertron Convoy. I always preferred molds based on pretty much the 1st episode of cartoon MTMTE and don't have a single A, E, C toy.

Cybertron Convoy is just an awesome toy and this makes me wonder what gems might be out there hiding in lines I have never paid any attention to. So where to look? Canada's sum of knowledge of all things Transformers!

So this thread is to invite suggestions/thoughts on what is the all time best toy (from any line or company) of:

Optimus Prime
Jazz
Wheeljack
Prowl
Bluestreak
Ratchet
Ironhide
Sideswipe
Sunstreaker
Hound
Mirage
Trailbreaker
Brawn
Gears
Huffer
Cliffjumper
Bumblebee
Windcharger

Megatron
Starscream
Skywarp
Thundercracker
Shockwave
Soundwave
Reflector
Lazerbeak
Ravage
Rumble

No need to answer every one of these, but you are welcome to if you like. I was thinking if a person had an idea for one, the sum of ideas would complete the list.

Also, no need to say why, but you are welcome. I'm probably going to hunt down anything I'm bot familiar with and don't mind "discovering" the why.

Finally, if you think of a flat out great toy of another character than what is above, fire away.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: all time best toys?

For me, I'd have to go with the original G1 toys for pretty much all of them.

The originals provided a good balance of appearance (representing the character in the various modes), and construction (materials and workmanship).

Although the design is lacking with regard to articulation, to me, it is great that the toys are simple and could be transformed quickly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

No Jetfire?? I always loved that one....every time I was at a friends house he let me play with Jetfire.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
laffy
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post

The originals provided a good balance of appearance (representing the character in the various modes), and construction (materials and workmanship).

Although the design is lacking with regard to articulation, to me, it is great that the toys are simple and could be transformed quickly.
Sorry to say but no kid gives a rats a## about articulation.. that is where todays TF are going in the wrong place and is also why tfs are going down hill... the best thing about g1 back I the day si that it transforms quick and was fun to play with. todays tfs you play with them and they fall apart and break....

Leave the MPs with full articulation for us collectors as well as the generation's line but go back to the good old routes with all other lines including the movie line.....
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Generally speaking if it has a toy in the masterpiece line then thats the best version. If not its probably a classics/generations versions that are the best.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

I'll suggest a few...

For Optimus it's MP 10, but yes the Cybertron version is great, and if you're short on space the THS01 is the most amazing little version of him!

For Megatron I find the Leader Animated version a great rendition of the character, and the Armada version is lots of fun despite the limited poses.

Nothing beats Classics Jazz...but the lesser know SG Botcon version is clever, and of course the Binaltech/Alternator version with Reprolabels is a nice stand-in for an MP line.

For Starscream the latest Japanese Mp version with cape is best, however, the Japanese only Cybertron Voyager version is amazing...if you want a huge version there's that oversized g1 style at TRU still, but the voyager is still one of the more memorable renditions of him.

For Wheeljack, be sure to check out the Energon version, it was actually a pretty solid G1 homage, and he stood in my CHUG line until Hasbro made a new version with the Tracks mold...of course the upcoming MP will be the best version, but it's cool to know of previous versions that did a good job capturing the character. The powerlinx feature was really fun if you had two deluxes or two voyagers to make a figure 2x sized...

Just a note: I'm intentionally not including 3rd party as it would make the list long and unofficial, but there are many really good offerings there too...the recent IDW iGear seekers, for example, are a home run!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

I gotta put in a vote for the Jumpstarters!

I only had Twin Twist as a kid, but I loved him! You can't beat the gimmick, pull back, runs across the floor, then flips through the air and lands on it's feet!
Old 08-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I don't know about all time best toy but a couple of recent releases would be among my faves just for transformation and overall look being WFC Megatron and PRID Wheeljack I don't know if I could go all time fav TF.

Last edited by wervenom; 08-23-2014 at 06:40 PM.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Megatron75
Alternator

It's not on your list but you may want to check out RID Scourge/Car Robots Black Convoy, if you haven't already. It's a very cool figure. I love the chromed out trailer. I think the mold looks better in the Scourge color scheme than in the G2 Optimus Prime colors.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffy View Post
Sorry to say but no kid gives a rats a## about articulation.. that is where todays TF are going in the wrong place and is also why tfs are going down hill... the best thing about g1 back I the day si that it transforms quick and was fun to play with. todays tfs you play with them and they fall apart and break....

Leave the MPs with full articulation for us collectors as well as the generation's line but go back to the good old routes with all other lines including the movie line.....
I'm on this boat too. G1 > everything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Generally speaking if it has a toy in the masterpiece line then thats the best version. If not its probably a classics/generations versions that are the best.
But this also resonates with me. If there is an MP then MP > or = G1

There is one exception, MP Ravage. I don't like him. Classics Ravage is worse. G1 is still king for Ravage even though there is an MP.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote