Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
Soundwaves
Robot Master
Re: Earthrise appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
I know it's not the place here but I'm genuinely underwhelmed by Earthrise. Don't get me wrong, I think the engineering is much improved and designs are nice. But despite the price hikes, the toys still exhibit the same cheap feeling plastic and hollowness we're accustomed to seeing with most mainline TFs.

For example, look at Optimus, voyager scale at leader price...The cab is nice, in terms of engineering, arguably one of the best renditions of a mainline OP but the plastic is utterly terrible feeling and the trailer's ridiculously under-scaled and under-painted (and not to mention no roller).

Price is undoubtedly the biggest problem I have with these, and unfortunately that's the new norm going forward. OP is close to $80 after taxes and with lack of sales and shody distribution, we're essentially now forced to buy at regular price. I'm not sure how many of you justify that price and are Ok with dropping $80 on a mainline voyager figure. G1 nostalgia at insane price points I guess.
Paid 69.99 for a trailer less g1 prime.
Kinda reset my perception of value.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
Marcotron
Robot Master

With the price hikes on top of price hikes being what they are, this is actually pushing me towards trying to get masterpiece figures.
Why pay a premium for something that isn't perfect, and made with retail sensibilities in mind, when you can wait and maybe find a deal on the most perfect figure they can make...

The price hikes are making third party toys seem more reasonable.
I recently got some Wei Jang OS figures of Ironhide, Ratchet, Inferno and Bumblebee, and I'm really impressed with them. They look perfect, added die cast too, and they're bigger than the "deluxe" size of most masterpieces.

My Earthrise list of wants/needs is basically Hoist and the Quintesson. I might get Starscream as a replacement for my classics figure, but that's only if he's on sale.
For me, it's also a space issue. I've got 1 detolf shelf for the original decepticons. Choices must be made. They are already cramped in there.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Really? You guys like ER Starscream better than Siege? Okay then,lol. To be fair, i always kinda detested the classics mold anyway so not surprised the ER is less than impressive to me. He's not bad but there is a TON of room for improvement and accuracy. Be careful with them tiny chest tabs.
Chest tabs are a non-issue, you'd have to be transforming your toy with hammers and pliers to break them.

And yes, way better than the Siege version, whose chest pops off all the time during transformation.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
joelones
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
With the price hikes on top of price hikes being what they are, this is actually pushing me towards trying to get masterpiece figures.
Why pay a premium for something that isn't perfect, and made with retail sensibilities in mind, when you can wait and maybe find a deal on the most perfect figure they can make...

The price hikes are making third party toys seem more reasonable.
I recently got some Wei Jang OS figures of Ironhide, Ratchet, Inferno and Bumblebee, and I'm really impressed with them. They look perfect, added die cast too, and they're bigger than the "deluxe" size of most masterpieces.

My Earthrise list of wants/needs is basically Hoist and the Quintesson. I might get Starscream as a replacement for my classics figure, but that's only if he's on sale.
For me, it's also a space issue. I've got 1 detolf shelf for the original decepticons. Choices must be made. They are already cramped in there.
Yep, I got the Black Apple (MPM04) Optimus at around $120 CDN at the time and it's absolutely phenomenal - hard to compare anything mainline in terms of price to that figure. And good on you to set limits on buying for a single detolf shelf - you're probably gonna be glad you did in the future.

As for all the prices hikes and I hate to say it my friends, it's hardcore fan price gouging at its best.

The Transformers franchise/IP isn't exactly the hottest thing right now. Besides the recent announced Netflix show, what's gonna be driving sales in the short term and foreseeable future? A short lived mediocre series, another movie?... Also with the changing face of retail, consumer (kids) habits changing and the inevitable reduction in shelf space dedicated to TFs (reason for the poor distribution in recent years), prices need to go up to sustain corporate profits at the product line level (remember public companies are beholden to their shareholders first, not their fans).

So if revenues fall margins need to increase to offset that shortfall, simple as that. And who bares the brunt of that increase - well, you guessed it - the forever faithful hardcore TF purest...you're welcome Hasbro!

Last edited by joelones; 02-26-2020 at 03:01 PM.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

^^ I think he meant the G1 reissue with no trailer for 69.99
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #16
Oreobuilder
Cybertron

No offense to anyone, but why did the “ER Appreciation thread” turn into the “Complaining About Transformers Prices” thread? I thought this thread would have positivity and, you know, appreciation? Maybe that’s just me.

Back on topic, I have yet to pick up any ER bots, but I am really looking forward to getting the Micromasters bases. I can’t wait to connect them to Omega Supreme and build a super base!

Last edited by Oreobuilder; 02-26-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Oreobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #17
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreobuilder View Post
No offense to anyone, but why did the “ER Appreciation thread” turn into the “Complaining About Transformers Prices” thread? I thought this thread would have positivity and, you know, appreciation? Maybe that’s just me.

Back on topic, I have yet to pick up any ER bots, but I am really looking forward to getting the Micromasters bases. I can’t wait to connect them to Omega Supreme and build a super base!
Agreed. Anyway I didn't get around to Hoist last night but will for sure tonight. I'm gonna try the hand attachment from the Generatuons Hoist kit to see if it looks better than the big honking orange cannon he comes with
Old 02-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #18
Pascal
Banned

Hoist was one of the last Transformers I got as a kid, so this new version is really tempting. If the hands were not that visible in alt mode... Maybe a 3rd party could come up with new arms that would hide the hands perfectly?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Hoist was one of the last Transformers I got as a kid, so this new version is really tempting. If the hands were not that visible in alt mode... Maybe a 3rd party could come up with new arms that would hide the hands perfectly?
I'm gonna remove the hands for altmode and see what that does
Old 02-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #20
Marcotron
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
And good on you to set limits on buying for a single detolf shelf - you're probably gonna be glad you did in the future.
Well, that's what I have on display. I have all my previous displayed toys packed in boxes in the closet. That's getting cramped in there too. But when the second child was born, I had to move the toys out of that room into storage. If I had my way, I would have a shelf for every iteration of Transformers. The limits are set by how mad the wife gets.

As for Earthrise, It's a great concept, and I really like that the first year cast are all going to be remade as close to their original looks as possible. I just can't afford, and can't fathom buying most of them. The articulation and details are all there too.
The Megatron is just slightly different than the Siege version. And either of them are not as nice looking as my CW Leader (he stands in the front of my MP-05 and behind my original G1 Megatron). But that's what happens when Megatron can't be a gun anymore.
I'm also intrigued by the Double Dealer. I have what I was told was a KO of it, and it's a brick, but it does a lot of things. So that'll be fun to see a new version of that. I wasn't thrilled with Apeface's new mold, I passed on that one, even at Walmart's crazy blowout sale a few weeks ago. I'm only regretting a little, passing on Ultra Magnus at that price, but the CW version is just fine for me.
As nice as Optimus looks, I just don't need another Prime.
But anyways, Hoist and Quintesson, and maybe Starscream.
My list of Siege purchases for comparison was: Hound (on sale for $12), Springer (full price cuz he was impossible to find), Jetfire (on sale for $75 from Amazon).
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote