Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #271
faustx
ShelfLife Founder
Re: ShelfLife Beta Test Announcement: Very Exciting Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose519 View Post
I agree that IE totally sucks, but I don't think the percentage is quite that low:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...f_web_browsers
Internet is my life. We're all over the browser stats:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

IE7 definitely below 4% at present. That being said, we'll try to support everything we can.

Last edited by faustx; 11-30-2011 at 08:18 PM.
faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #272
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylo View Post
Would it not just be easier and simpler to have them listed individually rather than sets? Your response is very confusing.
To maintain the structure of our data and make a truly great site across millions of potential products we need to handle things in a specific way. One of the keys to making this all work out is that products are products and items are the things that come in those products. As such a Botcon set have multiple items and they were sold together. You can therefore find them on the Parts & Pieces tab on any given Product Details page. You will still be able to buy/sell/trade at the Item level but you won't see items alongside products in catalogue mode. You WILL however be able to filter catalogues to show items only, which will be sweet, we're just not quite there yet. Within the week on that I think.

James
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #273
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaP_Prime View Post
Not sure if this has been asked yet, but just wondering when we can expect to see catalouges for series like Beast Wars and Robots in Disguise?
Beast Wars has been claimed and is being set up by a curator. RID is not yet claimed...want to curate it?

James
Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #274
pandaprime
aficionado!

Is there any parameters for the pictures being added? I noticed some are in package and some are not so when they are mixed together it looks kind of "cluttered"?

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #275
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
Is there any parameters for the pictures being added? I noticed some are in package and some are not so when they are mixed together it looks kind of "cluttered"?
Ideally we'd like the main photo for each product to be the sealed version, but at this stage, any photo is a good photo. If you look at a catalogue like say Marvel Universe you'll see what happens when all the images are consistent. Tres sexy.

Part of being a great curator is keeping up on the images donated by regular users and rearranging the photo galleries so that catalogue pages look as good as possible.

As time goes on, the images will trend toward excellent, but for that to happen everyone needs to donate as much as they can.

Go for it!

James
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #276
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovner View Post
Man I wish I could log on at work and mess around on the site. For some reason when I put in my email and password, then click Login, nothing happens.
I'm running IE 7 here.
That must be my issue at home as well.

@Shelflife,

Its easy for people to say do this, or do that, but if it comes down to paying an IT guy to upgrade something just so I can check out the only website I currently can't, well that aint happening.

I'd need to have some other real problem before I put money down to get something upgraded or fixed.

I did get to check out the site yesterday, and I like the idea, but it frankly isn't worth paying for. Unless there is somekind of free IE upgrade available I don't know how much I'll be able to use the site.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #277
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Don't be sorry! Keep the suggestions flowing. That's the best way to ensure that ShelfLife grows in the best way.

That's a good point. I think the best solution for this is to update the instructions' names to include the name of the TF it belongs to. Eg: "Breakdown Instructions".
Yes, that and the bio/tech spec cards could also use those names.

So do we suggest this using the curator tools, or is this something we should consider "on the list"?

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #278
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
That must be my issue at home as well.

@Shelflife,

Its easy for people to say do this, or do that, but if it comes down to paying an IT guy to upgrade something just so I can check out the only website I currently can't, well that aint happening.

I'd need to have some other real problem before I put money down to get something upgraded or fixed.

I did get to check out the site yesterday, and I like the idea, but it frankly isn't worth paying for. Unless there is somekind of free IE upgrade available I don't know how much I'll be able to use the site.
Hey there,

I think you misunderstood. Suggesting your IT department update for SL was a joke. We're well aware of how unlikely that is.

That being said, IE7 is a dying browser, and many major sites no longer support it. Some of these sites have no conflicts and are just being future forward, and some have no choice due to code conflicts.

As I've stated a few times, we'll do our best to accommodate your need. No one likes not being able to login due to browser issues.

p.s. Not sure where the "paying for" part came in? ShelfLife will be free to do everything but sell, and then, only if you sell a lot. Compared to Ebay, it is going to be a very sweet deal for everyone involved. Remember, you've only been given a fraction of the functionality we have planned. The focus for the beta is to get more products into the system, test the collection tools, and roll out some new upgrades for you guys to play with along the way in anticipation of the January e-commerce launch. Let us know if we're missing something from your comment though, we're always open to constructive feedback.

Cheers

James
Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #279
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Yes, that and the bio/tech spec cards could also use those names.

So do we suggest this using the curator tools, or is this something we should consider "on the list"?
Tech/Spec cards are tricky, mostly because they are always on the outside of the package. As such they are tough to handle because when the product is MISB they are on the outside, but once opened, they may or may not be attached. We don't have an easy fix for this at present, and my experience as a TF collector suggests most of us don't think they are required for a TF to be complete unless we're asking for MIB or MISB.

Thoughts on that?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #280
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustx View Post
Tech/Spec cards are tricky, mostly because they are always on the outside of the package. As such they are tough to handle because when the product is MISB they are on the outside, but once opened, they may or may not be attached. We don't have an easy fix for this at present, and my experience as a TF collector suggests most of us don't think they are required for a TF to be complete unless we're asking for MIB or MISB.

Thoughts on that?
My post was further to my previous post, about Botcon sets, and how listing "instructions" five times was not very useful as it wasn't clear whose instructions are whose. Chris suggested listing them as "Instructions - Breakdown", "Instructions - Pyro", etc.

I was just saying the same thing should be done with tech/spec cards. "Tech/Spec Card - Breakdown", "Tech/Spec Card - Pyro"

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collecting, shelflife