Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #21
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: Smoking-free environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
i recall reading quite recently report of a study that found mj smoke contains about 20x the amonia and 3-5x the hydrogen cyanide as tobacco smoke. there was no mention of tar (which, i think is a big contributor to discolouration and smell). not sure the effects of amonia or hydrogen cyanide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-hand_smoke

http://www.ukcia.org/research/ComparisonOfSmoke.pdf

This report? While your numbers match theirs you neglect to mention that variables in chemical levels could also be attributed to the fertilizers used in growing the plants - higher nitrate fertilizer, more ammonia in the smoke

Regardless. When you smoke inside, it lingers and sticks to things. I've never had a figure stink like weed but I've totally smelled some nasty ones at flea markets etc, where you can tell the owner would chain smoke cigs in the room with the toy.

Any teenager can tell you that while weed reeks, the smell washes. Compare to the yellow stained fingers of pack a day smoker, that shit don't wash off.

Either way it's a bad call and can't be good for the figure
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #22
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
I saw that many times, whether it's on this board or eBay, were the seller will add this in his description; figures was on the shelf for display never played. And it comes from a smoke-free environment, something along those lines. I never understood what smoke can do to a figure, I mean is it important if it comes from a smoke-free environment or no?
Its the smell. Its terrible and the only way to get rid of it is to wash the figures with soap. I have gotten figures from a non smoke free home and it reeked.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:00 AM   #23
metacooler
Dinobot

If a figure has any white on it and it comes from a smoking home it will have some yellowing 100%. The smell gets into the plastic and is very hard to get out but I have bought figures from non smoking homes that still stink bad. A few times I got figs that stunk because of mold in the persons home. If I had to choose I'd prefer a smoke to smell to a mold smell. I have a few figs and boxes in my garage because I refuse to bring mold into my house. If you pick up from a persons home and you smell smoke or mold, know the figs you take home will smell the same.
metacooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #24
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
That is why I prefer and tend to buy figures that are sealed and never opened. Less problems.
The box or cardboard backing will still reek of smoke. I'd imagine a lot, as the porous paper would absorb lots of cigarette.
Even if the Transformer is protected in plastic, your 1st impression would still be cigarette damage from the box smell.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #25
elburrito
Animated

This is the abstract I saw, <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071217110328.htm>

It could be in relation to the same study. It makes sense that whatever a person feeds a plant would show up in its fruit.

I also looked up the effects of Ammonia and Hydrogen Cyanide on plastics. It appears that Ammonia can cause micro-scratches on clear plastic that can begin to make it opaque (talking about cleaning with ammonia though, not accumulation from smoke).

Apart from that, I have not found anything else to suggest that either is particularly damaging to toys.

At the end of the day though, smoke damage is not necessarily a deal-breaker for me. I picked up a box of G1s from a buddy years ago. Smoke damage was the least of their issues. They were dirty, rusty and some may have been chewed by an animal.

Ended up taking many apart, soap and water, peroxide treatment and some paint. The effort was sort of fun and I ended up with a few nice toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-hand_smoke

http://www.ukcia.org/research/ComparisonOfSmoke.pdf

This report? While your numbers match theirs you neglect to mention that variables in chemical levels could also be attributed to the fertilizers used in growing the plants - higher nitrate fertilizer, more ammonia in the smoke

Regardless. When you smoke inside, it lingers and sticks to things. I've never had a figure stink like weed but I've totally smelled some nasty ones at flea markets etc, where you can tell the owner would chain smoke cigs in the room with the toy.

Any teenager can tell you that while weed reeks, the smell washes. Compare to the yellow stained fingers of pack a day smoker, that shit don't wash off.

Either way it's a bad call and can't be good for the figure

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 AM   #26
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
First, tar from cigarettes are deposited throughout the room including on the figures. Secondly, the smell of cigarettes is very pungent and completely permeates the room and even Wallpaper. I used to smoke a lot and so I know exactly how smoke affects the quality of goods. I can say that I have already quit Smoking and from time to time relieve stress with the help of weed, it smells much nicer https://www.marijuanabreak.com/reall...mell-like-weed and it does not leave such consequences as cigarette smoke.

Never thought next time I sell toys need to add "from smoke-free and weed-free home"

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #27
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
I once got a mostly white figure from a smoker's collection and it had significant yellowish-brown deposits from smoke in all the little creases and detail lines, plus a fair bit of staining. And it smelled strongly. I cleaned the figure a LOT but to this day visible traces of cigarette smoke reside and staining remain.
The nicotine grease in the smoke covers everything it touches in a layer of brown, sticky and extremely pungent gunk (now imagine all of that in your throat and lungs - it's a wonder why anyone smokes at all).

This usually isn't a problem with most smokers because many store their figures in display cases, keeping the smoke from coming into contact with the figures. I purchased many figures from smokers who did this and the figures are pristine.

The problematic ones are the smokers who leave their figures unprotected. I bought a Generations Metroplex from a smoker who flat-out lied about the condition of the figure and he actually came yellow and stank to the high heavens.

I spent about an hour scrubbing Metroplex, his accessories and the outer surface of the box with a homemade cleaning solution of water, vinegar and baking soda. This cuts the nicotine grease down completely, returning everything back to its original white colour and removing the odour.

I heard ammonia does the same, but who has large quantities of ammonia sitting around the house?

Edit: LOL, didn't notice I was responding to a revived thread...

Last edited by OldOfflineMan; 03-20-2019 at 09:40 AM.
OldOfflineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #28
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
Never thought next time I sell toys need to add "from smoke-free and weed-free home"
I 2nd this, weed smells just as bad....
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #29
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN View Post
I smoke dope in my living room where most of my collection is on display and stored. It's just part of the hobby for me, smokin' dope and posing/transforming/bagging all my dudes. I've worried about it a bit in the past, but I haven't noticed it leaving any smell or residue. Weed smoke definitely doesn't leave that aweful ashtray smell lingering on items, and I imagine if it left a smell at all, it would be a little sweet. I mostly vape my volcano now, though, and almost all my collection is behind glass or in a polypro baggy these days, so I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem.
Dude, if you think that everything in your house DOESN'T reek like dope, you're deeply deluded.

Here's a video that shows the extreme level cigarette tar can get to.: https://youtu.be/AdvvKQDL5GI

Last edited by Shockwave 75; 03-20-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Shockwave 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #30
zhaobinis1
Beasty

i bought a used lego set from a smokers home. it has strong smell even after washing it with soap water. i left it in the storage closet and a few weeks later the whole closet smells. 3 years later, the tires still smells when you get closer.
zhaobinis1 is offline   Reply With Quote