Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #91
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: (SPOILERS ALLOWED) Transformers RoTF Your Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post

Soundwave is nice and all, but I really wished they'd treated his voice to match G1 instead of keeping it just as Dr. Claw.
The Fallen needed a little more screen time I think and the fight between him and Prime could have lasted maybe five more minutes.

Ravage was awesome, but his fate sucks, and shouldn't Bay have had a shot made with a reaction from Soundwave to at least show he cared for his 'pet'?

I love, LOVE the reference to the G2 Megatron toys weapon at the end. (In case you aren't sure what I mean, Biggles-Jones and Cobra built it back in the day, not the U.S government and its initials are R.G.)

Does anyone else think it was neat that the newscaster called him President Obama? Makes the whole movie seem like it could be taking place in a semi-paralelle to our world.

OH, oh and one last thing, Sam's College Teacher, loved his throwaway line to Beast Wars Megatron. "I am the Alpha and the Omega." Totally Awesome.
Oddly enough, Soundwave's G1 voice is just Dr. Claw put through a vocoder (there's an episode of G1 where they forgot to modify it, though which one escapes me right now). I agree with you in that I would have liked him to sound a little more mechanical, but it sounded like they removed a lot of the "synth effects" on voices in this movie.

As for the fate of Ravage, all I could think about while it was happening was "Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat". Now that you've mentioned Soundwave mourning his pet, all I can think of is that "Rumble! You're killing Rumble!" scene from Robot Chicken.

I don't know if the whole rail gun thing was a reference to the G2 comics, as rail gun technology is something that's actually being worked on and has showed up in a couple other movies/games/shows, but it would be a nice nod to the comics if it was, just like Sam absorbing the contents of the Allspark/Matrix.

Similarly, Im not sure if the "Alpha and Omega" line was meant to be a Beast Wars reference, as it dates back to Christian translations/dogma done in Greek (a lot of which, along with Latin, is used in Astronomy, science, and University as a whole), but again, if intentional, it was a nice touch.

As for the Obama statement, I thought it was a neat trick that they kept that comment as a voice-over off camera, so they could have used either Obama or McCain, depending on who won. The Swine Flu joke was the same, done off camera and probably added in very late in the production.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #92
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

+1 to all that was said in this post...

It's just such a great, fun, summer popcorn flick. Man I could watch those visuals over and over...and I will, when the DVD comes out...and I'll probably FFWD thru some of the drawn-out scenes...and watch the cool stuff again, and again, and again.

I suspect I will enjoy it more the 2nd and possibly third time I see it. It's like the first one in this regard--Bay is not the best storyteller--the story in there is more easily "absorbed" with each viewing because his sense of pace and rhythm is about as acute as a first time piano student.

If I crave a lack of intellect, incontinuities and potty humor (which I enjoyed BTW...laughter is medicine for me), I shall refer to the plethora of OTHER choices in our incredibly massive and ever-expanding world of Transformers...G1, Beast Wars, Animated, comic series, novels...from a high level, this franchise offers just about anything a fan could ask for...why does the movie have to 'do it all'?

And a big, flashy, fun, fast movie is a CHOICE we all have now...wait, make that 2 movies to choose from!? F'n sweet.

Thanks to Hasbro, Bay, ILM et. all.

--Echo

PS--non-combining DEVY makes way more sense now...each limb doesn't have a bot mode...from my perspective, the other 'Cons are different protoforms!!!! Doesn't make the toy any prettier, but the logic is easier to digest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us and Them View Post

It was a long movie, sure..And worth every minute of it. There could have even been more, more story etc. I'd have been fine with that too. The TF movie, it is what it is, and it was done really well at that. And besides, if Shia screaming like a girl running from the fembot terminator didn't have you in tears, well...Lighten up.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #93
optimus_mike83

Saw it this afternoon - I liked it... but it's definitely a "leave your brain at the door" kind of movie.

So who is left at the end? are all the other autobots dead, sans optimus? on the decepticon side, megatron starscream and soundwave are still around?

(Thanks to tfw2005 member Solid Alexei for the pic!)
optimus_mike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #94
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
...why does the movie have to 'do it all'?
Sorry, don't mean to pick on you, but my answer to this is why can't it have it all? Characters, story, action, it's all been put together successfuly before, winning not only critical acclaim but fan praise too. I only have to point to the Dark Knight to emphasize this point. We as fans can be too forgiving at times. If you take all the crap that they give you and eat it with a smile, they'll keep giving you that crap. If you tell them no, give me somthing better, it forces them to rethink their approach and we may get a better movie.

I mean think about the toys. They've gone from the G1 bricks that are only good for display to some amazingly posiable figures we have today. Part of that is in response to fans wanting/demanding better figures. We don't want bricks, we want awesome looking figures that we can pose.

All I'm saying is don't settle for less when it's obvious that they can do better because better has been done.

On a different note, did anyone think that Jetfire kind of resembled and reminded you of the pirate Davey Jones from Pirates of the Carribean?
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #95
SimonMK
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus_mike83 View Post
Saw it this afternoon - I liked it... but it's definitely a "leave your brain at the door" kind of movie.

So who is left at the end? are all the other autobots dead, sans optimus? on the decepticon side, megatron starscream and soundwave are still around?
Now that you mention it, right when the battle end, we just see OP but not the others... :S

We still don't know what happened to Barricade since the first movie...

Scorponok's appearance was nice but felt more like a cameo or rushed as in ''Let get over with him already''. I mean, we just see it come out of the ground in slow-motion and get shot to death.

Last edited by SimonMK; 06-25-2009 at 01:38 AM.
SimonMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #96
BeeBoy29
Alternator

anyone know which con took sam's parents when there in paris?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #97
exoskeleton

/\

it was me.

haha..

actually quick question.. i noticed that they recycled alot of the contructicons in the big Auto V Decpi desert battle while Devastator was combined.... wtf?
like wasnt long haul the big green guy WHILE devastator wsa making love to the pyramid?

OR MY ELECTRONIC MUSIC

exoskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #98
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoskeleton View Post
actually quick question.. i noticed that they recycled alot of the contructicons in the big Auto V Decpi desert battle while Devastator was combined.... wtf?
like wasnt long haul the big green guy WHILE devastator wsa making love to the pyramid?
This has actually been covered a number of times in this thread already. Short answer: There's more than one long haul.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #99
JaySmith
Banned
JaySmith's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
This has actually been covered a number of times in this thread already. Short answer: There's more than one long haul.
There's definitely more then a couple of the Constructicons which appeared more than once, even while Devastator was combined, which was extremely disappointing. Needless to say, I thought the movie was only ok in comparison to the first. There was definitely alot that was not explained that I wish would have been explained, and alot that should have hit the cutting room floor in my opinion.

Given I was rudely interrupted during the film on a number of occasions by some Filipino kids running around like the theater was their own personal amusement park, it was definitely hard to focus on the story line unfortunately. So I will have to wait until the DVD is released to purchase this movie, and enjoy it in the comforts of my own home where I can judge it in accordance. lol

Notice to parents, if you've decided you're going to bring your child to a movie that technically should hold their attention span, but it does not, keep your fucking kids in check please and thank you.

Last edited by JaySmith; 06-24-2009 at 11:48 PM.
JaySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #100
Nyghtwynd
Robot in Disguise

I really liked it. The comics and novel helped a lot with the lead up, and... JETFIRE!! HELL YEAH!!!

Even an old man can fight awesome, show young whippersnappers how they did things back in the day.
Nyghtwynd is offline   Reply With Quote