Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron
LEDS---How to use??

Hey guys, I have a question for you.

Has anyone done any work with LEDs? I'm thinking of lighting a model I'm working on and I can't seem to find any really clear and specific "how to guides". For example, lets say I buy a bunch of 5mm LED bulbs for ebay and I want to run them to a power source that will plug into the wall socket, how do I wire them all together so they light. Also I might want to add some "flashers" as well. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?(Pardon the pun. )
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus
Re: LEDS---How to use??

In order to plug them into a wall outlet you will need a transformer(haha) to convert it to low voltage. To make an LED flash you will need to build a circuit board. I've never found and easy to follow guide, I think because it isin't that simple. I use lights from other toys. The dollar store is a good place to score cheap LEDs and batteries. I buy the "finger lasers" they come in 4 colors(white, red, blue and green) and include batteries and a simple on/off switch. For flashers I watch for tonka emergency vehicle sales. Quite often you can cut them out and they have buttons, batteries, circuit boards and LEDs.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
chans formers
raff ow roud

you can also go to your local value village.
a good bag of toys with electronics/lights/sounds will usually run you a couple dollars.
get'em and gut'em,as a bonus,you also get free small machine screws for future customs

police cars
helicopters
tanks
playskool rescue robots(good electronics,but more of a p.i.t.a to take apart as almost every mold seam/join area is glued and screwed)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Aernaroth
Metroplex

In terms of bare-bones "make light go" circuitry, you just need to connect the leads from the LED to the battery with some wire, and make sure your current goes from negative to positive (that is, if your connection doesn't produce light, switch the leads, as you likely were connected to the wrong end of the battery). Put electrical tape over your bare wire (especially at the connections) once you're done to prevent shocking and burning. For best results, look at the voltage and current requirements for your LED and compare that to the battery or other power source you're using.

If you want to use a wall socket, you'll need to use some kind of transformer or other form of power converter. Batteries might be smarter for a model, unless you're going to want it to light up all the time.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote