Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 07-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #51
Quantum
Uh-huh.
Re: Transformers Movie Review Thread (SPOILER WARNINGS)

Holy Fuck! All I gotta say is that that was one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'm completely blown away.

I'm not sure why people are saying it had a thin plot. The plot was simple, sure, but not thin. It was consistent and believable, at least in my mind.

It was waay funnier than I thought it would be, and the CGI was unreal.

I'm totally going to see it again, more than once.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #52
Pascal
Banned

Movie was good but several characters lacked characterization... that movie should have been 3+ hour long. Megatron was my favorite character in the movie.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #53
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Loved, loved, loved the movie.
I totally agree that the plot wasn't thin(some people think every Sci-Fi film ever made has a thin plot).
The nicest surprise for me I think was the acting and the humor. I thought Shia LeBeouf was excellent, the actors who played his parents were great as well and John Turturro was really special(makes me want to run out and watch The Search for One Eyed Jimmy again. DISCO BEAN BABY YEAH!!!)
And what about Peter Cullen and Bay's decision to cast him, just BRILLIANT!!! The movie would not have been the same without the Prime voice we all know and love. Loved his voice over work at the start and end as well.
Writing in some lines from the G1 series and 1986 movie was a stroke of genius as well."One shall stand, one shall fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
ILM did a great job as all ways. They will get the Oscar for visuals for sure!!!! I hope they dont get jobbed like they did in 1999 on Star Wars Ep1. These effects are just as revolutionary as Jar-Jar and Watto were then. Like Jar Jar or hate him that was a huge step in visual effects.
In fact this film could easily be a dark horse for best picture and best directer in my opinion.
The only thing I think they dropped the ball on dramaticly was the death of Jazz(Dont hate me please.....)In this film Jazz was a nothing character( he is my favorite character ever, just not in the film)
The audience really connected with Bumblebee and his death would have meant something and had an emotional impact on people. While Jazz's death may mean something to us long time fans I think most of the audience kind of shrugged and asked the person beside them: "which one was that again?"
Anyway, to repeat, I loved the film. Nuff said.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 AM   #54
ohnaji
Beasty

Just got back from seeing the movie. I'm still basking in it's awesomeness. This is a great summer movie, and in my opinion will be held as a new standard for films based on toy properties.
Watching this film on opening night brings out the more hardcore fans, and that's probably the best way to view it. There were so many moments that the audience broke out in a collective fangasm, that I couldn't help but be swept up in it myself. What surprised me the most was how charming the Autobots were. Bumblebee and Optimus in particular were the most endearing. As a team the Autobots are just fun to watch. Ratchet's a medic but he kicks ass. It's a shame Jazz got killed off, but maybe for the sequel the filmmakers could bring in Blaster as his brother or something.
The Decepticons proved to be every bit as evil as they should be unfortunately they weren't on screen as much as I would've liked. Starscream had great moments, but that was all. Megs totally worked on screen, probably the best way for his character to be translated to film. It might be my imagination, but was Hugo Weaving doing his best Leonard Nimoy impersonation? Anyway, the time Optimus and Megs were battling each other was epic.
Thanks to Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg for elevating a simple toy concept to a cinematic work of art.
ohnaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:01 AM   #55
C_Shewins
Robot Master

Just came back from the movie. The line up is crazy...I went there almost 2 hours earlier, still only in the middle of the line up. My buddies like it a lot, they said it is the best movie for the year, but too much comedy. I think it is not bad either. Now I know why Scorponok has an ugly robot mode for his figure...he has never transform in the movie at all, probably that's why Hasbro didn't do a good robot mode for him. Bumblebee is COOL and BRAVE which makes him my favourite autobot in the movie, he stands out alot in the movie. I am looking forward to watch another chapter if there is going to be one. I give the movie 9/10.
C_Shewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 AM   #56
the Stealth M.C.
Machine War

Just watched the 8 pm show at Paramount/ Scotiabank in downtown Vancouver.

I LOVED IT SO MUCH. I'm still wiping the tears of joy from my face. I must have teared up 4 or 5 times. I'm so happy. That's going to take several theatre re-watches.

I hope Jazz comes back. B-boy transformation! BRILLIANT!
the Stealth M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #57
pokoyg
Generation 1

One of the best 2hours and a half of my life! That movie was everything I've ever wanted. And what about that soundtrack? Wasn't that amazing? Especially that music they played in the introduction and sometimes during heroic moments in the film. It was very beautiful and I still have it in my head.

I agree with some that some of the transformers needed more characterization. But that's the only drawback of having a 2h30 long movie and not a 5hour long (it would've been unreal anyways). We almost knew nothing of the Decepticons except that some of them die rather quickly (Bonecrusher, bummer cuz he was too cool). I got used to see transformers blasted into pieces and not dying (Waspinator).

I really thought Starscream would've had a bigger role in this movie (the so-call tension between him and Megatron was so-so and so brief) but doesn't matter 'cuz he'll be backk wuahahah. Also, what happened to barricade? (I don't remember) It seems we didn't hear of him anymore after the highway incident. Oh and I'm really mad that Jazz got ripped apart by Megatron like a piece of cloth, I would've liked it better if they made that moment more dramatic but I guess that was appropirate since he wasn't that much of an "important character".

Oh and was Brawl actually called Devastator? Well that got me by surprise...

Anyways 10/10, best movie of the year, best action movie ever!!! (biased opinion)
pokoyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #58
ohnaji
Beasty

Robimus makes some great points regarding the actors. Shia was a standout in terms of his role, and the on screen chemistry he has with Megan Fox makes their parts even more significant. Loved Turturro and Voight, they brought some great panache to tertiary characters. What surprised me the most about the human roles was how much they complimented the story. There's so much joy in each performance, it's fun to watch.
I too loved it when Optimus and Megatron were seemingly repeating lines from the original 86 movie. I got shivers. When Megatron calls Sam a fleshling, I got with a huge wave of nostalgia. It was so good.
Bringing back Peter Cullen as Optimus was an inspired decision. The moment he was heard on screen, everyone in the audience I was part of screamed with glee, myself included.
I don't think Jazz needed to die in the way he did. He's a cool iconic character in Transformer lore. If an Autobot death was needed to show how evil Megatron is then why not someone like Gears (never liked that character). Jazz deserved better, no doubt.
If a film like Gladiator could win best picture, hey Transformers has a chance. I'm pretty sure the award for best visual effects is locked.
ohnaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:06 AM   #59
darthrage
Beast Machine

amazing!! Watching it again

9 out of 10!!!

It would be 10 out of 10 if Decepticons had more screen time but that should probably be explored more in the 2nd movie.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #60
C_Shewins
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban-samurai View Post
It would be 10 out of 10 if Decepticons had more screen time but that should probably be explored more in the 2nd movie.
Maybe Megatron is gonna be Galvatron next chapter? LOL that would be freaking awesome!!
C_Shewins is offline   Reply With Quote