Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #421
Megatron75
Alternator
Re: Dealling with People on Kijiji.... My head Explodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
You could just as easily be talking about people on the boards as sellers on kijiji.
For sure...unless you buy in bulk most people on the boards don't have the good fortune to score wholesale prices when they buy their figures and therefore want to recover a reasonable amount for them when they sell. Fortunately some of the resellers on the boards, who have access to wholesale pricing, pay it forward by offering great prices.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #422
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Jokes aside, I've had pretty good luck with finding things online recently (bought a lamp, couch, ottoman, and dining set in the last few weeks), and I think for the most part its just about ignoring adds that're asking like twice what you wanna pay. As far as selling, if something new sells for 800, be ready to sell your mint condition "used" item for less than half (or even a third if its not super unique), and that's assuming you've taken a couple of useful pictures & actually left contact info because without those two things there's not even a point. Taking similar adds into account when posting an asking price & being in the same city as what you're wanting to sell never hurts either.

Why these simple things seem to escape people is beyond me hah.

Simple. Its a psychological concept that people over value their own worth (or possessions), and undervalue others.

I saw this with my mom and an old car sue was selling. She thought an 89 ford van, that hadn't been used for a couple years was worth $4,000. Book value was $1,200 for its condition. She kept believing that she could get a lot for the vehicle. I finally got so frustrated with her, I asked her what she would pay for it if she was the buyer. She said $1000!!!!!! What??? Its like some sort of cognitive dissonance!!!!!

I see that a lot with people selling. They think that they should get, at least, what they paid for an item, and there couldn't possibly be any depreciation on their property.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #423
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Simple. Its a psychological concept that people over value their own worth (or possessions), and undervalue others.

I see that a lot with people selling. They think that they should get, at least, what they paid for an item, and there couldn't possibly be any depreciation on their property.
You have a very good point...an excellent one really. In the case of "some" Transformers, depending on a number of variables, a collector can usually expect to recover what they paid for an item (sometimes more), particularly in MISB condition. Of course this depends on the figure, supply and demand, etc. When a figures has been opened or even depending on how it has been stored in MISB condition you certainly get into things like depreciation, etc.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #424
Cronosabre
Machine War

I'm having an interesting time dealing with someone on Kijiji at the moment over 7 deluxe and 2 voyager Armada figures (They are pictured in my sales thread if you want to see them).

First I got this message:
"would you take $50 for the 9 in first picture?"

I wrote back telling her that I am asking $100 in my ad but I'm willing to meet in the "middle" at $70.

Response:
"Hi, is there any way you would accept $50 for all 9? I could come and pick up tomorrow morning. My son wants to buy them with his birthday money and out of pride doesn't want help and that's all he has."

I responded by saying that I'd be willing to sell his top 6 ones for $50. Let me know if that works as a fair compromise.

Response:
"I'll talk to him tomorrow but I don't think he will be able to pick only 6. He loves them all and was disappointed that he didn't have enough money for Unicron."

Next Message:
"I talked to him and there is another lot he can get for $30 for 11. They are smaller and he isn't understanding that these are the big ones like the two he has. Kids …. Anyway, If there is any way you would take $50 for all 9 we would be more than happy to drive out and pick up. Otherwise, I guess we would have to think about it some more."

Next Message:
"What about all 9 for $50 and a $10 Tim Hortons Gift card?"

I'm not sure what to make of all this and how to respond, I think I want to be firm on the $70, my gut tells me that her story is at least somewhat fabricated. I also don't think that I am being too unreasonable by selling all 9 at $70 or 6 for $50. If this kid she is talking about actually exists then I think that he should probably learn that if he doesn't have enough money for 9 things then he may just have to get 6 instead. This is what I have to do, I unfortunately can't afford to buy everything I like. Thoughts?
Cronosabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #425
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronosabre View Post
I'm having an interesting time dealing with someone on Kijiji at the moment over 7 deluxe and 2 voyager Armada figures (They are pictured in my sales thread if you want to see them).

First I got this message:
"would you take $50 for the 9 in first picture?"

I wrote back telling her that I am asking $100 in my ad but I'm willing to meet in the "middle" at $70.

Response:
"Hi, is there any way you would accept $50 for all 9? I could come and pick up tomorrow morning. My son wants to buy them with his birthday money and out of pride doesn't want help and that's all he has."

I responded by saying that I'd be willing to sell his top 6 ones for $50. Let me know if that works as a fair compromise.

Response:
"I'll talk to him tomorrow but I don't think he will be able to pick only 6. He loves them all and was disappointed that he didn't have enough money for Unicron."

Next Message:
"I talked to him and there is another lot he can get for $30 for 11. They are smaller and he isn't understanding that these are the big ones like the two he has. Kids …. Anyway, If there is any way you would take $50 for all 9 we would be more than happy to drive out and pick up. Otherwise, I guess we would have to think about it some more."

Next Message:
"What about all 9 for $50 and a $10 Tim Hortons Gift card?"

I'm not sure what to make of all this and how to respond, I think I want to be firm on the $70, my gut tells me that her story is at least somewhat fabricated. I also don't think that I am being too unreasonable by selling all 9 at $70 or 6 for $50. If this kid she is talking about actually exists then I think that he should probably learn that if he doesn't have enough money for 9 things then he may just have to get 6 instead. This is what I have to do, I unfortunately can't afford to buy everything I like. Thoughts?
I would be firm with the 70
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #426
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronosabre View Post
I think I would agree with you on a number of points. Anything's possible but I'd be willing the bet that the child doesn't exist at all but that they are hoping that this "story" will persuade you to drop your price. Either way, I think that you have made some very reasonable compromises. I does seem a little strange that her son has too much pride to get help from his parents to buy the TF lot but not too much pride to expect a complete stranger to help him out on the price. It just doesn't seem to add up. I also didn't realize that Tim's gift certificates were being used for barter in the open market...LOL. I'd be interested to hear how this plays out.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #427
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Screw him. Kids gotta learn that he can't always get what he wants. Life lesson for him and the sooner he learns it the better. Sounds like the parents needs to learn that too.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #428
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron75 View Post
I think I would agree with you on a number of points. Anything's possible but I'd be willing the bet that the child doesn't exist at all but that they are hoping that this "story" will persuade you to drop your price. Either way, I think that you have made some very reasonable compromises. I does seem a little strange that her son has too much pride to get help from his parents to buy the TF lot but not too much pride to expect a complete stranger to help him out on the price. It just doesn't seem to add up. I also didn't realize that Tim's gift certificates were being used for barter in the open market...LOL. I'd be interested to hear how this plays out.
Oh my god
Tell her this is not a barter sight for tims cards and if you wanted a tims card you would buy on yourself
Respond i have given you a reasonable offer
At $70
If you dont agree maybe your son could be better off with the other offer you had with another kijiji member
Or as parents cover What your son cant afford!
And stick to $70 dont let them counter offer ar What they want to pay!
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #429
Slayback
Animated

See what she looks like? *COUGH* C'mon i cant be the only one thinking this?!

anyway i would say no, sorry - move on. people cant be spoon fed happiness and sunshine all the time.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #430
steamwhistle
Crossover

Your counter-offers were more-than-fair.

There are some things I don't believe about the story.

Because of pride, her son doesn't want help... Then she says "I could come and pick up..." Shouldn't she have said "We" since her son wants to make the purchase with his birthday money? Rightfully, the kid should also be showing up to make the purchase.

Couldn't she just give him more birthday money? Or, maybe give him a simple chore to earn the extra $20 required?

"He loves them all..." How old is the kid? Any kid would be able to choose 6.

The simplest thing for parents and a child is to go to a store to spend the birthday money. The child would build more pride spending money at a proper retail store rather than kijiji.

It sounds to me that even if you were to agree to something, she would show up and demand another price cut... Maybe because her son wanted to give her $10 for gas for driving out.

Really sounds sketchy to me...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote