Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Thinking of selling my collection

I've been finding recently that I'm becoming less interested in TF toys. Upcoming figures that I was excited for months ago make me go "meh" when I finally get them today. And a lot of the new figure reveals, including 3rd party, fail to impress me.

This, combined with the fact that school is costing me way more than I expected and summer employment being much harder to find than I thought, being at the end of my financial rope, leads me to only one option: selling my collection.

Although, hopefully, not ALL of my collection. I'm planning on keeping my BW and most of my Classics collection. I'm planning on selling off most of if not all of my movie trilogy, Unicron Trilogy, Alternators/Alternity, Animated, Prime, G1, and crossover lines. The only really difficult figures I'm considering parting with are my BotCon and 3rd party figures.

I have been going to BotCon ever since 2007. And I have a complete collection of Shattered Glass figures including customizing class figures. Which I'm sure should fetch a great deal, if I ever wanted to try and reacquire them later in life, it would be extremely expensive, or near impossible in the custom class figures cases. Just because I don't care for them right now doesn't mean that'll stay the same later on.

Same kind of thing goes for 3rd party figures. I have a few figures that are worth a few bucks, but the same double-edge sword applies to them as well. They're worth a lot, but I ever regret it later, it'll be even harder getting them back.

But what I decide to eventually sell isn't as big a problem as actually selling them. Yeah, TFCON is fast approaching next month and would provide the idea opportunity to sell, but imagining how much I have to sell, I think I'd need like 3 table at least to sell everything. And tables aren't cheap.

:sigh: The more I dwell on it, the less enthused I am about the whole thing and the more I want to seek an alternative solution.

One thing I was considering was creating some art to sell at TFCON instead. But I don't know if people would buy art from an amateur rather than a professional. From what I've seen at TFCONs in the past, it didn't work out too well.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
herooftheday316
Energon
Re: Thinking of selling my collection

You could always make a sale thread for the stuff you REALLY don't care for any more. With TFCon approaching you could make deals to meet people at the Con to sell to them without needing to purchase a table.

I would start slow though, don't get rid of the stuff you could never replace unless you are 100% sure

-Mike
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
One thing I was considering was creating some art to sell at TFCON instead. But I don't know if people would buy art from an amateur rather than a professional. From what I've seen at TFCONs in the past, it didn't work out too well.
People do it all the time at TFcon. Hell Anime North's art area.... I don't think ONE PERSON out of the 50+ artists there comes from a professional background
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
chroma23
douchebag

whats considered "professional" anyways?

BST on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47234
FEEDBACK on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=16129
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma23 View Post
whats considered "professional" anyways?
Getting payed by a company to do art.

It's what separates you making a burger in your backyard on the BBQ compared to that guy at Burger King.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
elburrito
Animated

Quote:
I've been finding recently that I'm becoming less interested in TF toys. Upcoming figures that I was excited for months ago make me go "meh" when I finally get them today. And a lot of the new figure reveals, including 3rd party, fail to impress me.

This, combined with the fact that school is costing me way more than I expected and summer employment being much harder to find than I thought, being at the end of my financial rope, leads me to only one option: selling my collection.

Although, hopefully, not ALL of my collection. I'm planning on keeping my BW and most of my Classics collection. I'm planning on selling off most of if not all of my movie trilogy, Unicron Trilogy, Alternators/Alternity, Animated, Prime, G1, and crossover lines. The only really difficult figures I'm considering parting with are my BotCon and 3rd party figures.

I have been going to BotCon ever since 2007. And I have a complete collection of Shattered Glass figures including customizing class figures. Which I'm sure should fetch a great deal, if I ever wanted to try and reacquire them later in life, it would be extremely expensive, or near impossible in the custom class figures cases. Just because I don't care for them right now doesn't mean that'll stay the same later on.

Same kind of thing goes for 3rd party figures. I have a few figures that are worth a few bucks, but the same double-edge sword applies to them as well. They're worth a lot, but I ever regret it later, it'll be even harder getting them back.

But what I decide to eventually sell isn't as big a problem as actually selling them. Yeah, TFCON is fast approaching next month and would provide the idea opportunity to sell, but imagining how much I have to sell, I think I'd need like 3 table at least to sell everything. And tables aren't cheap.

:sigh: The more I dwell on it, the less enthused I am about the whole thing and the more I want to seek an alternative solution.

Just a suggestion...someday, you will finish school, get a job and have money again. Likely, it will be then that you begin to miss your bots. If you are going to sell, consider selling only those that you could replace in 5 years or at least keep your past favs from the various lines.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Quote:

To fix that, you need to sniff your TFs deeper. The stuff they add to the plastic is what's making us addicted.

Is TFs the only thing you collect? Sell the non-TF stuff first.
Also, take multiple part time jobs, instead of 1 good full time. It'll help a little.

Don't have a table, make a few deals prior and bring them to TFCon, and make the exchange as soon as possible. Cut back on misc spending, splurging, going out in your personal life. Bring some drinks and some food from home. I'm sure there'll be plenty of sales between now and TFCon from your local grocery stores.

Selling art would be fine, but don't bank on making a big pile of money. You'll make some, which will help from having to sell good pieces of your collection.

Summary, if you know you'll have regrets, plan around them now.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Hellboy
Alternator

Been there, done that.

You sound like you've reached the point (age) in your life where priorities have shifted to more sensible gains and the lustre of collecting has begun to fade.

I went through that phase when I went off to school. Sold it all. Didn't miss it for 20 years. Now I wish I had just held on to it.

If you really need the money sell it. If you are selling it just because, at the moment, you no longer care I'd say hold on. You loved it enough to invest all the time and money that you did and one day you will find that passion again. Thin the herd if you must but I have a feeling you will regret parting with at least some of it down the line.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Janitor
Classic

Definitely keep those that mean the most to you, easier said than done I know.

For myself, I'm pretty sure I won't be a part of this hobby forever (who knows, maybe I will til the day I die). But hey, LIFE HAPPENS. If need be in the future, I'm ready to sell pretty much everything. I'd keep my MP-10 (gift from my fiancee, plus it's the ultimate OP) but all my G1s, classics, MPs, whatever...the collection I've put so much time, money, effort into over years? Ready to let all of them go if something more important arises.

Doesn't mean I don't love TFs. I collect out of enjoyment, but at the end of the day it's still just a hobby.
Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

i'm actually getting that way about my classics collection, i barely look at it anymore. and i know i could get a decent buck for it, not as nice as botcon sets, but decent lol.

i've sold twice before, both times were filled with regrets

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote