Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 05-24-2017, 01:04 AM   #331
WereDragon EX
Robot Master
Re: Repair Thread

So some of my friends have noticed that cracks are appearing on their CW and UW Afterburners on the windshield/canopy part of the motorcycle. Specifically, the cracks appear at the bottom of the clear portion of the windshield (roughly where the Autobot logo is on the UW version of the figure) near where the windshield is pinned to the figure with the hinge.

I'm assuming it may have something to do with the fact that the top of the windshield is meant to peg into the figure itself for motorcycle mode, and I think doing so (and also unpegging the windshield from the figure for transformation) might put stress on the plastic where the hinge is.

The HFG for the UW figure is also supposed to store on motorcycle mode by pegging into a hole on the top of the windshield, as the instructions say, and I suspect doing that might also lead to the windshield cracking, especially when you put in and take out the HFG.

So what I'm wondering is whether or not anyone else has experienced the same issue and whether it can be fixed. If not, does anyone know what to do to prevent it occurring in the first place? Admittedly, the issue has made me nervous for my own figures in that regard. I suppose using clear plastic for that part may not have been the best design choice, since clear plastic seems to have that reputation for not being able to take stress as well as other types of plastic without cracking.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:29 AM   #332
Char
Generation 1

Hi Folks,

I picked up a Titans Return Fort Max from eBay –*but the joint that holds the right leg appears to be completely broken (see pic).

Any recommendations for fixing this or is it a lost cause? Trying to decide if I should just send it back to the seller for a refund or if it’s worth fixing.

Got it for less than retail, so at the time it seemed like a good deal…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-1.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	36932   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	36933  

Last edited by Char; 06-28-2017 at 12:34 AM. Reason: image links not working.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #333
grizzly519
Alternator

I recently picked up a G1 Shockwave body at TFCon and noticed that the plastic cylinders for the screws in upper body at the arms are broken.Since the arms have springs it is constantly pushing away from that cylinder.This figure has working electronics and is just something for me to occasionally fiddle with as bought a pristine complete one the year before.Any ideas on how to repair are appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #334
cr3d1t
Beast Machine

I got TR Overlord yesterday and I just busted the handle on the tank cannon. So proud of myself. I had transformed the tank and inserted the cannon handle into its port. When it came to transform it back to Overlord's legs the cannon just couldn't get out. I guess the paint tolerances were too tight. I had no idea the handle was keyed (there are grooves on each side of the handle) so when I tried pulling and twisting the gun out, the handle snapped.

Since the handle is hollow I think if I could find a thin 3/4" screw that might work. I guess I'll be going to Canadian Tire tomorrow and hope they have tiny screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4819.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	38660  

Last edited by cr3d1t; 01-15-2018 at 04:17 PM.
cr3d1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #335
cr3d1t
Beast Machine

Went to CT and another hardware store. They don't have screws that small. Gonna have to try something else.
cr3d1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #336
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

How about very small gauge of metal rod? They often have this at hobby stories, maybe even Home Depot/Lowes. I have some that is a little more than 1mm thick, use it all the time to reinforce breakages...I drill out one side, glue in the pin, then mark the other side, drill, glue both halves and voila, solid fix!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #337
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous
G1 Hun-Gurrr Help!

I snapped a G1 Rippersnapper's head while it was attached to Hun-Gurrr as an arm limb. Unfortunately the head is lodged in the socket port. If in Abominus mode: left arm port hole.

How do I take that lodged piece out from the socket port? I would like to know the wizardry behind this because I can't figure it out.

Also... does anyone have an extra G1 Rippersnapper head?

Thanks in advance,
Sp3x
Retrospex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #338
justprime
Animated

Hobby shop for radio control stuff will have small screws ......le pages plastic weld two part glue or your automotive supply like napa will have a plastic weld type glue for bumper etc repairs.. vary strong and has worked for me in past ...as for ripper snappers peg a small drill or screw partially screwed in should allow you to pull the broken piece out..
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #339
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
...as for ripper snappers peg a small drill or screw partially screwed in should allow you to pull the broken piece out..
Thank you justprime it worked like a charm!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #340
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr3d1t View Post
I got TR Overlord yesterday and I just busted the handle on the tank cannon. So proud of myself. I had transformed the tank and inserted the cannon handle into its port. When it came to transform it back to Overlord's legs the cannon just couldn't get out. I guess the paint tolerances were too tight. I had no idea the handle was keyed (there are grooves on each side of the handle) so when I tried pulling and twisting the gun out, the handle snapped.

Since the handle is hollow I think if I could find a thin 3/4" screw that might work. I guess I'll be going to Canadian Tire tomorrow and hope they have tiny screws.
What I would suggest is some rigid copper wire, you can find these at either hobby shops or hardware stores, use modeling cement that melts plastic.

something like this: https://hlj.com/product/LORLT0067
https://www.amazon.ca/Tamiya-87038-E.../dp/B000BMYWYC

Cut the wire to length, insert, and use the modeling cement to bond the plastic. If you use just enough, you might not even see any seams and no sanding is require. Modeling cement melts plastic just enough to create a super tight bond.

I don't really recommend screws unless you're willing to dremel the head off. Most of the time, you can use a pin vice to tap the holes for the copper wire: https://hlj.com/product/MNEL-5C

Last edited by Digibasherx; 02-08-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Digibasherx is offline   Reply With Quote