Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #51
Sokar
Armada
Re: Transformers RoTF Supreme Class Devastator Out Now at Canadian Retail

I still don't get all the hate for this figure. Considering the other supreme class figures that have been released, I think this one is actually not bad. I haven't had any reall opportunity to mess around with this figure, but considering the other supreme figures we've gotten in the past, the price doesn't seem outrageous (at least not 99.92). It's not necessarily as good as primus or unicron, but it's still pretty decent.

For a few of the complaints:

It doesn't have individual robot modes
- I still am of the mind that devestator was a unique combiner decepticon, and the fact that there we did not actually see them transform in the film suggests that the individual parts weren't seperate robots, but were part of a networked intellegence that was devestator. More realistically for the toy however, this was a good compromise I think. Making the individual constructicons have to combine would probably have ended up creating some really poor toys for both the individual and combined modes. Particularly for mixmaster who forms the head, trying to stuff a robot mode, vehicle mode, and rather unique head into that cement truck would have not likley turned out very well. At the same time you'd probably end up with lots of scalling issues. One way to look at it if you can manage to look past the individual robots issue is to consider it to be like omega supreme, only with more individual vehicles. With omega you got a couple different linking vehicles in the energon one, but here you are getting six different vehicles.

The paint (or lack of) sucks
- What of this is any different than most of the recent movie figures? Leader megatron has what 3 paint apps and 2 colors of plastic? the fallen is green/red with orange wash? Yes, it's a more expensive figure, but supremes/ultimates haven't exactly had that much paint lately either. Look at the swtf vader death star that retailed at 80$. It's got a bit of white paint on the death star shell and some silver lining on the robot mode. Plus, it's maybe half the size of devastator. Even with liscencing fees being a part of it, I don't remember hearing quite the ranting I am about vader as I am now. Even ultimate bumblebee pales in comparison to the deluxe version for paint apps. It's sort of part and parcel with these larger figures and with hasbro lately when it comes to paint apps. Dev's is nothing horribly new, and to be honest I think they spent much more time putting molded details into it, so for me I would prefere that.

It doesn't look like the movie devastator
- To me, this one looks more like the film devastator. I think some could argue for either way since this one has different looking shoulders, but I think the proportions and the face are better on the supreme class one. To me the legends ez devastator just looks sort of annorexic

It's so expensive
- I think transformers in general have spiked a bit over the past year or so and hasbro is going to squeeze every penny they can out of their products. Look at the human alliance sub-line. They're great looking figures and all, but they cost 50$ a peice. Alternators were only 30$ and I'm sure there were all sorts of liscencing fees that they had to deal with for that line. Granted these ones come with a human figure and the skids/mudflap sets will come with an extra robot, but 50$ is still pretty pricy. Is it a high price? yes. It really is. But at the same time you're also getting a fair bit for the price both size/weight wise and scultping/engineering wise.

Articulation is crap
- I can't argue with this one since I haven't been able to play with it yet, but from what I've seen it's no worse than ultimate bb. I'll be able to comment only after actually playing with it some though

Other good points
- The only real 'gimmick' is that the mouth opens and it talks/lights up. That's it. Unlike ultimate bb there's no freaking huge backpack for electronics and motors to move the arms and make it talk. Similarly, what articulation there is isn't messed up by the gimmick (ie like bb's arm cannon)

And for anyone who thinks I'm just rationalizing, I'm not. If I were, I probably wouldn't have gotten 2 of them.

Also, I do respect other's criticisms of this toy, and it's always your money to do with as you please, but the worst transformer? really?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #52
Uni-En
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'm glad I got this awesome Devastator instead of $100+ worth of shitty Robot Heroes/Robot Replicas/3'' Titanium/Mighty Mugs/Minicons/underpainted Classics/Universe/etc.

lmao this toy is not awesome man, sorry dude. Its unpainted, looks like crapola on a stick and is basically a megazord... Stop convincing yourself you like it.
Uni-En is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #53
Autobot_Orion
Beasty

Quote:
It still makes it better than all the figures I mentionned in my post.
can you care to elaborate why it is better than all the figures?, I'm sure collectors are debating on whether are not to get the supreme version.

Last edited by Autobot_Orion; 07-30-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Autobot_Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #54
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorwing View Post
Can't wait to get him on SALE. :P.
I will wait until on clearance

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #55
Autobot_Orion
Beasty

great review of Devy Sokar. I agree with the vehicles not transforming into individuals, it did not happen in the movie so it makes the figure movie accurate.
Devastator never really talked in the movie so thats funny he does in the toy. What does the toy say?

Last edited by Autobot_Orion; 07-30-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #56
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Like I said, might pick him up on clearance in a couple years.

Worst Transformer ever? I am not sure about that. I think the Action Masters might still hold that title.

And what's with the mini-con hate? Whats wrong with mini-cons?
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #57
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
Like I said, might pick him up on clearance in a couple years.

Worst Transformer ever? I am not sure about that. I think the Action Masters might still hold that title.

And what's with the mini-con hate? Whats wrong with mini-cons?
DEFINITELY WAITING TILL CLEARANCE TIME...FULLY EXPECT WEST SIDE WALMARTS TO END UP WITH PALETTE LOADS OF THESE THINGS THIS FALL...JC
faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #58
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot_Orion View Post
can you care to elaborate why it is better than all the figures?, I'm sure collectors are debating on whether are not to get the supreme version.
Robot Heroes: don't transform, deformed, almost non-existing articulation
Robot Replicas: rubbery, don't transform, are not even that movie accurate
Revoltech: deformed, don't transform
Mighty Mugs: deformed, don't transform, almost non-existing articulation
Minicons: unrecognizable characters that I don't care for (unlike Legends)

Combiner Devastator: transforms/combines, is massive, has decent articulation, a fun Legends-eating gimmick, sounds and voice clips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-En View Post
lmao this toy is not awesome man, sorry dude. Its unpainted, looks like crapola on a stick and is basically a megazord... Stop convincing yourself you like it.
Sorry dude, but I know if I like a toy that I have purchased and played with regularly more than you who have never seen or much less been close to one. Who exactly are you to tell me what I like and what I don't?

And what's the Megazords snobbery? They're extremely popular toys all over the world. Have you ever owned some? They might not share the same philosophy as Transformers, but they're still pretty cool toys, much like Brave toys who don't always have individual robot modes. I like diversity, and I don't mind if Devastator borrows a bit from other lines, whether it was intentional or not. If you had a look at my collection, you would realize it's not all about Transformers.

As for the lack of paint, it's only ONE aspect of the toy. Paint is only a deal-breaker when another version with more paint apps is to be released later down the road (Henkei vs Classics/Universe). Otherwise, I don't care. I don't play with paint, I play with toys.

Last edited by Pascal; 07-30-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #59
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by malteselegacy View Post
EVeyrone is talking about getting him on sale...He may not go on sale, I mean look at Unicron...still sitting on shelves and I do not believe has ever gone on sale?
Yeah.. Unicron was on sale for 40% off along with all transformers at TRU right before the movie came out. I picked him up for $43 which I think is a good price. Not exactly the cheapest, but I won't complain too much if he goes even lower.

Now on topic. Devastator is IMHO not a $100 figure. For that price he holds no interest from me. Now for say $30, he starts to look a lot better. Each ten dollars dropped is like taking a shot of whiskey, and it gets to the point where you look through the beer-goggles and say, "man that devastator is hot. I'd get that in a second."

From the photos/videos, I really can't see where the money has gone into the figure that justifies the price tag. The figure looks like they could sell it for $50 and still turn a huge profit because they obviously skimped out on a lot of things. Now if there were bot modes, I would say $100 would probably be right.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #60
Autobot_Orion
Beasty

Quote:

Combiner Devastator: transforms/combines, is massive, has decent articulation, a fun Legends-eating gimmick, sounds and voice clips
Thats cool he eats the legends figures.I also prefer figures that transform. I never bought the one's you've mentioned but I've noticed people do like Robot hereos even though they dont transform so as long as people buy them they will sell them, they are popular toys.

Tags
devastator, rotf, sighting, supreme class