Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron
Re: buying toys you never really wanted because cool upgrade kits are coming out for

Guilty as charged...Classics Hardhead, ROTF Superion and Bruticus, Nemesis Prime and the FP upgrade trailer and a extra Hotrod for his upgrade!
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #32
CBII
Animated
Re: buying toys you never really wanted because cool upgrade kits are coming out for

Never until today.

I bought the renderform RTS bee upgrade yet I don't have RTS Bee yet...
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #33
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
ROTF combiners.
This

in the case of bruticus, I got mine some time after the Superion set cause I knew it wouldn't have been long till Fansproject made that set better.

Animated Voyager Prime too. never got him, but the moment I saw there was a Power Master upgrade coming, I had to get him.

Last edited by Dragon Knight; 09-28-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Dragon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #34
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBII View Post
Never until today.

I bought the renderform RTS bee upgrade yet I don't have RTS Bee yet...
This is what got me to make this thread... I bought united bee to make goldbug proper with the renderform kit. It's definitely not the first time I've done something like this, and it wont be the last...

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #35
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtime View Post
This is what got me to make this thread... I bought united bee to make goldbug proper with the renderform kit. It's definitely not the first time I've done something like this, and it wont be the last...
i'm heavily debating on getting united bee as well, just so he's gold, i could paint rts bee though

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #36
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I want what FP has to offer, but my budget won't allow me to afford it. That being said however, I have never bought a figure I 'Didn't' want just for the sake of these upgrades.

I have also never bought a figure I 'Did' want just for these upgrades.

Upgrades are expensive, and just because they enhance a figure or make it look nice it doesn't mean I 'NEED' it to have a complete official collection for my Classicsverse shelf.

In point of fact, because of all this price increase bullcrap on the secondary market it will be even harder to get figures I want for my collection. (G2 Prime, Universe Onslaught, Hardhead, Etc...)

I'm all for great 3rd party products made to show just how much fans care about this franchise, they do some pretty impressive work, but quite frankly I don't like the fact that they drive secondary market prices on certain key figures to triple what they'd be worth just because of some limited run 3rd part item.

It is stupid, frustrating, insufferably annoying and quite frankly just fuels the entire scalper/hoarder for price increase mentality.

I didn't buy Classics Rodimus so I could turn around and sell him for triple the price later on. I didn't buy Classics Magnus for the same reason either. I bought them to enjoy a brand of toys that has a special place in my heart.

At the same time I can't really fault the 3rd party product makers, as I'm still optimistically thinking they love this franchise as much as me and aren't just in it for the money. (Even if they probably more than likely are.)

Anyway, I guess that answers the question. I want these toys because I genuinely like them, I don't even have plans to get these extra head sets for Hardhead or Onslaught or heck even Darkwind, unless I could get the figure with the head set for a good price simply because I want the figure for my collection and could take or leave the alternate head thing.

G1 was a toyline where we as children said, great, more characters to buy. We didn't care if it was just a plain ordinary repaint of the mold we already had three times over. (G1 Seekers, possibly some Micromasters.) It's been a factor of Transformers toys since the inception, since before Transformers even with Diaclone. I don't need a remold or extra 3rd party add on kit to enjoy a good repaint of a figure. It can help, but sometimes it just looks horrible due to a faulty execution or more often than not an engineering stand point. I mean Drift and Blurr aren't nearly different enough, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying Blurr just because he looks fairly close to Drift.

If I could get the Bruticus Upgrade or the Causality Stuff or Protector great, but I'm not going to go out of my way to pay for 2 Onslaughts just so I can make one of them Butcher when I don't even have 1 yet for my collection to be Onslaught. And I don't even know if I'd like the head upgrades.

Anyway, I'm getting ranty and long winded, so I'll end it here.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #37
Omegatron
Gen 1

I've never bought a toy I didn't want because of the upgrade but have considered buying a second one so that I could have the upgraded and non-upgraded toys on the shelf, Classics rodimus would be an example (so I could have both Rodimus prime and Hotrod). I've also bought upgrades because I already had the toy (looking at you City Commander).

I also wonder if this might be why Hasbro hasn't gone aggressively after third party manufacturers. They may have crunched the numbers and realized that upgrades actually increase sales. Also figures like Knight morpher Commander, Hasbro was never going to make anyway so if that toy kept just one fan in the fandom who otherwise would have lost interest that's a net gain for Hasbro too. Has anybody not bought the Hasbro or Takara version of a toy because they wanted the third party toy more? The only weird one is I-gear, they must be partly owned by a high ranking member of the Chinese government or something.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #38
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Opposite here. I own all the "upgradeable" toys but as of today I own no upgrade kits. That said, I did finally cave on FP Munitioner/Explorer and have them en route to upgrade my E. Bruticus that I've had for a couple years now.
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #39
Nijukyu
Target-master
Nijukyu's Ebay Auctions

Walked past ROTF Bruticus many times in store, because I couldn't justify spending the money on him as he was at the time...

The moment I watched Vagelus' review of the crossfire set I loved the new add-ons, and I tried to resist but failed horribly. Wish I could reach back in time and play the devil on the shoulder and say pull the trigger to myself, you won't regret it.

Still got the set with upgrades for a decent price including shipping, but could have saved a bit extra money for more figures =)
Nijukyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #40
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Classics Ultra Magnus and ROTF Bruticus. Never would of bought them if it wasn't for FP. I already had a Classics Rodimus, the FP kit was just a bonus. I would love to go back and get more stuff I don't want because of the 3rd party stuff, but I can't justify the money right now.