Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #21
zackmak
Robot Master
Re: TFCon 2018 *Unofficial* Feedback Thread

One thing I forgot to add as a negative... and it’s actually been a negative for a few years from what I can remember.

They do the announcement of who won the art contests (by name and title) while we’re all sitting there in the panel room, yet they don’t show the actual art pieces that won on the big screens to the audience. It’s such an easy thing to do to take the pics and show them on the screen as they announce each winner. I can bet almost all of us sitting in that room can’t visualize the art that won because we either never saw it in the hallway, or can’t remember the art, or can’t remember the title of the artwork of each piece (that’s assuming we pay attention to the title when looking at the art).

The sceen shots will engage and interest the audience, and the winners will deservedly get some limelight.

I don’t know how they announce the costume winners, but if it would be just as good to use the screens.

On a positive side, it’s great that you have these contests for the fans!!! Keep it up.

Last edited by zackmak; 07-19-2018 at 07:07 PM.
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #22
herooftheday316
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayback View Post
As a seller

First - not sure what you mean herooftheday316. Maybe you could clarify? -
I don't want to be specific in this case but there are at least 2 dealers who have had the same stock for at least 3 years. No haggling, not super friendly etc etc.

Some tables at the dealer room just feel a little stale because things that are not really in demand seem to be priced very poorly so their tables just end up being "dead space" for some of us who have been there a few years in a row.

Your table is always fun and you guys make it easy to shop. Your stock is never the same year over year. Your bins are some of my favorite stuff to shop at the con.

-Mike
Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
Slayback
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by herooftheday316 View Post
I don't want to be specific in this case but there are at least 2 dealers who have had the same stock for at least 3 years. No haggling, not super friendly etc etc.

Some tables at the dealer room just feel a little stale because things that are not really in demand seem to be priced very poorly so their tables just end up being "dead space" for some of us who have been there a few years in a row.

Your table is always fun and you guys make it easy to shop. Your stock is never the same year over year. Your bins are some of my favorite stuff to shop at the con.

-Mike
Woot! thanks for clarifying. i have noticed that a lot of dealers do have poor body behaviours if things aren't going their way. they look very standoff-ish, which likely makes things even worse. no one wants to deal with that or them. hopefully some of them pick up on this thread.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #24
teruo313
Beasty

Dealer wise, there did seem to be less than before, mainly in the alley way. That was a bit of a disappointment because you can usually find some random figures there at really great prices from collectors just looking to offload parts of their collections.

The whole Sunday thing was confusing to say the least. I understand if they want to have Tfcon as a whole weekend event, but there really wasn't enough substance there to warrant it. As other dealers already mentioned, Sunday was a bit of a surprise to them as well.

I understand wanting to have TFcon as an all weekend event, but I really question if there's enough substance to warrant it. Panels etc are great, but I'd argue that a number of people really just are coming for the dealer room. They buy their figures on Saturday, maybe check out a panel or 2 and then leave. If the dealer room is pretty much the same 2 days in a row, then what incentive does someone have to go a second day. In years past, with Sunday being action figure oriented, dealers were able to change up stock to account for the different demographic, so atleast if you were going for 2 days, there were new things to see.

Last edited by teruo313; 07-21-2018 at 11:32 AM.
teruo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #25
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

I've got a report on the show up on my website now, You can check it out here: SykoGrafix.com

The guests this year were great. Chalk and Kaye are always fantastic, and having the two of them making a rare appearance together was especially cool and made for a unique moment. Rayle and Mendenhal were especially fantastic, and having David Wise was amazing. Any time we are lucky enough to have a guest that hasn't done a convention in Canada, hasn't done a Transformers convention, or has never been to a convention before, that's pretty awesome. I appreciated the lengths that were taken this year to bring us interesting guests. It was really cool seeing David Mendenhal reliving a piece of his childhood in front of us during his panel. I made sure to tell him that what he shared with us was really special.

There was a person during the Chalk/Kaye panel who asked something about having regrets about working on Energon because it didn't make sense to him or something like that. What an offensive question. That rubbed me the wrong way. What did this guy honestly think they were going to say? Newsflash, buddy: None of Transformers makes any sense when you look at it out of context. Let's try to be more polite from now on and not backhandedly insult something that the guests worked on and may be enjoyed perfectly fine by other people in the audience.

I missed a lot of the show because I was working on my panel, but I did as much as I could. The other panels I saw were great. I especially liked Aaron Archer's presentation, and I would love to see more people on the creative side invited to the show.

Unfortunately I had to skip Faction Feud but it sounded like it was fun from what I heard afterwards. I sure as hell wasn't going to miss the Slurpee Run though.

As far as the dealer room goes, the main complaint from last year was confusion over US and Canadian pricing. Thankfully I didn't see any of that this time, but maybe I was lucky. I was not fussed about the lack of a refresh on Sunday. I didn't even think about it until I read about it here after the fact. Most conventions just have the same dealer room and that's the way it is for the entirety of the show. Obviously it would be great to have more variety in terms of selection and number of vendors. But the show lives in Canada. Who is here and who is willing to come here? Whatever that answer is, that's the best we can realistically hope for.

If people are disappointed in the dealer room, and that's all they care about, then sorry but you are totally doing TFcon wrong. There is so much more to this show than just buying toys or seeing whatever off-brand reveals you're going to be spending your money on later. Go and experience everything the show has to offer. Have fun. And if that's still not enough and there are things you wish the show had, then be the change. Volunteer your time and make it happen. That's what I do, and I already love TFcon, so what's your excuse?

Sayonara.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:13 PM   #26
teruo313
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatron View Post

As far as the dealer room goes, the main complaint from last year was confusion over US and Canadian pricing. Thankfully I didn't see any of that this time, but maybe I was lucky. I was not fussed about the lack of a refresh on Sunday. I didn't even think about it until
If people are disappointed in the dealer room, and that's all they care about, then sorry but you are totally doing TFcon wrong. There is so much more to this show than just buying toys or seeing whatever off-brand reveals you're going to be spending your money on later. Go and experience everything the show has to offer. Have fun. And if that's still not enough and there are things you wish the show had, then be the change. Volunteer your time and make it happen. That's what I do, and I already love TFcon, so what's your excuse?

Sayonara.
Umm, but that's the thing, you say be the change, yet the way Sunday was done compared to previous years was a change. Sunday has always been considered Action Figure Expo (or some other name, it escapes me now). Even for dealer registration it was always Saturday you needed atleast 50% Transformers at your table, and Sunday there was no minimal requirement which meant you could have a table with no Transformers at all if you wanted. Hence the lack of a refresh on a lot of tables this year.

In the past, this resulted in different people coming to the convention on the second day. As well as a refresh with the 1 day dealers, who only sell Transformers or action figures. And speaking as someone who's been a dealer or helped out at another dealer's table over the last 6 years, traffic did seem a bit slower.

Panels are great and if that's your thing terrific, I'm glad that you had a great time. But it's not for everyone, some just like to buy toys and hang out with friends.

Last edited by teruo313; 07-22-2018 at 11:19 PM.
teruo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #27
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayback View Post
4. Still sunday... when i turned around to look through my shelves.. all i saw were big swathes of nothing. There wasn't anyone wandering the aisles. I think that in itself is an indication that a 2day- con isn't strong enough - unless you give it some serious support. More panels, or transformers karaoke or transformer colouring contests .. something. As a seller i'm there to work, meet customers, pay my staff, and move product. Hard to do if people don't want to come in for another TF day. Not saying it can't happen - just saying, perhaps we need to add some robustness to the event planning on the sunday if it is going to be a 2 day TF day.
Just a random suggestion, not a jab, but maybe one way to help get the Sunday show to establish a TF theme would be to offer up an exclusive only available on the Sunday, it might help folks to stay the extra day?

And/or have a special guest for Sunday appearance only, maybe Virgil cosplaying Megatron may attract attention
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca

Last edited by CobraCommander; 07-23-2018 at 11:24 AM.
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #28
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

One other idea is to offer a discounted rate on the sunday regular admission ticket if you attended on Saturday. I know there is a weekend pass but not everyone cares about the early admission.

Didn't the Sunday regular admissions go from $10 last year to $20 this year?
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #29
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
Just a random suggestion, not a jab, but maybe one way to help get the Sunday show to establish a TF theme would be to offer up an exclusive only available on the Sunday, it might help folks to stay the extra day?

And/or have a special guest for Sunday appearance only, maybe Virgil cosplaying Megatron may attract attention
Really cool suggestion
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #30
Slayback
Animated

i dunno if Virgil cosplays...
On the other hand Virgil did make it the show unlike some peeps.. @CobraCommander. He made it out..

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote