Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #10051
Corvicron
Beasty
Re: BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat

I was there at 1130ish, and came away with some cool stuff. I think you have to be open to haggling with the vendors. I didn't get much, but I was happy with what I got and the price I paid.
Corvicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #10052
CKWG
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
This was my haul from last Saturday:

Got MP-29 and Flamefeather from Metrotitan. Got Overdrive and Sandstorm from a couple familiar faces who I suspect are members of these boards too.

Also found Transformers #59, which means I only need 3 more issues to complete my G1 Marvel comic run. I bought a 4-pack of the Marvel Headmasters mini-series at Emerald City Comicon 2 years ago, but when I opened it at home, they had put in issue #4 of the GIJoe/Transformers crossover. Glad to finally get that set completed too.
That's a very nice haul Blitzwing!

Come back again on Apr.22 and you will have an even better haul with me, RocketGTR, Kirbenvost, another Transformers seller from Langley plus possibly more booking tables, and most of the action figure sellers rebooking, this show will have the most Transformers items for sale in its history.

Not to mention special guest Marcelo will probably have some of his prints for sale.
CKWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #10053
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

HERE IT COMES YOU GUYS. I just got my HLJ payment request for MP Megatron! I'm so eager to get my hands on this figure!
Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #10054
Metallica_Unforgiven
Generation 1

I think given the quality of the show prior to last Saturday, things have come a long way. Those who have gone in prior years and compared it to Saturday will likely agree selection was broader and i did take note that a lot of people stayed for a long time. There was a lot of cross-discussion with people showing off their hauls.

Anyway, yes, many of us plan to push forward with the plan to load up the Scottish Centre with vintage and new toys. Should be a fun day in April and an enjoyable time in the Fall shows!
Old 03-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #10055
X Nightmare
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
Went to the Scottish cultural centre...seemed like I could have saved some gas and 3$ entry by just buying on cl or eBay.

Prices were high and selection was kind of weak...lots of the same stuff.

I had 500 bucks to spend and dropped 40. I expected better value, thinking dealers would want to move inventory rather than sell at the same price they list on cl for.

I didn't go till 2 or so...maybe everything worth buying at a decent price was already gone by then but it was a serious waste of my time attending.

Won't repeat and wouldn't recommend to anyone making the trip from outside of vancouver.

I went in after 1pm and found a ton of great deals. One seller had brand new TFs priced at retail or less, which I see go for a lot now in aftermarket. I bought a ROTF Bludgeon from him for $20 MISB, which goes for over double usually. Vintage toys are always higher. Maybe you're use to getting to pay lowball offers on Craigslist? As prices at this show were on the same level as Vancouver Comic Show and Retro N Relevant.
X Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #10056
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGTR View Post
You could buy off ebay or CL but at least you get to inspect the item in hand before you make the decision. Plus no risk of damage in transit.

You can inspect before buying through cl and I've never received items damaged in shipping through anyone but tru.

Frankly, if things would have been even 10% lower than standard Craigslist prices, I would have spent more but I walked the room 3 times just trying to find something to buy that made it feel like it was worth the trip.

I wound up getting a 3p set for 40 bucks so that my gf wasn't like "why did we drive all the way out here"...

But I left unhappy to be sure.

Maybe was just a little overhyped for my liking...

If you're hadn't driven 40 mins to get there and another 40 home I may have been able to temper my expectations better.

But as it was...total waste of time. Paying my 3 dollar admission felt like paying the 3$ in store pick up fee at a3u.

Next time, I'll just take my cash and head there.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #10057
venksta
Render Project Creations

Quote:
You can inspect before buying through cl and I've never received items damaged in shipping through anyone but tru.

Frankly, if things would have been even 10% lower than standard Craigslist prices, I would have spent more but I walked the room 3 times just trying to find something to buy that made it feel like it was worth the trip.

I wound up getting a 3p set for 40 bucks so that my gf wasn't like "why did we drive all the way out here"...

But I left unhappy to be sure.

Maybe was just a little overhyped for my liking...

If you're hadn't driven 40 mins to get there and another 40 home I may have been able to temper my expectations better.

But as it was...total waste of time. Paying my 3 dollar admission felt like paying the 3$ in store pick up fee at a3u.

Next time, I'll just take my cash and head there.
Totally fair assessment of the show based on your experience there. Before this last show, I've been going to it as a attendee only, and usually showed up at opening. There have been many times I left empty handed. However, there's been enough times I've found some amazing deals that made up for when I didn't find anything at all. Soundwaves, as it is a long drive for you, I totally understand your feelings about it.

Now as a vendor at the show, me and others here are pushing to help change it from a few toy vendors, and nonsense most of us here wouldn't care about (junk), to a true collectibles and toy show. To write it off based on this one show for most people, who didn't even attend, wouldn't help our community get a dedicated toy show again. I personally don't have the time to organize and run Retro and Relevant anymore, and no one has stepped up to the plate to start their own toy show here. So the best we as a community can do is try to and support the shows that are happening. Vancouver Comic Show at Croation Center is growing big, now with the added second room. However, even with a few toy sellers there, its a comic dominated show, and majority of the vendors return, leaving no room for new vendors to get in.

That leaves the Pop Culture show as the only venue to have a focused toys and collectibles show. It may take a few shows to get it to Retro and Relevant level, however, if we work together, we can make it a fun show to look forward. Otherwise, our local alternative to a toy show is the Cherrybomb show in Victoria. For us lower mainland folks, its an expensive trip to even get there, thanks to the ferry ride back and forth.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #10058
Metallica_Unforgiven
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
Totally fair assessment of the show based on your experience there. Before this last show, I've been going to it as a attendee only, and usually showed up at opening. There have been many times I left empty handed. However, there's been enough times I've found some amazing deals that made up for when I didn't find anything at all. Soundwaves, as it is a long drive for you, I totally understand your feelings about it.

Now as a vendor at the show, me and others here are pushing to help change it from a few toy vendors, and nonsense most of us here wouldn't care about (junk), to a true collectibles and toy show. To write it off based on this one show for most people, who didn't even attend, wouldn't help our community get a dedicated toy show again. I personally don't have the time to organize and run Retro and Relevant anymore, and no one has stepped up to the plate to start their own toy show here. So the best we as a community can do is try to and support the shows that are happening. Vancouver Comic Show at Croation Center is growing big, now with the added second room. However, even with a few toy sellers there, its a comic dominated show, and majority of the vendors return, leaving no room for new vendors to get in.

That leaves the Pop Culture show as the only venue to have a focused toys and collectibles show. It may take a few shows to get it to Retro and Relevant level, however, if we work together, we can make it a fun show to look forward. Otherwise, our local alternative to a toy show is the Cherrybomb show in Victoria. For us lower mainland folks, its an expensive trip to even get there, thanks to the ferry ride back and forth.
Amen brother.

Yes, a lot of us cleared our schedules to make this happen, including myself who invested a pretty penny or two in getting 3 tables.

It's true that not every table there was filled with what most of us consider "collectible." There are some crafts and electronics vendors who have been there for some time and will continue to be there unless they find reason not to return.

That said, there's usually enough unbooked tables within a month of each show that are available, and the idea to load up our toy collectors community there helps to centralize a "go to" spot for meetups and transactions. As a first run at it, i think we succeeded.

Sadly, we cant please everyone, and i understand the sentiments of anyone who makes a long drive, with high expectations only to walk away empty handed. I have been to events, collectibles related or otherwise where i couldnt find what i needed, so its not a fun feeling.

All we can do is appeal to one another as fellow collectors and vendors, with the goal being to optimize the satisfaction of collectors filling their collection needs while vendors succeed financially enough that they return.

All in all, Saturday March 25 was a big step in the right direction. Best i could tell, it was an attendance record since this show moved to the Scottish Centre. Thanks to everyone who came out.

April 22nd will hopefully be just as busy, and hopefully first time vendors and attendees can have an enjoyable experience.

Last edited by Metallica_Unforgiven; 03-31-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Metallica_Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #10059
CKWG
Masterpiece

Quote:

I didn't go till 2 or so...maybe everything worth buying at a decent price was already gone by then but it was a serious waste of my time attending.
That may very well be your diagnosis right here.

I sold at all 4 Retro & Relevant shows and the 1st 1.5 hour make up 40-70% of my sales each time with the most popular and best deals always getting sold at the beginning. All the hardcore collectors always show up at the beginning of the shows pick all the good stuff, and that is why some show such as RnR & Fraser Valley Hobby Show charge extra money to attend in the 1st hour, where as this show it's $3 to attend all day. If you can go to a show at the beginning, definitely go at the beginning. Even though the admission was only $3, there is no reason to rip yourself off by going to a show late where the selection is way inferior and decimate your own enjoyment of a show.

I regrettably went to the show at 12:40 to take care of my newborn in the morning, and missed all the boardies that went early. At that point, my dealer friends were already gloating about how much money they received and my buyer friends were gloating about the goodies they got, one friend got a Fansproject Glacialord for a mere $85 when the retail was well over $200. I also compared with the pictures that Metallica_Unforgiven sent me during the dealer setup time that a lot of big ticket items were already sold when I arrived.

But I totally understand how you feel, not every show is for everyone. Last June I attended Vancouver Comic Show at the Croatian Center after hearing they have more toy vendors. The admission was $5, and they just increased it to $8 early this year. I couldn't find anything that I could buy at all and came up empty handed as most of the show was still for Comics and I only do toys and not Comics. It was an excellent show for Comic fans though. Judging by this experience, I believe you had a better day than me spending $40 on $3 admission at Pop culture Show , when I bought nothing for a $5 admission at Van Comic Show.
CKWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #10060
Msol
Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica_Unforgiven View Post
Amen brother.

Yes, a lot of us cleared our schedules to make this happen, including myself who invested a pretty penny or two in getting 3 tables.

It's true that not every table there was filled with what most of us consider "collectible." There are some crafts and electronics vendors who have been there for some time and will continue to be there unless they find reason not to return.

That said, there's usually enough unbooked tables within a month of each show that are available, and the idea to load up our toy collectors community there helps to centralize a "go to" spot for meetups and transactions. As a first run at it, i think we succeeded.

That said we cant please everyone, and i understand the sentiments of anyone who makes a long drive, with high expectations only to walk away empty handed. I have been to events, collectibles related or otherwise where i couldnt find what i needed, so its not a fun feeling.

That said, all we can do is appeal to one another as fellow collectors and vendors, with the goal being to optimize the satisfaction of collectors filling their collection needs while vendors succeed financially enough that they return.

All in all, Saturday March 25 was a big step in the right direction. Best i could tell, it was an attendance record since this show moved to the Scottish Centre. Thanks to everyone who came out.

April 22nd will hopefully be just as busy, and hopefully first time vendors and attendees can have an enjoyable experience.
Just wanted to chime in and let you know your RGB figures are in good hands.

He's not Ages 3+ yet though, maybe they'll have to spend some time in storage...
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote