Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
chuskers
Machine War
Re: Transformers plastics and joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Weird coincidence, I too transformed Han and Chewie for the first time in months (years?) a couple weeks ago and both Chewie's arms shattered.

GPS strikes again! Haven't had it happen since G1 Monstructor...
HA! that's crazy weird eh! maybe it's just the year to blow a wookies arms off lol. I was a little more shocked at the devastation afterwards, i'd never seen plastic shatter like that before. Not sure about yours, but it honestly looked like a little bomb went off.
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Omegatron
Gen 1

Plastic is one of the most stable materials around and most plastics should last quite well for years. That being said plastic is a composite material and not all plastics are created equally. What can happen is the component parts of some plastics will start to separate over the years. Sometimes the plasticier will leach out making the plastic less flexible and more prone to breakage and sometimes foreign materials like metal flakes will create little pockets of instability which will grow over time. Also some plastics contain fire retardant which can leach out causing yellowing. This is called "inherent vice", and that basically means that even if you leave something alone in an ideal environment, over time damage will occur.

Of course like all chemical reactions energy is required so ultra-violet light, or even visible light can speed up the damage. Humidity should only have a imited effect on plastics but it could cause metal screws or pins to rust.

To keep things safe longest, limit visible light exposure (keep things away from windows, turn off the lights when not in the room) and eliminate UV completely if possible (filter film is available). Keep the environment cool, room temperature or lower, but above freezing and keep the humidity between 40 - 60% (too dry and rubber parts will crack, to high and metal parts will rust - some dehumidifiers have digital readouts which will provide this information).

Sorry for the lengthy reply but part of my work is around keeping historic objects intact, so I tend to pontificate.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
Blurrz
Fast Everything

That sucks you had to deal with GPS still. I know that SW Chewie and Han are one of the last ones, but it always scares me to transform Armada Optimus Prime from the stories that I've heard about him.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
Cronosabre
Machine War

Didn't know about Armada Prime thanks for the heads up Blurrz. Not sure what to do about my BW Megatron, he is currently in beast mode and I am terrified to transform him.
Cronosabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Weird coincidence, I too transformed Han and Chewie for the first time in months (years?) a couple weeks ago and both Chewie's arms shattered.
That's very odd, I was always thought it would have been the other way around

"That's cause a droid don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."

I wonder is there a way to coat the GPS prone plastic, say with a layer of superglue on the inside of the structure to keep it from fracturing?
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote