Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
chuskers
Machine War
Transformers plastics and joints

So today I decided (after about 6 months) to transform my Star Wars Millenium Falcon back into the Han and Chewy bots and found that when I tried to transform chewy the brown plastic in his arms and legs just shattered and were very brittle ...

I read online that apparantly this was a known problem with the plastic on him and a lot of people had the same problem, but it got me to wondering:

Does not transforming a figure routinely lead to fractured joints or brittle plastic? I was usually afraid of handling more expensive figures a lot such as Maketoys Giant and Fansproject Intimidator to as not muck them - heck, my Giant has never been out of combined mode. Has any one here ever had a problem with a figure they haven't transformed in a long time? I know loose joints are always an issue down the road, but didn't think I had to worry about non-used joints as well ...
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Transformers plastics and joints

The only figure I have ever had an issue with after not TFing him for a long time was Cybertron Unicron, that of course was entirely my fault as I completely forgot how to Transform him correctly, forced a part to move in a way it was not designed and broke him.

Honestly, nothing is meant to last forever, we're pushing 30+ years on a lot of G1 early figures and I'm surprised the mint guys are even still good half the time.

I don't believe any have any degradation flaws of the magnitude of the Millennium Falcon though, unless they are known GPS sufferers it's all good.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
justprime
Animated

Nothing lasts forever, but it shouldn't be broken before you unbox it (MProdimus) it shouldnt be brocken if you transform it properly in normal usage it shouldn't have disintigrating plastics and the problem should be fixed by the manufactre instead of repeating the mistake for 30 + years Hasbro and takara should be liable for a faulty product this has been going on since G1 days the gold plastic problem IE Black zarak, monstructor/dinoking, pretenders, actionmasters,leokaiser,G2 arielbots etc...beastwars transmetals right up to the MP Rodimus not to mention fractured /stressed plastics... generations suffers here ,..wreck-gar and the current skids with these problems something that product testing should have picked up along with the numerous other QC issues...with plastic composition Hasbro/Takara have known for 30 years and yet refuse to correct the problem, in the cast of disintigrating plastics a hazzard for children boarders on neglagence and is a waiting lawsuit much like the spring loaded weapons of the 80's one would think this is a no brainer for them to correct this issue.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
steamwhistle
Crossover

I have a Voltron LionBot set... I had it in combined mode on display for a while (a few months). One day I figured to switch it up and separate them to display in lion mode, and in trying to separate the connection from the socket, the plastic connection piece broke.

Plastic does deteriorate and becomes discoloured and brittle(r) when exposed to sunlight/ultraviolet light. I believe this to be true even if the light is indirect, as I had Voltron in a basement with very few windows.

I would also suggest that humidity might also be a factor. It might not be good to store your collectables in a room that is too dry.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle

Last edited by steamwhistle; 03-17-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Defined "a while"
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
laffy
Crossover

+ 1 to steamwhistle .... plastic does become Brittle after time and its a fact of life other put on display and love it or keep misb and NEVER OPEN it...
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Hmm, another toy with GPS? I didn't know that about these, I will be extra careful with mine.

I'm no material scientist, but I would suggest the following for longevity:

-ensure they receive as little light as possible, especially UV
-stable humidity, don't let your collection get dry, but also watch for excess moisture
-stable temperatures...room temperature or just below
-store with the least amount of stress on the joints...this is where leaving them boxed with the inner packaging is, in fact better than standing them up

I always let my figures "warm up" a bit before transforming them, and if anything is stiff I even steam them or heat them with a hair dryer on medium heat...

But all that said, it is nearly impossible to beat GPS...ask any owner of Black Zarak...

Plus many of us actually enjoy our collections, so perfect storage isn't a realistic option ( I have many of mine OOB and standing up)
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
I always let my figures "warm up" a bit before transforming them, and if anything is stiff I even steam them or heat them with a hair dryer on medium heat...
I've never considered that's a precaution that might need to be considered.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
justprime
Animated

I agree over time thats a problem we all face but a NEW product shouldn't have these problems nor should a few years, as for the Uv not as much degradation as discolor what I have found with my G1 at least,.. is that temprature dampness and the fact that they are static for years at a time ..Dust gets into the joints and they stiffen to breaking point I sparingly apply a small amount of sewing machine oil and work the joint,.. wipe any excess off..if the joints too tight I loosen screws to accomplish movement with out breakage, and retighten screws when movement it regained... as for the GPS nothing can help here and best just to leave it alone, however if there is a breakage (most can be fixed) there are epoxies that the automotive body repair industry use for plastics that will repair it to a strong usable condition.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
chuskers
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
I've never considered that's a precaution that might need to be considered.
Me either! thanks for the feedback fellow collectors. Was kinda surprised to learn that transformers actually have a 'shelf life' as it were - who knew toys could expire lol
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuskers View Post
So today I decided (after about 6 months) to transform my Star Wars Millenium Falcon back into the Han and Chewy bots and found that when I tried to transform chewy the brown plastic in his arms and legs just shattered and were very brittle ...
Weird coincidence, I too transformed Han and Chewie for the first time in months (years?) a couple weeks ago and both Chewie's arms shattered.

GPS strikes again! Haven't had it happen since G1 Monstructor...
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote