Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
pandaprime
aficionado!
Re: Dark of the Moon Toy Line: Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
last hasbro press release said soundwave, que and ha soundwave were getting released in asia...and Canada. it was on tfw in the thread
who's betting they go straight to Winners?

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #12
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Winners or Hart

There was some good stuff in there. I got Skyhammer which is my favorite helicopter-former ever. I was also very surprised by Topspin and how he had actualy car mode parts as legs. Some of the Cyberverse were pretty neat and I'm a HUGE fan of the Human Alliance basics (well not all of 'em, Thunderhead, Backfire and Whirl kinda stink).

I guess the newest Ratchetm old wasn't that bad and Crankcase did have a fairly striking robot mode, they're just not really that enjoyable for me. And for the 6$ I paid for him Nitro Bumblebee is pretty cool, his alt-mode certainly looks sweet. I know lots of folk like Darksteel a lot too.

There just wasn't anything all that exciting about it, on the whole it just felt like 'same old same old'. We'll need a long wait before we get new movie designs and I hope that next time around Hasbro just plans less waves so as not to overwhelm the retailers.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
Winners or Hart

There was some good stuff in there. I got Skyhammer which is my favorite helicopter-former ever. I was also very surprised by Topspin and how he had actualy car mode parts as legs. Some of the Cyberverse were pretty neat and I'm a HUGE fan of the Human Alliance basics (well not all of 'em, Thunderhead, Backfire and Whirl kinda stink).

I guess the newest Ratchetm old wasn't that bad and Crankcase did have a fairly striking robot mode, they're just not really that enjoyable for me. And for the 6$ I paid for him Nitro Bumblebee is pretty cool, his alt-mode certainly looks sweet. I know lots of folk like Darksteel a lot too.

There just wasn't anything all that exciting about it, on the whole it just felt like 'same old same old'. We'll need a long wait before we get new movie designs and I hope that next time around Hasbro just plans less waves so as not to overwhelm the retailers.
Loved the Skyhammer mold (he's here on my desk with Lazerbeak's guns in their combined mode). While it will be good to see something different with the new PRID line, it still won't solve our primary problem. This yellow plague that keeps store shelves occupied and prevents new figures from being stocked.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
who's betting they go straight to Winners?
Or Giant Tiger. Ha!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
alternatorfan
g1 baby

I say christmas this year anybets hmmmm....hnnnnn...hmmmmm!
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I'd wager this summer sometime, late summer perhaps. They will want them out of the way before Generations FOC hits the shelf.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I'm still way behind in my DotM collecting and I for one do not see what the big deal was with some of the hate.

From what I own so far, mostly being Cyberverse, I'm really digging the stuff and even now am glad I can find most of it on the shelves. In April I'm hoping to complete my Cybverse collection to the best of my abilities (still haven't seen Powerglide or Guzzle on shelves in person) and then perhaps get some of those deluxes I've been eyeing for a while now. (Crankcase, Barricade, Starscream, Roadbuster.)

I suppose if the Movie Aesthethic doesn't strike you than you're going to feel less inclined to enjoy it, personally I see nothing wrong with it.

And I love that Laserbeak design. He's so evil looking, a pity his combined mode weapon makes him so top heavy.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Like most, I neither loved nor hated the line-- but it did have some very nice figs... Skyhammer fo sho, but also Cyberverse Ark, Blackout, Sentinel Leader class, Powerglide and Guzzle to name a few.

Something remarkable about the line for me was that there were few if any strong deluxes--the scanning figs were my faves and were all from older molds...
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
it still won't solve our primary problem. This yellow plague that keeps store shelves occupied and prevents new figures from being stocked.
This, plus more. To me, the big failures of DOTM were not the toys but the management issues.

Sure, there were toys that were not so great. That's true of every toyline. And there were toys that were great, though maybe not quite as many standouts. I don't see that the quality of toys changed all that much.

The big problem to me was distribution, timing, and assortments. These were all terrible. HA, both large and small scale, were botched. The large size was killed by a shelfwarming first wave. The small size doomed by massive overstock of characters nobody knew because they weren't from the movie.

We see this theme recur in the mainline toys. A movie line filled with toys that weren't in a single frame. This is incompetent marketing and planning. To top it all off, figures that did appear in the movie were designed, developed, and then cancelled. The decision making and product planning is so grossly inept that you could tell me Hasbro was trying to kill Transformers from within and it would make more sense than anything else. If you were asked to run the brand into the ground, could you have done better than DOTM? How clueless can you be to take this movie, which did better than anyone was expecting, and turn box office gold into retail lead?

The incompetence has spilled over into Prime with the great FE line cancelled in a bungling that ought to have heads rolling. Hasbro's only running change is to start shortpacking things in every wave, which I see as a desperate move to mobilize collectors and move product (what FE was supposed to do).

I still don't even understand what Hasbro is thinking. Why spend the money to do different versions of the same characters (FE vs RiD)? Why develop all these figures and then oversaturate with the absolute worst one? Why adopt a strategy whose main effect seems to be to alienate everyone -- collectors, consumers, retailers alike?

In short, DOTM may be gone, but the seeming insanity remains, with the new wrinkle that the product you actually want may be more difficult than ever to find.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I started out disliking the line, then they actually grew on me. I picked up all the avail characters that were actually in the movie. I also grabbed all the CV Commanders except repaints. Now as DOTM is being phased out, so has my like for them. Ugh. I won't sell them off, but as space becomes needed on my shelves, they will become the first to get boxed up.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote