Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Starting to Watch Star Trek: TNG... and I like it.

Ok, Before I start I should say, I grew up with the mind set that you are either one of two people. A Star Wars fan or a Star Trek fan and while it seems truly shallow and ridiculous, I thought I was better than the average Trek fan.

So fast forward to the 2008 Star Trek Movie. I held out for a long time, but a good friend said that it was good and that I should watch it and since that I have really become more open to the whole universe. I have watched most of the Star Trek movies, including the Next Generation ones and have recently started watching The Next Generation every day on Space.

So, not really sure where I'm going with this, but I feel I should repent or something.

So let’s talk about The Next Generation. What do you like about it, Favorite Episodes and other things that the new viewer should know about the series.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Re: Starting to Watch Star Trek: TNG... and I like it.

Aside from the far-out technology it features, it's more of a mature or balanced sci-fi world. It's like you can sit down and watch almost any episode and get interested or be entertained. It's definitely geared more towards a mature audience. Which would probably explain why the franchise is struggling now...

It's again, ideally what Gene Roddenberry hoped for the future to be. I'll admit that most of it's series usually lack humour, and each episode sort of has it's own morale to the story (sometimes).

It's funny how each dominant race sort of represents a type oh human emotion:

Romulans: xenophobia/mistrust
Klingons: honour/glory
Ferengi: Greed
etc.

If you like TNG, you might like DS9/VOY too.

Expect terrible 90's decor/clothing/alien clothing, especially the first couple of series. Troi is also pretty bimbo-y/useless for the first few seasons "Captain, I sense that they are......scared."
At least it was one up from Uhura's secretary role in TOS.

Expect to hate the encounters with Q. It'll make you want to punch him. John de Lancie did a great job though. FYI, when Whoopie stabs him in the hand one episode, it for was real, lol.

Expect to be patient with some of the episodes, it's sort of slow-paced compared to the later series. Scenes with the Enterprise blasting phasers isn't that often, usually Worf and the bridge crew shooting up aliens.

Still lots of red shirts dying on away missions though.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Joalro
Robot in Disguise

TNG season 1 is terrible. Rediculous plot lines, terrible acting, and a useless character (won't say which one, but the character doesn't last the whole season). Season 2 is loads better, but with a different (and therefore worse. Well, not by that dumb logic, but actually she is worse) doctor. Season 3 is when things start getting really good and nearly every episode is fantastic. There are some great highlights. And i would say some of the Q episodes are the best of the show (and some of the Q episodes are the worst).

Inner light is an absolute classic. I, Borg is a personal favourite. Time's Arrow, Best of Both Words, also great.

Voyager is fun for everyone while DS9 is very hit or miss. Enterprise is underrated. It had a decent start, a rocky middle, but a FANTASTIC final season. It's a shame they were canceled cause if the show had continued like it did with season 4, it would have been a truly excellent series.
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Joalro
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
FYI, when Whoopie stabs him in the hand one episode, it for was real, lol.
I looked this up... I don't see any evidence of this...
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

DS9 was the best, IMO. It really sucked we didn't get at least one movie from it.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

TNG gave me the first glimpse at what video games of the future would be like. The Holodeck. I've never wanted anything so bad in my entire life. To do anything, at anytime would be awesome. From flying fighter jets, racing cars, or even a "pleasure" program. Oh yeah.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Cool Re: Starting to Watch Star Trek: TNG... and I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joalro View Post
I looked this up... I don't see any evidence of this...
DéjÃ* Q.

I enjoyed TNG starting season 3. Though there were a few gems in season 2. Like most tv series, season 3 is when things start cooking, and the actors/actresses start "feeling" their characters and most likely contributing to the writing a bit.

I would say the same thing for DS9 and Voyager, both their first 2 seasons weren't that good overall, but had their gems. Then season 3 really picks up steam. Hell, I feel the same way for Enterprise.

I have no idea where you are in TNG, but you'll feel the difference in powerful stories and action. Keep in mind some of the best episodes have little to NO action. As above mentioned, it is geared toward a mature audience.

Dark Rage pretty much had it right as well.

Also, remember this is late 80s and early 90s for the early seasons, so CGI is non-existent.

If you didn't know, I'm a fan of both Trek and Wars.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)

Last edited by Metroplex79; 03-31-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Team Jetfire

Well, I think I started half way through the second season (EP36, I think) and it is much like everyone has stated. The Doctor is a bit weak and Troi is like pretty useless, but no one seems more shooed in that Wesley Crusher. Don't get me wrong, there could be some great potential, but it seems that the writers were using him like some channel to the younger demographic.

I'm also surprised at the lack of Vulcun characters. Given Spocks role in the origional, I would have thought it was a no brainer.

I do also like that each ep, for the most part, is a self contained story.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Don't worry, Troi, Dr Crusher, and even Wesley will grow in character development. They obviously will get a few eps dedicated to them, and dare I say some of them were pretty good.

Can I assume you liked Measure of a Man? (ep 35). In season 1, I really loved Conspiracy (ep 25), mostly because of the head exploding

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Team Jetfire

Yeah, It was a really well done. Especially when Picard made that connection between Data and Slavery.

By watching the newer movies I think I many have shot myself in the foot a bit though. I mean, I know what happens to most the crew eventually and even the particualr character traits that they end up with. I guess the fun part is seeing how they get there......