Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
carissa
Energon
Re: Beast Wars /G1 question

You knida have to suffer through the bad CG and focus on the story.

BW Megatron finds out about the Ark, (The Autobots within are in stasis) and he is determined to take out Optimus Prime (G1) and rewrite history. (The Agenda pt 3)

Optimus Primal merges his spark with Optimus Prime's spark to save him. So Primal now has two sparks in his chest and he becomes Optimal Optimus. Then Optimus Prime's spark is returned to him. (Optimal Situation)
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Protoman
The Legend

If the Marvel comics is any clue, it is a few million year gap. They crashed when the dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. Since Beast Wars had early neanderthals in the show. That's quite a evolution and era gap.

The cartoon is more vague, we only have "4 million years later" go on.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #13
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Worth noting in the first episode of Beast Wars, Megatron and Dinobot scan fossilized remains near their crash site for their dinosaur alt modes. The dinosaurs were long-dead by the time the Maximals and Predacons crash-land, fossilized --- although not too far below the surface yet.

Let's see, timeline...

Maximal/Predacon society takes place 300 years from the *end* of the Autobot/Decepticon Great War (whenever that may be).

The Beast Wars crews travel through space/time and crash on Earth at an indeterminate time when human kind was first evolving, long after the Ark has crashed.

Severe damage to both ships prevents either side from transwarping back to *their* present day.

In the end, the Maximals used a salvaged Autobot shuttle (reworked to incorporate transwarp with parts from the Ark?) to return to *their* present day.

Megatron escapes his bonds during the flight and exits transwarp, somehow takes over Cybertron. It is never really addressed but I feel the implication is he returned *after* he left in the first place, so he's back to present day.

(this is a GLARING issue in Beast Machines --- it's never shown or really explained just HOW THE FUCK MEGATRON COULD DO THIS. Connecting the dots, he tooled around space, figured some shit out, infected Cybertron with his stupid virus, and... no, you know what? Forget it. Beast Machines fucking sucks. Okay, season 2 is okay, but that show is flawed on every level).

Um... right. Maximals exit transwarp into present day, but Megatron has had more than enough time to take over, vapes their shuttle, cue running, running, and running some more through dark generic backgrounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
Abraxys
With full honors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
In the end, the Maximals used a salvaged Autobot shuttle (reworked to incorporate transwarp with parts from the Ark?) to return to *their* present day.
THE Maximals are the ones that caused optimus and crew to be STRANDED ON EARTH!

Abraxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #15
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Quote:
(this is a GLARING issue in Beast Machines --- it's never shown or really explained just HOW THE FUCK MEGATRON COULD DO THIS. Connecting the dots, he tooled around space, figured some shit out, infected Cybertron with his stupid virus, and...
Well, when Megatron escapes his bonds and falls though the time wormhole, he exits at an earlier date than when the Maximals arrive back on Cybertron. I believe he then steals the transformation virus from Cyrotech, who I think based it on that weapon the Decepticons used in that race episode to lock the Autobots in car mode. He then took control of the Vehicon drones and turned them into his army. Then he took over Cybertron and waited for the Maximals to arrive. Which was probably a long wait considering how crazy he went contemplating how he was defeated and came to narly conclusion that it was the fault of his beast mode. Although, he did always seem to talk to his beast head hand when in original and TM2 forms. Or it could have something to do with his idolization of G1 Megatron. Wanting to get rid of his organic side to be more mechanical like his namesake.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #16
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
Well, when Megatron escapes his bonds and falls though the time wormhole, he exits at an earlier date than when the Maximals arrive back on Cybertron. I believe he then steals the transformation virus from Cyrotech, who I think based it on that weapon the Decepticons used in that race episode to lock the Autobots in car mode. He then took control of the Vehicon drones and turned them into his army. Then he took over Cybertron and waited for the Maximals to arrive. Which was probably a long wait considering how crazy he went contemplating how he was defeated and came to narly conclusion that it was the fault of his beast mode. Although, he did always seem to talk to his beast head hand when in original and TM2 forms. Or it could have something to do with his idolization of G1 Megatron. Wanting to get rid of his organic side to be more mechanical like his namesake.
The big issue I have with the Cryotek story is that it is in post-series fiction, whether it's the IDW comics or BotCon shit or whatever. I really like the idea that it is based on the transformation lock weapon from G1, etc.

I also love Megatron's beast heads serving as surrogate talking heads. In certain points the t-rex head, while Megs is in robot mode, is looking around independently of Megatron. Oh yessssss.

It's nowhere to be found in Beast Machines.

I'm not an opponent of BM choosing to explore different themes, spirituality, whatever. It was executed poorly. Needing to "find their still point" to transform was mumbo-jumbo with no real meaning or payoff.

Techological vs biological. Interesting discussion to be had. Could be a good plot point. Except.

RHINOX WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THAT GODDAMN DECISION.

Koff.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #17
Abraxys
With full honors.

Quote:
RHINOX WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THAT GODDAMN DECISION.
Agreed. Aside from a major lack of characters(I understand why, but still they could've added new memorable ones) Beast Machines really lost me when they made rhinox bad. I really rejected the idea that he could become so malignant after all they went through in BW. It was a big slap in the face for BW fans. PLUS Silverbolt getting all EMO, what the hell was that!? LOL. It was a decent show, but it really diluded the characters that I grew up watching.

Abraxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
justprime
Animated

I liked BM more so than BW it was a vary good story line taking the saga to a new level,.. dark and more indepth with the turning of good to bad and a blending inbetween of the lines of good Vs evil showing the extents that desparation drove these charaters to... (such as primes willingness to open plasma chamber and wipe out everything vs megs virus to do the same or rhinox's logic in accepting megs idea of perfection and trying a coo and paying the price showed just what lurked below the surface of rhinox's mind,... not such the nice guy or was it megs virus that changed him and bolt's personallity?) I found made the charaters more rounded out more real than in BW,.. it was a more mature series with unforseen twists, entertaining and if payed attention to most questions were answered through out the series,.. the cg was also done quite well with the addition of shadows to show depth and location, it also set the stage/backstory for things that were appear in Prime (organic life on cybertron/ predicons) to referances to G1 where it was stated that the transformers had to learn to transform over a period of time (five faces of darkness P4) to dismiss it as a lousy series is narrow of sight no it wasn't bw it was the next part of the story
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
I liked BM more so than BW it was a vary good story line taking the saga to a new level,.. dark and more indepth with the turning of good to bad and a blending inbetween of the lines of good Vs evil showing the extents that desparation drove these charaters to... (such as primes willingness to open plasma chamber and wipe out everything vs megs virus to do the same or rhinox's logic in accepting megs idea of perfection and trying a coo and paying the price showed just what lurked below the surface of rhinox's mind,... not such the nice guy or was it megs virus that changed him and bolt's personallity?) I found made the charaters more rounded out more real than in BW,.. it was a more mature series with unforseen twists, entertaining and if payed attention to most questions were answered through out the series,.. the cg was also done quite well with the addition of shadows to show depth and location, it also set the stage/backstory for things that were appear in Prime (organic life on cybertron/ predicons) to referances to G1 where it was stated that the transformers had to learn to transform over a period of time (five faces of darkness P4) to dismiss it as a lousy series is narrow of sight no it wasn't bw it was the next part of the story
I have very strong arguments and criticisms of beast machines as a piece of narrative fiction which does not exist in an isolated vacuum. I certainly have tried to like it and recently rewatched the entire series with an open mind. despite its potential, BM fails as the next chapter in the story. It is deeply frustrating and unsatisfying. I can write a twelve-page footnoted paper with annotated bibliography if required. I have given this entirely too much thought. 'Narrow of sight' is an invalid counter-argument.

Please enjoy it if you do. Seriously. Kindly feel free to knock off dismissing other opinions as having somehow 'watched it wrong.'

Nightscream, people. NIGHTSCREAM.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #20
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxys View Post
Agreed. Aside from a major lack of characters(I understand why, but still they could've added new memorable ones) Beast Machines really lost me when they made rhinox bad. I really rejected the idea that he could become so malignant after all they went through in BW. It was a big slap in the face for BW fans. PLUS Silverbolt getting all EMO, what the hell was that!? LOL. It was a decent show, but it really diluded the characters that I grew up watching.
Jet storm was memorable and awesome!

... Until he was erased because silver bolt.