Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 12-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Longshot
Pretender
Open and Play Big Cannon

Here it is, a plastic bag with a Transformer inside of it. Definitely, environmentally conscious and a very minimalist approach to packaging. I can appreciate that and the fantastic price even more.

With Open and Play, as most people familiar with the Transformer/ 3rd Party collectible scene knows, does not include instructions and as the company philosophy and name dictates, they want the purchaser to open it and play with the toy.

Big Cannon (Galvatron) as it is semi-transformed in the bag with no plastic trays or styrofoam. It is purely no frills and because there is no protection from jostling or bumps, I recommend a quick examination before purchase.

A decent-sized figure with good masterpiece-esque proportions. It is simplistic with strong clean lines. This will not replace the other offerings from companiies like DX9 and Fans Toys. It is a nice compliment for the Galvatron fan and collector.

According to the Tuna Standard, it is definitely MP scaled and sports some decent weight. The plastic feels nice (maybe a grade better than official products) and not cheap, but does not have any metal parts.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Longshot
Pretender
Re: Open and Play Big Cannon

The cannon is looks good despite the visible screws on the other side.

The alt mode is good and is pretty bang on. The cannon can be mounted as I have shown (which I prefer) or with just the orange barrel.

Overall, I like Big Cannon despite its shortcomings compared to his counterparts but he is what he is and at a killer price. If he was available as a mainline product he would have sold like hotcakes. Open and Play has demonstrated that you can still produce a good-looking figure with good materials at a decent price for the consumer.

Here he is scaled beside a Leader class and if you shrunk down Big Cannon to fit leader class sizes Hasbro could make a nice profit.
I definitely can't wait for more from Open and Play. Rodimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Kup, Arcee, Scourge, Cyclonus, bring them all on!
Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I ordered this figure as well, don't want to spend around 200 for DX9 or FT's Galvatron.
My plan is play with this, and wait for the official one's release.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Nostalgic
Banned

FT Galvatron’s price is hovering over $200 CAD before shipping
Seems like the market for Sovereign has dried up and after market prices is getting up there, similar to what’s happening to Willis and Grey Grenadier
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Nostalgic
Banned

Can’t say I like the plastic bag idea, I’m all about the styrofoam and boxes lol
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I ordered this figure as well, don't want to spend around 200 for DX9 or FT's Galvatron.
I guess it is literally open (the bag) and play

I would guess the minimal packaging is more budget than environmental.

The idea of mp scale/quality at an affordable price is good but this particular figure doesn't do it for me. The cannon mode looks like he's doing a downward dog yoga pose and hiding his head
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
Longshot
Pretender

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
DX9 Tyrant for $200?! Wow, that is expensive! Robottoybase has it going for $90 USD. I love my Tyrant and if I could justify FT's version I would but there's so many other good things coming down the pipeline.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise

So this is a Titan Returns Galvatron KO? Looks like some parts are remolded/improved, but quite a bit of Titan Returns Galvy in there.
Digibasherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Longshot
Pretender

Almost. There are some slight differences that remove it out of the KO realm and into the 3rd party.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #10
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibasherx View Post
So this is a Titan Returns Galvatron KO? Looks like some parts are remolded/improved, but quite a bit of Titan Returns Galvy in there.
I would say it's an improvement + oversize.
The reason behind this, also Weijiang MPP10, KBB MPV10, etc.. they need to do oversize, downsize, etc is because in China there is strange rule as long as the size is different, these 3rd party company can justify those products are not knock-off, so they don't need to worry about copyright law.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote