Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #21
urfwc
Beasty
Re: What has happpened to Ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanX3 View Post
Is there a link for Transformers on Facebook Marketplace, or you just search general listings?

I don’t know of any link, what I do is through the app hit the box looking icon in the middle of the bottom row of icons and just type in Transformers, or such like, and search. Hope that helps.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=65059
urfwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #22
dylanio21
Mini-Con

Yeah I haven’t hadn’t much luck with eBay the past while.
Most things I look at the problem isn’t the price of the item, but the shipping and import fees.

It’s a bummer.
dylanio21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #23
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Is there a link for Transformers on Facebook Marketplace, or you just search general listings?
Search general listings.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #24
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566418926923867/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tfcad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/362371483954527/
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #25
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Great summary of the evolution of Ebay in this thread.

I think I joined in something like 2003, built up a reasonable amount of my TF G1, Starcom and Gobots stuff from there. A lot of reliable and memorable sellers.

Today it is more of a 'last resort' for me.

That said I do use "saved searches" for really rare stuff that I'm looking for, and occasionally leverage the flash sales, typical purchases are thru Baobaobao.

But overall it's like others have said "just another shelf to buy from" as the online competition is very stiff.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #26
Pgianos
Banned

Search transformer action figures auctions only... then do it in Canada.. then look at the starting price then look at shipping for a collector card that can easily fit in an envelope...
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #27
chaingunsofdoom
Wrecker

From a seller's perspective it has only gotten worse over the years too. And I don't even sell much.

Yep, there are 50 free listings per month now, but after that you'd need to pay to list more (35 cents?) or wait until a new month to get your 50 listings refilled. Or get a promo offer from them.

Someone has mentioned the eBay fees on final price and shipping, which is around 10%. There are also PayPal fees added as well, which could be from 2-4%.

Shipping costs increase with Canada Post almost every year. It is at least $18 for me to ship anything in a box in Canada (outside of my province which would only be around $12). If you don't do flat rate shipping, then you need to spend time calculating the final boxed dimensions and weight. And then you'll lose 10% on the shipping fee percentage.

So if you do go with flat rate shipping, as a seller I would lose $4 for example, to ship anything to Ontario (because as a CP small business seller you pay the GST/HST for the province you ship to!) if you don't set the flat shipping properly. I don't overcharge on shipping so if the buyer isn't in Ontario I need to go to PayPal and refund a small portion of the shipping cost.

The seller program recognizes 100 sales (per last 12 months) by bumping your final value fees down 20% (so 8% instead of 10%). I have chased that number for months and still haven't gotten close.

As for auction versus BIN, there is no comparison. Unless you have a unique item with dozens of watchers the auction will never end at a price you want (and now you need to pay for a reserve price to protect your $100 item for selling for $1). With BIN if you don't accept offers, your item will sit. If your BIN does have offers, you never get the BIN price (always undercut by 20-25% on first offer).

All this and I haven't even gotten to the users/buyers. I've had scammers reverse charges. If you didn't get a tracking number, you're toast and your money is gone. I had a buyer start a return on a new and sealed item (because they claimed there was internal damage) and eBay forced me to accept it even with "No Returns" set on my listings. Buyers will use different accounts to send different lowball offers. Buyers will buy an item and then ask to cancel it (cancels affect the seller rating). To eBay now, buyers are untouchable.

Last edited by chaingunsofdoom; 04-05-2018 at 12:33 PM.
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #28
Grayfox
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom View Post
From a seller's perspective it has only gotten worse over the years too. And I don't even sell much.

Yep, there are 50 free listings per month now, but after that you'd need to pay to list more (35 cents?) or wait until a new month to get your 50 listings refilled. Or get a promo offer from them.

Someone has mentioned the eBay fees on final price and shipping, which is around 10%. There are also PayPal fees added as well, which could be from 2-4%.

Shipping costs increase with Canada Post almost every year. It is at least $18 for me to ship anything in a box in Canada (outside of my province which would only be around $12). If you don't do flat rate shipping, then you need to spend time calculating the final boxed dimensions and weight. And then you'll lose 10% on the shipping fee percentage.

So if you do go with flat rate shipping, as a seller I would lose $4 for example, to ship anything to Ontario (because as a CP small business seller you pay the GST/HST for the province you ship to!) if you don't set the flat shipping properly. I don't overcharge on shipping so if the buyer isn't in Ontario I need to go to PayPal and refund a small portion of the shipping cost.

The seller program recognizes 100 sales (per last 12 months) by bumping your final value fees down 20% (so 8% instead of 10%). I have chased that number for months and still haven't gotten close.

As for auction versus BIN, there is no comparison. Unless you have a unique item with dozens of watchers the auction will never end at a price you want (and now you need to pay for a reserve price to protect your $100 item for selling for $1). With BIN if you don't accept offers, your item will sit. If your BIN does have offers, you never get the BIN price (always undercut by 20-25% on first offer).

All this and I haven't even gotten to the users/buyers. I've had scammers reverse charges. If you didn't get a tracking number, you're toast and your money is gone. I had a buyer start a return on a new and sealed item (because they claimed there was internal damage) and eBay forced me to accept it even with "No Returns" set on my listings. Buyers will use different accounts to send different lowball offers. Buyers will buy an item and then ask to cancel it (cancels affect the seller rating). To eBay now, buyers are untouchable.
This here is the truth. So much.
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #29
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise

This is a good thread. I remember the hay days when ebay has all sorts of great deals, and half the fun was waiting to snipe (yeah, it's a d*cky thing to do, but some times the feeling of snatching a deal at the last second outweighs getting the actual product). Nowadays everyone thinks they have gold and sells at a super high price for common items or items that are in terrible condition. I think the expectation is there, and one one-off sold auction can rally speculators.

And ugh, don't get me started on that global shipping program.

Last edited by Digibasherx; 04-07-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Digibasherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #30
NeoMatter
Generation 1

I'm currently selling on eBay only and haven't tried other avenues yet. Pretty much just want to keep things simplified until I get more used to selling new/used items. I do set BIN at 'premium', but with offers as some will low ball the item anyways. At least the buyers I dealt with that put in offers were pretty reasonable. The problem is the calculation for final fees, shipping and materials used to pack the item. In the end I lose out, but gain some space I need and at least recoup some funds to put elsewhere.
NeoMatter is offline   Reply With Quote