Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Re: The Winnipeg Jets Possible Return

More Canadian teams can only be a good thing. Just makes it more likely that someone will finally bring the Cup home to Canada.

This news also makes me want to buy one of these "Cybertron Jets" t-shirts even more now. Hrm...still $25 is a lot for a T-shirt.

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 04-03-2011 at 12:51 AM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

No matter what team wins the cup, it will always come to Canada. every team in the NHL has at least one Canadian.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #23
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

News this past week includes:;

Several different reporters reporting that the deal to keep Phoenix in Phoenix is "all but dead".

True North planning a Season Ticket Drive.

John McCain saying that the deal is dead. Apparently his wife has a stake in the concessions business at Jobing.com Arena and has been notified that the Coyotes are done.

And the NHL denying all the above rumors

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #24
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
And the NHL denying all the above rumors
That is what stands out for me. The bigger the fuss they make, the more likely I think that PHX is done.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362283
Old 04-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
Pascal
Banned

Just pray the Coyotes fail epicly during the playoffs to kill any enthusiasm left for the team in Phoenix.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #27
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

This came up tonight on the blog for an Atlanta Reporter named Eklund, who is a known Atlanta homer that has been dissing Winnipeg in the media there for a while:

"From sources tonight.

It all appears to be in place. From what I am told True North in Winnipeg will meet via conference call with the Atlanta ownership group tomorrow. The call will be conducted by Gary Bettman who reportedly is prepared to allow True North to move the franchise to Winnipeg.

True North is prepared to commit $170 Millon to the deal, 110 of which would go to the Atlanta group with the remaining $60M going to the NHL as a transfer fee...and that may be the only rub here.

Another source told me that Bettman has "promised the Owners the Coyotes will not be a financial burden for the current owners, and the assumption here is the transfer fee from the Atlanta deal will cover the Coyotes money from this past season and the coming season."

However, a few owners aren't exactly thrilled with the fact that the Transfer Fee could be used for the Yotes as opposed to the money going to the teams to split up. Another person close to the Board of Governors said, "the Governors have always looked towards the transfer/expansion teams from Winnipeg, Quebec, and even possibly another team in Toronto as a major asset. The number to transfer another team to Toronto has even been said to be as high as half a billion dollars."

So while I fully expect we will hear Winnipeg has acquired a team and is moving it to Winnipeg in the next 24-48 hours, remember the Governors will have to approve the deal.

So what will the new team in Winnipeg be called?

I was told had the Coyotes moved back True North would have used the Jets name, since the franchise was one the Jets and the NHL owned the rights to the team name Jets.

However, of the Thrashers are the team to go. I am hearing the team would be called either the Manitoba Moose or the Manitoba Falcons. The current resident AHL Manitoba Moose would be moved to Saskatchewan. I have heard the first choice is Saskatoon, but Regina is also being considered. I have not heard that the Saskatoon Blades, a very proud franchise, around since the late 60's would be affected or relocated.

Let me be very clear. It bothers me that Atlanta is moving. I really think the team, given a better lease situation and separated from the Hawks, along with the extra TV money from Comcast could still be profitable. And ever since I went to the All-Star game in Atlanta I have kept in touch with several solid Thrashers fans who are dying tonight.

However, I am torn here because I am absolutely thrilled for the people of Winnipeg, who lost their team despite great support and deserve an NHL franchise in the worst way. They are solid fans and I can only imagine the elation they will feel shortly.

I only wish the NHL would expand to 32 teams and put Expansion Teams in Quebec and Winnipeg."

We also have two other Atlanta reporters tweeting news that sounds very positive for Winnipeg. One of them is demanding to know how Gary Bettman can "allow this to happen" to Atlanta.

I'm starting to get excited again, lol. Still, it could all be rumors and bullshit. I guess we'll know by Friday.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #28
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

Winnipeg Falcons sounds better!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #29
Pascal
Banned

Manitoba Falcons? I was hoping for something more creative... or the Jets.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Falcon's actually does have historical significance for Manitoba.

http://winnipegfalcons.com/