Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
What would society look like post zombie apocalypse?

Lets play a little "what if".

I just finished watching the current half season of Fear The Walking Dead, and just recently finished re-reading World War Z, and it got me thinking about how society would function in the post ZA world, where the zombie pathogen has yet to be isolated and cured? Here are some of my thoughts:

Some unknown pathogen has caused the dead to rise to feast on the living! We've wrestled the world back from the brink but nearly half the world's population has died, and whatever causes zombies will be with us for the foreseeable future, and no matter how one dies, that person WILL rise. How does this effect society going forward?

Patients with terminal illnesses would have to be isolated and restrained. If someone's death is imminent you wouldn't want them to die and reanimate and run amuck in the hospital. Or maybe that would be the final impetus for society to embrace euthanasia?

Homelessness could no longer be allowed. I know some people who have been homeless, and they tell me that it is a tough existence. Finding food, shelter, dealing with the elements, dealing with individuals who are mentally ill. People die on the streets all the time, and if a homeless person died and came back, they would be an immediate threat.

Activities like hiking and camping would either be outlawed or be only allowed in very restricted areas. While the urban areas may have been secured, there would be no way to fully secure the wilderness areas, and there could be any number of the dead still wandering around out there in isolated areas.

There could be no more swimming in shallow, open water. There could be countless dead under the water of lakes and oceans, and anywhere you could easily wade into the water would be a danger. The shallows would have to be dredged and cleared and then somehow fenced off to make beaches safe. And even then they would have to be guarded and patrolled.

Attempted suicide would become a serious crime. If you try to kill yourself in any way that doesn't destroy your brain, your corpse becomes a potential threat after your death that endangers society around you.

That's all I can think of right now, I'm sure there are other things I haven't thought of. Any other ideas?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
grizzly519
Alternator
Re: What would society look like post zombie apocalypse?

Just a few random thoughts.Any surgeries that could result in potential death requires patient to be strapped during operation as well as recovery period with 24 hour nursing in case of the patient turning.Perhaps personal transportation would be outlawed as way too many fatalities on major highways so only vehicles with set speed limits and sensors up the wazoo would be allowed.International travel if at all would require a briefcase of documents stating health both before leaving and upon reentering the country.People would be severely regulated for drugs prescription or otherwise and alcohol so as not to accidentally overdose.Sunset kerfews would be law for safety reasons.If the disease spreads to animals pets would no longer be allowed or again a breifcase of documents stating health would be required and indoors for pets only unless leashed(good luck leashing and walking most cats lol).Accidental food poisoning would be a serious offense.

Last edited by grizzly519; 07-24-2017 at 10:18 AM.
grizzly519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly519 View Post
Just a few random thoughts.Any surgeries that could result in potential death requires patient to be strapped during operation as well as recovery period with 24 hour nursing in case of the patient turning.
That's a good one.

Quote:
Perhaps personal transportation would be outlawed as way too many fatalities on major highways so only vehicles with set speed limits and sensors up the wazoo would be allowed.
Or perhaps this would really push forward driverless cars? They could be programmed to only go certain speeds, they wouldn't take any risks, and they'd follow all the rules of the road.

Quote:
International travel if at all would require a briefcase of documents stating health both before leaving and upon reentering the country.
Well, if it's a pathogen like in The Walking Dead where everyone has it, I guess the only thing that could be screened for would be other life threatening conditions. But people in that tenuous state of health probably isn't doing much traveling anyways.

Quote:
People would be severely regulated for drugs prescription or otherwise and alcohol so as not to accidentally overdose.
Yeah, like homelessness, the "street junkie" would disappear.

Quote:
Sunset curfews would be law for safety reasons.
I don't really see the logic in this. It's not like zombies only come out at night, like vampires. I could see maybe imposing a curfew on certain age groups maybe.

Quote:
If the disease spreads to animals pets would no longer be allowed or again a breifcase of documents stating health would be required and indoors for pets only unless leashed(good luck leashing and walking most cats lol).
I think if the disease spread to animals we'd probably know about it long before the end of the ZA.

Quote:
Accidental food poisoning would be a serious offense.
Maybe not "serious", but I could see heavy fines being levied on dining establishments where one or more people got severe food poisoning.

Also rigorous adherence to food allergies would have to be mandatory. Because now if little Billy has a severe reaction to peanuts at school, the whole class could be on the lunch menu.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
grizzly519
Alternator

I don't know how to seperate comments like you did.I only know reply which reposts whole comment.Anyway my logic in sunset kerfews was even though the dead are about regardless of time they are certainly harder to see in the dark and so to prevent those nightbites kerfews are imposed.animals haven't been shown with virus in walking series but have in Z nation and even if it did spread to animals humans would still want their pets so that's why i said stuff there.Vehicle transportation you wrote what i was trying but unable to explain.I could see a serious offense or heavy fines with food poisoning especially if you did it to yourself.Ate that week old chicken breast in the fridge then off to the hospital,wasted their time,extra staffing in case of turning,bedspace and meds for someone who could desperately need it.

Last edited by grizzly519; 07-25-2017 at 08:18 PM.
grizzly519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
MonstaBot
Sword of Fury=:p

Oh I love Post Apocalyptic Thought Exercises=
Years ago when the Resident Evil games were big I would pass the time at work imagining how I would survive in the office I worked in- What I could use as weapons and where I could get supplies. I would even have fun seeing how fast I could enter the passcode into the 'restricted' areas of the building= But enough about me and my light hearted take on undead fest... What would society look like post zombie apocalypse?

Well as shown in excellent shows like The Walking Dead and the Living Dead movies, the imagined fun of the gamer and the optimism of the survivalist would soon turn to stark terror in this new nightmare world. Take the worst parts of humanity unleash it upon a society on the brink of collapse and just add zombies. In zombie and other post apocalyptic lore, Humans are the real Monsters. Zombies are just there to show us the horrible things that humanity will resort to during a disaster. You need only look to the tragedies and wars of the past and even present to see how quickly people resort to violence and totally destroy everything and themselves.... Newly implemented Marshal Law and all organized government would soon collapse as would basic necessities and infrastructure like water, electricity, hospitals, transportation and food. Cities would die and be abandoned as would the suburbs, small towns and eventual safe havens in the wilderness. Nowhere would be safe or untouched from the plague of the dead... Ungh!
Too real and too bleak. I think I'll stick to my zombie flicks and games=

Last edited by MonstaBot; 07-30-2017 at 03:14 PM.
MonstaBot is offline   Reply With Quote