Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #21
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: MP Megatron alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot View Post
It's hilarious how many people are suggesting Apollyon, I can instantly tell which of you never transform your figures.
You know what they say about people who just assume.

I've got no problem transforming my Apollyon. Once you're familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the figure, it's no more difficult than an other MP figure.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #22
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
Not IP theft. Copyright doesn't attach to ideas, just the form of their expression. If you have a Canadian authority that says otherwise, I'd like to see it. Now dismounting the tall pony myself.

That said, all 3 are subpar to MP36 imo. There is one other rumoured to be in the works, Weijiang O/S which is apparently a blend of Apollyon and Mightron but bigger.

Still MP36 is a clear winner for me.
Okay, before I talk about this, let me be clear: I HAVE ZERO ANIMOSITY/ANGER IN THIS POST! For me, it's just an interesting topic to go over. I mean no disrespect to any of the excellent members of this board. My post is me sitting here thinking out loud to himself and sharing those thoughts with you. I'm always happy to learn and I'm willing to be wrong.

Megatron is a copyrighted character and likeness. He is the intellectual property of Hasbro/Takara.

Transforming robots are an idea and many other companies have variations. Voltron, Power Rangers, etc. Even a gun turning into a robot is an idea and therefor fair game. All of which are separate from Megatron the character.

Renaming a silver transforming gun and stock that is clearly meant to be megatron and changing the name alone (and leaving off the faction symbol, though creating a space for it to exist) wouldn't stand up in a court of law.

You might get away with it if the character were blue, or purple, or had a different helmet. You have more than enough grounds to suggest a clear difference. But a casual toy fan would look at those 3P offerings and say 'oh, that's megatron' and Hasbro/Takara could protest under the banner of IP theft that is hurting sales and damaging their brand (neither of which are likely given the nature of 3P offerings in general and the total sums may be small potatoes to HasTak).

Seriously, am I going to get away with creating Larry Potter who goes to Togwarts School of Wizarding?

In short, 3P get away with it because they aren't sued, NOT because it's legal.

"Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the intellect for which a monopoly is assigned to designated owners by law.[1] Intellectual property rights (IPRs) are the protections granted to the creators of IP, and include trademarks, copyright, patents, industrial design rights, and in some jurisdictions trade secrets."

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. To me, it's not something that's debatable, but is a point of fact. Where you stand on the ethics of it (and for me, screw Walmart) might determine how accepting you are of the practice. Like smoking weed or drinking before you're 19. Not allowed, but shit son, who am I to tell you what you can and can't do?
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #23
TRUCKvsGUN

No animosity here either, just chiming in.

If a 3P company made replica MP36's a la KBB or Wei Jiang, I'd call that IP theft. I can tell an MP36 from a Despotron or Appolyon by sight, though, so to me that isn't IP theft; they just look similar. It's like suggesting Lamborghini's IP is being stolen by McLaren, just because they happen to also make really sleek looking sports cars that I can't afford.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #24
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

With IP, just ask "What would Disney do?".

Eg, if some company started making unlicensed "Ricky Mouse" figures and merch that looked just like Mickey Mouse, but wasn't Mickey Mouse... would Disney Legal lawsuit-nuke them from orbit?

Yes, yes they would.

The character and likeness of Megatron is the property of Hasbro, protected by international copyright law.

That said, companies in China are pretty much untouchable in this because of the legal system there.

Also, while I know the above, I'm not saying a lot of my collection isn't 3P.

It's like downloading music/movies/TV. Copyright violation. Take that as you will.

/ Source: I've worked in IP for years.

----

As for Megs: I'm not a Sunbow cartoon guy, so MP-36 isn't quite my cup o tea. Apollyon is pretty, but fiddly and delicate to transform. I'm selling a MIB Apollyon for $100 if anyone is looking. Less than $100 and I'll keep him cuz he is indeed pretty and poses well.

Last edited by Goaliebot; 03-29-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #25
elburrito
Animated

I don't think we're disagreeing on the law, but the facts. Even that could be left for argument one piece at a time. That said, downloading music isn't copyright infringement either (unless you are then selling the music). Downloading music is either "theft" or completely fine depending what country you are in and what treaties your country has signed.

I have to agree with Scrapmaker though. Takasa Tony is probably copyright infringement because it relies on fooling people who want "official" transformers. "Appollyon" for example, appeals to people who like the "idea" of Megatron but don't care about the brand. The difference is significant.

If the line is mere "likeness" all cars would be Fords, all cellphones would be Motorola etc... The bottom line is you can copy any idea you like, what one can't do is profit from another's goodwill.

All of which is respectfully submitted...

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #26
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Hey if China can make fake rice for people to eat, they can make fake toys for people to play with.

If and only if they take my fake cash and fake credit cards.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:11 AM   #27
79transam
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post
MP05 is NOT a p.o.s. It is, however, fiddly as hell with many pieces that easily can pop off. It's an impressive piece of engineering that is now a bit dated and the two-three week production time leading to its creation shows.

There is no alternative to MP36 other than MP05 if you want a Masterpiece Megatron. If you just want a big Megs, then go with Combiner Wars.

I can't personally suggest you go with Ap, Des, or Might. All 3P figures/versions are IP theft and shouldn't be supported. If you like them and want them, so be it, but it's contributing to that theft.

BTW, that's not my opinion, that's just how the law sees it. If you're okay with that kind of theft, then go ahead. I won't dispute that there are some beautifully made figures that represent a lot of time and effort. Some of these have tempted me in the past as well but ethically I can't do it.

I DO support 3P original efforts (based on their own creations and not clearly modelled after existing owned ideas), but those have largely dried up. I understand... they don't make the same kind of money.

Anyway, my high horse is riding up into my crotch so I'll get down now.
If IP theft is your reasoning for being retentive about 3P, then your hypocracy ought to be highlighted with your unjustified use of light bulbs, telephones and penicillin as well as anything stemming from telescopes or general relativity. Those things are all within the boundaries of your moral code and thus, should immediately be ceased of use.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #28
chogokin
Mini-Con

I like my DX9 Mightron but he's not perfect. My MP-36 is on the way but from the way the transformation looks on the YouTube video it's like you died and went to panel hell. I will say that the tech they've incorporated into the shaping of the cartoon-accurate legs and feet are just insane.
chogokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #29
optimusb39
Animated

i just watched the transformation of the new megs, and im amused how people are saying it looks so good, yet they criticise badcubes over engineered transformations. the transformation is unique but so fiddly and results in a very panel heavy and not mention scratch heavy result. it reminds me of apollyon in that aspect.
also the cartoon accurate character design is accurate- to the show, butdoesnt match mp10s asthetics imo.
overall im impressed at the way thry did it but im sticking with despotron myself, hes clean in robot mode, matches mp 10 very closely and his transformation is fairly smooth. the panelling in gunmode is cleaner than mp36 and the finish is not as flat and doesnt scratch off in transformation.
sure hes got thicker legs and the gun barrel is too thick but it feels solid.
all i can say i that we live in a blessed time when we have so many options to choose from, third party and official.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #30
TRUCKvsGUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9V4q7CkOfc

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote