Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.
Gamestop/EB puts profits over people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYBHMIZ1Q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIPWsC1c_KA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea-ygJ0vYbo

Disgusting.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ
Re: Gamestop/EB puts profits over people

Yup, pretty bad on EB part, only the Executives to blame, making greedy decisions while in the safety of their homes. Feel sorry for the front line workers, a lot of them are very cool.

But can't think of a more fitting game to lineup for during a Pandemic than DOOM.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

EB shoudn't be a whipping boy for this.

Best Buy was open here in BC today albeit with a max number of people in store.

Walmart was selling AC and DOOM.

The Source was open in the mall near me.

I'm not corporate shill but blame the dumbasses in such a rush to get those games they HAD to lineup. They were open all day. I got mine at 2pm and no one was around yet there was still a line of 10 people at the BestBuy (one guy was returning an Atari console!).

There was also the option of cancelling the preorder and buying online or digitally. They weren't accepting trades or cash and had wipes on hand if you needed to use the pin pad. Also, they announced they were closing for the foreseeable future as of the end of the day Friday.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post

I'm not corporate shill but blame the dumbasses in such a rush to get those games they HAD to lineup. They were open all day. I got mine at 2pm and no one was around yet there was still a line of 10 people at the BestBuy (one guy was returning an Atari console!).

There was also the option of cancelling the preorder and buying online or digitally. They weren't accepting trades or cash and had wipes on hand if you needed to use the pin pad. Also, they announced they were closing for the foreseeable future as of the end of the day Friday.

The fact that EB is closing stores today is not a sign of responsibility so much as it's a sign that they were caught on record for being corporate ass hats that wanted profit.

The fact that they outright stated that they do not have proper cleaning supplies or sanitizers in their store during all is a testament to where their priorities are.

EB being a whipping boy is also what prompted BestBuy to close doors and do curbside pick up only. The Source has also closed corporate owned stores, the ones you see opened are privately owned to which you can blame the ass hat owner for staying open without precaution.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
steamwhistle
Crossover

IMO... BestBuy is considerably more "essential" than EB Games.

I have heard a positive number of stories along the lines of employers buying equipment (laptops, computers, tablets, peripherals, etc.) from Best Buy for their employees to be able to work from home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:

EB is bad, so is BB.

Walmart needs to stay open for essentials (like foods) and for the pharmacy. May be they should make all other departments off limit while they have to stay open for people that needs their prescriptions, etc.

And people put their entertainment & preorder deposits over health, not to mention potentially putting their family members at risk. Everyone can live w/o Animal Crossing and DOOM Eternal. Yes, EB wasn’t flexible in letting customers choose another delivery methods (may be not doable in some manners?) but it is not like EB is canceling their preorders.

They closed probably because of the public backslash. They most likely just wanted to dump all their Animal Crossing and DOOM before the lockdown to minimize loss.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

In Manitoba EB followed the rules laid out by the local health authority/government. Retail businesses have not been ordered to close as of yesterday in MB.

If a jurisdiction ordered them to close and they remained open, as in certain states, thats definitely a problem.

I can give them a break for following regulations set up in different areas where closing is not mandatory.

If we are to follow the advise of our leaders who are being informed by medical experts, then lets do that. If it doesn’t agree with an individuals personal feelings on the subject, fair enough, but then your issue is with your Premier, not businesses following the instructions laid out by the government.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
905soundwave
Robot in Disguise

EB should expand into household goods so then it won’t be so bad. Just like Canadian Tires did once upon a time. Then you’ve got your basis covered for all emergencies and crisis. Power outage? Batteries and camping gear. Ice storm? Shovels salt and blankets. Pandemic? Cleaning supplies. More than just tires. Future of game purchases is online so they will have to change their model quick or become an HMV.
905soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
The fact that EB is closing stores today is not a sign of responsibility so much as it's a sign that they were caught on record for being corporate ass hats that wanted profit.

The fact that they outright stated that they do not have proper cleaning supplies or sanitizers in their store during all is a testament to where their priorities are.

EB being a whipping boy is also what prompted BestBuy to close doors and do curbside pick up only. The Source has also closed corporate owned stores, the ones you see opened are privately owned to which you can blame the ass hat owner for staying open without precaution.
So you're saying you don't blame the people that lined up to pick up their games at all? The company should have closed it's doors to save people from their own stupid selves?
Old 03-23-2020, 05:33 AM   #10
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Quote:
So you're saying you don't blame the people that lined up to pick up their games at all? The company should have closed it's doors to save people from their own stupid selves?

What I said is that Gamestop/EB puts profits over people. You're branching off into a whole new point by putting words into my mouth. If you want to talk about customers then create a new customer thread and talk away.