Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews > Transformers Video Reviews

Old 09-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #11
RansakWORK
Beast Machine
Re: Legacy Blitzwing Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
It's a good robot mode. Maybe if it clearances for 39 like starscream lol

i'd rather get TR or track down LG.....
Really? Feel like the TR version even with upgrade kits is missing the CHONK that the Legacy one has but again to each their own. Really debated on getting that TR one before we knew they were doing a Blitzwing and I am glad i held off.
RansakWORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #12
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Wasn’t gonna say nothin cause I don’t have Legacy Bdubs in-hand but

Thrilling30 was JUST before I got back into collecting, so any I got were backfills, and T30 BW just didn’t look good to me, so I never got it

TR I would have gotten, but I just could not find a single copy with decent face paint; every single TR BW I ever saw had completely awful purple blotch paint goop face

So I got the Takara Legends, and it’s… OK
It def has the better face, no sh*tty stickers, AND it comes with a lil murder elephant
It’s OK enough that I reversed my decision to pass on the Megatron pre-tool, which I guess is something

Legacy BW, to me, looks way better than TR/LG, so I’m probably going to get it - he’s the Devastation representation I never felt from the others yet
I agree about the hands, they’re stupid - I keep asking people if they’re supposed to be a reference to like, a bad G1 animation error in an episode or something?
And the undercarriage in both alt modes is brutal
Maybe 3rd party will do something cool to improve it somehow?

Anyways that’s my two cents
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:27 PM   #13
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Wasn?t gonna say nothin cause I don?t have Legacy Bdubs in-hand but

Thrilling30 was JUST before I got back into collecting, so any I got were backfills, and T30 BW just didn?t look good to me, so I never got it

TR I would have gotten, but I just could not find a single copy with decent face paint; every single TR BW I ever saw had completely awful purple blotch paint goop face

So I got the Takara Legends, and it?s? OK
It def has the better face, no sh*tty stickers, AND it comes with a lil murder elephant
It?s OK enough that I reversed my decision to pass on the Megatron pre-tool, which I guess is something

Legacy BW, to me, looks way better than TR/LG, so I?m probably going to get it - he?s the Devastation representation I never felt from the others yet
I agree about the hands, they?re stupid - I keep asking people if they?re supposed to be a reference to like, a bad G1 animation error in an episode or something?

Anyways that?s my two cents
Allegedly the designers didn't have much of a choice. On one of the Instragram designers posts they said they were shown a series of "energon weapons" that had to be in wave 1 for the "play pattern" and had to fit them in.

Would blitzwing have been Voyager without? Unlikely but.....

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:05 PM   #14
Grimlocked
Generation 2

I like how blocky his design is but the gauntlets are just silly as many of you have pointed out.
Grimlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #15
Skorpulator
Armada

My issues with Legacy Blitzwing:

-fake wings in robot mode (an insult to good engineering)
-tank mode based on a mistransformed product shot (see TFwiki)
-jet mode with ugly and super visible tank junk attached underneath

Really, all they had to do was to upscale the original toy and add articulation to the robot mode. Both alt modes were already super clean.
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:21 PM   #16
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpulator View Post
My issues with Legacy Blitzwing:

-fake wings in robot mode (an insult to good engineering)
-tank mode based on a mistransformed product shot (see TFwiki)
-jet mode with ugly and super visible tank junk attached underneath

Really, all they had to do was to upscale the original toy and add articulation to the robot mode. Both alt modes were already super clean.
I didn't even realize he had fake wings in robot mode. I don't necessarily hate "fake" hoods and wheels, but on a 76 dollar toy... the engineering on this dude is just terrible.

"Additionally, the character model for his tank mode was evidently based on a mis-transformed toy, as it orients the entire body of the tank backwards, with his jet cockpit being at the front, visible below the tank's barrel, instead of at the back."

Yeesh.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #17
BirdLaw
Generation 1

I got him and agree that at leader price he's kind of a rip off. I even quite like all his modes but I found unboxing him to be somewhat comedic with how small he was compared to the box insert. He should either be a voyager, bigger or come with a better accessory than the hands.
BirdLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #18
Marcotron
Robot Master

Fun debate! (And not the first time it's been debated)

Comparing this to previous versions, sure the robot mode looks great, but it's the same height as a voyager, if not shorter. For that price point, I would expect the two alt modes to be perfect, and neither are even close to good.

Comparing it to the G1 toy, the G1 toy had very few parts, you flip fold the treads and rotate them around and that's about it. The wings were a solid chunk of toy. It was one of the best G1 toys to play with, even if it was clunky and not articulated at all... This new one doesn't look fun to play with. It looks tedious and over-engineered, but not in a good way. The chest plate flipping thing is just badly done. Some of the third party companies that have done this character have done a much better job of compressing the parts and making the alt modes look good. I think DX9 is the best, but KFC has great looking alt modes too.

Compared to previous Hasbro versions, both voyager class figures are taller in bot mode, more fun to transform, and frankly, look better in alt modes. The Generations figure is a challenge to transform, and yet, it all goes together without faking anything. Is it realistic, no, but it's fun. The Titans Return figure does a decent tank, great jet mode, and the robot is good enough. Both previous voyager figures have the same complexity as this new one. This Legacy one is a Leader class by inflation only.

And that leads into my final point, the price point. For triple the price of what Voyager TR Blitzwing went for (TR voyagers were $30, this one is close to $90), you'd expect it to be at least twice as good, and it's just not. Fake wings should never have been a thing. Neither should those stupid hand cannon things. I'm not wasting my money on this.

For those who have it and enjoy it, that's great. Enjoy!
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #19
savagephil
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Wasn?t gonna say nothin cause I don?t have Legacy Bdubs in-hand but

Thrilling30 was JUST before I got back into collecting, so any I got were backfills, and T30 BW just didn?t look good to me, so I never got it

So I got the Takara Legends, and it?s? OK
It?s OK enough that I reversed my decision to pass on the Megatron pre-tool, which I guess is something

Legacy BW, to me, looks way better than TR/LG, so I?m probably going to get it - he?s the Devastation representation I never felt from the others yet
I agree about the hands, they?re stupid - I keep asking people if they?re supposed to be a reference to like, a bad G1 animation error in an episode or something?

Anyways that?s my two cents
That's the best version of blitzwing the takara legends one.
I have the Titans return one with a painted face and it suffices.

They should have made this a voyager, or at the very least scrapped those awful hulk hands, for better engineering in the jet and tank modes. He is a tad to short as well.

I will get him at a discount, I'm not sold on paying full price for him. Maybe once I have him in hand he will grow on me.
savagephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #20
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
I think people like GotBot have explained quite thoroughly the problems. Now, if you like it, awesome! If you are happy with the price you paid, ok! But "I don't get all of the hate" when folks are quite clear on why.

Tank has cockpit sticking out --- sure, but the G1 didn't have it sticking out SO far. It's silly. There is clearly room for it to compress further. It doesn't have to fully hide, but it's ludicrously extended.

Jet has a tank on the underside? G1, actually, only had the turret on the underside (which could be removed). This literally has half a tank hanging underneath. That's what ANIMATED Blitzwing did and it was fine, becuase he was meant to be silly. But that was a 20 dollar toy. Titans Return Blitzwing is far from perfect, but it compressed the jet mode better. Thrilling 30 has a major design flaw, and it did it better. If the goal here was slavishness, they failed.

Ultimately it's at a leader class price point and doesn't come close to justifying it. If it was a voyager, fine. I have a lot of time for the restrictions forced upon the designers by numbers people, but this is a major miss. At *least* Astrotrain came with an addition to his train mode and four cool guns.

Seems like we just can't get a truly excellent generations Blitzwing.
Very well said. To each their own of course. I think somewhere in the triple venn diagram of the three versions we have, there is a really good Blitzwing hiding.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote