Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
Looking for a price quote

Let's say someone had an original, sealed G1 Menasor gift set available for purchase. Does anybody have an idea as to what a fair price for that would be?

When I say fair, I guess the bottom line is 'whatever the seller is asking'

That said, I'd like to get a ballpark idea. I see that ebay has knockoff sets and they look pretty good. They're around $100 USD.

Any idea? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Looking for a price quote

Sealed G1 Scrambled city limbs are listed for over $100 on ebay. You figure a sealed Scramble city central bot would be at least double that. So you're looking at $600 for sealed individual bots.

I believe gift sets are generally higher than individually packaged items, so you're probably looking at well over $600 as my best guess-timate .
Old 08-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Ebay is a horrible way to judge market value.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
big dawg
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
How so? I understand a lot of items are overpriced but looking at sold listings should give you a pretty good ballpark figure. Not sure why people just blanket hate on that place (kinda like Costco in your Costco thread)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
How so? I understand a lot of items are overpriced but looking at sold listings should give you a pretty good ballpark figure. Not sure why people just blanket hate on that place (kinda like Costco in your Costco thread)
It's because unless you are a powerseller with a store, you don't get a good look at all of the figures to determine what is market value. Simply looking at sold listings will not give you the information.

There are people who will swear Amazon's prices are market value and we all know that isn't true.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
It's not perfect but if 10+ listings give the same sort of price then it gives you at least the high end of market. It's a starting point not the be all.

Also not all eBay prices are rip offs.

With that said, what are your methods of determining ball park of what something is worth?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Megatron75
Alternator

MISB is a totally different game than MIB when you are talking cost. I've never even seen a sealed one for sale. MIB ones are expensive enough if you can find one at all. I'm guessing $1,200 ballpark for a vintage, sealed one. Possibly more depending on box grade. Watch out for KOs.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
It's not perfect but if 10+ listings give the same sort of price then it gives you at least the high end of market. It's a starting point not the be all.

Also not all eBay prices are rip offs.

With that said, what are your methods of determining ball park of what something is worth?
I never said ebay prices were rip offs, I said you can't use them to judge reliably. Sometimes items sell for far less or far more than they are worth.

For myself I use a variety of ways, ebay is only a part of the equation I use to determine value. I would never rely on it exclusively as it doesn't give you an accurate assessment of the market value.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
For myself I use a variety of ways, ebay is only a part of the equation I use to determine value. I would never rely on it exclusively as it doesn't give you an accurate assessment of the market value.
This is basically what I just said. So what are your variety of ways? Is it some top secret that you can't tell us for fear of death? I mean that was the purpose of this thread. Someone asked for help on pricing.

I gave a ballpark guesstimate and explained how I came up with it. Is it an exact price down to the cent? No. But like I said ballpark.

If that number isn't to your liking, why don't you point us all to some resources and help us all out? I mean couldn't this info be helpful in other instances?

One of the other resources I use is transformers land.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

I use Ebay, Amazon, Message boards, Facebook groups, and retailer stores -both online and brick. I thought it would be redundant to point out the obvious, that was why I never said anything.
Closed Thread