Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 05-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus
Transbot90210's TB3PRV UT-A01 Soundmixer

Greetings and salutations my fellow Transfans. Welcome to another exciting Transbot90210’s TB3PRV. For those of you who are new that means Transbot90210’s 3rd Party Review. Today it is with great joy and excitement that I review for you all Unique Toys Soundmixer. Soundmixer is Unique Toys offering of Generations Blaster and carries with him his old school 80’s BOOMBOX Alternate mode. Let’s dive into this one, shall we?

We begin with the first thing we will all see when receiving this item, the box. The box is constructed of a thick cardboard and is pretty enough as a display piece of its own for you MISB collectors. The front of the box houses a beautifully drawn image of Blaster carrying a gun that is very reminiscent of Beast Wars Transmetal Optimus Primal’s gun. There is a reason for that which I will get into later on in the review. The back of the box is sporting a little more art and this time with one of the “armour” parts that come in this set. The back of the box also shows off images of Soundmixer in bot mode, alt mode and his cassette in both modes.

Inside the packaging you will find the Soundmixer figure, black armour bits, a Tech Spec card and instructions.

The Tech Spec card has the same image as the front of the box on its’ front and on the back you will see Soundmixer’s statistics.

The instruction sheet is very good layout and the instructions are very easy to follow.

Let us move to the meat and potatoes of this review, SOUNDMIXER.
Soundmixer comes packages in robot mode and his black armour pieces come unattached to the figure. The pieces are very easy to attach on to Soundmixer but in this reviewer’s humble opinion, they really do serve no purpose. Word in the rumour mill is that they needed to add these pieces to make the robot look different from Blaster to avoid legal issues. That is the rumour but any way you look at it, once the armour is removed, what you are left with is one beautiful looking Generations Blaster figure.

Soundmixer has all the articulation even the biggest articulation buff could ask for. The only articulation missing from this figure is wrist swivels. Wrist swivels have never been an issue with me personally but I think they make up for this by giving Soundmixer articulated hands. Everything else is there, neck on ball joint, shoulder, biceps, waist, hips, knees and the ever so important ankle tilts. Soundmixer’s chest also opens to reveal a removable cassette inside.

Last edited by Transbot90210; 05-17-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Transbot90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus
Re: Transbot90210's TB3PRV UT-A01 Soundmixer

Unique Toys originally intended to release this figure with a Steeljaw minion but made an 11th hour change and included a cassette to gun accessory instead. Soundmixer’s chest cannot hold original G1 cassettes due to its smaller size. Personally I think the smaller cassette cavity allowed for Soundmixer to look much more proportionate in bot mode. If we can all recall BTS’s Sonicron, we can see what happens when you try fitting G1 cassettes into a large deluxe figure; they become all chest and everything else looks off. Unique Toys has made mention that they are still working on improving their smaller Steeljaw and this reviewer really hopes they do release him and the rest at the new smaller size.
Soundmixer’s cassette to gun accessory is very fun to transform with a couple of steps that show that a talented engineer was behind this project. The final product is a beautiful hand held firearm for Soundmixer that has taken some cues from the original G1 Blaster gun.

Transformation is fairly straight forward and all pieces fit perfectly. One thing I would like to point out is that during transformation some parts of the Alt mode fit into place but do not lock. This is not an issue with the final alt mode because once everything is complete and all the parts that do lock lock, you are left with a wonderful looking boombox that takes us older fans right back to the 80’s. The alt mode is a sight to behold from the front and sides but is lacking from the back. The silver lining here is that I have never seen a boombox facing backwards so this should not have any effect when displaying Soundmixer in alt mode.

Overall Soundmixer is a beautiful rendition of a Generations version of G1 Blaster that Unique Toys has hit out of the ball part. The colours are wonderful with plenty of paint applications to break apart the mainly red and grey body. The plastic quality on this figure feels very good and durable. The articulation is through the rough and you will be hard pressed to find a position that Soundmixer can not make. The cassette is a beautiful little extra and the possibility of Unique Toys producing more cassette allies for Soundmixer makes the thought of this character very exciting.

On a rating system of “BUY IT”, “TRY IT” or “SKIP IT”
Transbot90210 gives this figure a very enthusiastic “BUY IT”

Last edited by Transbot90210; 05-17-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Transbot90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Nullray
IGC

Its a very cool addition to the Generations line from UT. UT have been making fantastic figures so far. I am still waiting to see what the comparison to the Mega Steel release will be like. If that doesnt pan out will definitely be getting one of these.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Deception
Crossover

lol cassette turns into his weapon? i didn't know that pretty sick feature
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Slayback
Animated

Nice review mate!

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Longshot
Pretender

Good review, but I'm also on the waiting fence to see what Mega Steel's offering will be like.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
ARCTrooperAlpha
Beast Machine

looks quite good, good review
ARCTrooperAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

Thank you all for the positive feedback. If I have convinced any of you to buy this guy I do hope you enjoy him as much as I do.

I too was going to wait and see on the Mega Steel version but knowing it is a Soundwave remould and he shares Soundwave's shoulders made me go the way of Unique Toys. I still have my eye on the Mega Steel soundwave though. To be honest I am hoping it is the same size as this guy with the smaller cassette holder. I am reallying hoping and looking forward to new smaller sized cassette minions/allies that will go with this new size.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #9
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

permaduckface.

Loving the guncassette.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #10
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Also I read a rumour that Unique toys is also CHMS rebranded. How's the plastic?