Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #11
joshimus
Metroplex
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 4,361
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

While I did enjoy Bumblebee I still think the 2007 movie was the best. Say what you will about Shia, at least it felt like he connected with Bee and all the CGI around him. Haliee was alright but moments where she is crying she has no tears and it just looks odd and fake to me. Shia wasnt afraid to cry to show he cared for Bee. Hell, just watch DOTM when Soundwave is offing Autobots and Bee is next in line.

That side...I enjoyed it. So...yeah. Would love to see a Fall of Cybertron animated live action only film (theoretically in the works)
joshimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 AM   #12
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Robimus's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,949
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfmullen View Post
What logical gaps exactly?
I donít know about Johnnydark, but here were my minor issues.

I didnít like that Dropkick and Shatter did not have the means to communicate with Cybertron without using human technology. Maybe not a logic gap, but a plot convience for certain.

Coupled with Optimus being able to send a message to the stars in 2007, it gets more iffy for me. But it did make for a nice looking finale to the film.

My other main critique is Prime ending up surrounded by Decepticons on Cybertron in Beeís last flashback. Then we see Optimus on Earth at the end of the film, no explanation as to how he escaped what appeared to be certain doom.
__________________


Visit the official TFcon Toronto 2020 Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:19 AM   #13
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Crossover
Whisky Tango Foxtrot's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,492
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

I'll just paste what I said in the movie's box-office thread:
Quote:
The critics were completely out to lunch on this movie, but thankfully audiences seem to have a bit more taste. I mean, the Bay movies were shit, but at least they found unique ways to be shit. Bumblebee was shit in an absolutely generic Hollywood assembly-line way, which if anything makes it worse.
__________________
Whisky Tango Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:31 AM   #14
KPhilipsen
Generation 1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 75
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

This is what Transformers should have been from the start. Look forward to taking my daughter to a sequel in a couple years.
KPhilipsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
GotBot
Crossover
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Newfoundland and Labrador
Posts: 1,440
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I donít know about Johnnydark, but here were my minor issues.

I didnít like that Dropkick and Shatter did not have the means to communicate with Cybertron without using human technology. Maybe not a logic gap, but a plot convience for certain.

Coupled with Optimus being able to send a message to the stars in 2007, it gets more iffy for me. But it did make for a nice looking finale to the film.

My other main critique is Prime ending up surrounded by Decepticons on Cybertron in Beeís last flashback. Then we see Optimus on Earth at the end of the film, no explanation as to how he escaped what appeared to be certain doom.
Good points,

Also bothersome is that at no point anywhere is Blitzwing, Shatter or Dropkick given names. As Starscream Fiancee pointed out, though it was great to see Decepticons as well rounded characters, something gets lost for the average fan in needing to say the "blue dude" or the "crazy red missy". A small gripe but I could see it causing a disconnect for the average moviegoer.

Everything with Memo was awkward, clunky and generally unnecessary, as was Bee stumbling around the house. He just came from a war zone and has no better sense than to be delicate?

Charlie getting on the secret military base...really? That's all it takes? I know high schools with better security lol.

The fight with Dropkick was awesome. I'm still not sure how Bee survived and Shatter...I dunno...got crushed? Vanished?

Finally, if this is in the Bayverse, as Travis Knight has said himself, then why was Earth depicted by Optimus as a new discovery? Was not Bee and Hot Rod there in 1944 or thereabouts? Also, since Megs was found in, what was It, 1897 and on ice since the 30's then why, exactly, did Shatter and Dropkick not break him out?

I loved it and the average moviegoer will never ever nitpick all these things because the good credit the film builds and what it does right it does so amazingly well. You tend to let these things pass. Was it the best one ever? Nope, but it is taking leaps and bounds on the right direction after the last couple went off the rails a bit, in fact, it does so much right that I think most of us agree we want to see more of where this is going. I just hope it is not too little too late for the average moviegoer.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
mcfmullen
Generation 2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 163
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Good points,

Also bothersome is that at no point anywhere is Blitzwing, Shatter or Dropkick given names. As Starscream Fiancee pointed out, though it was great to see Decepticons as well rounded characters, something gets lost for the average fan in needing to say the "blue dude" or the "crazy red missy". A small gripe but I could see it causing a disconnect for the average moviegoer.

Everything with Memo was awkward, clunky and generally unnecessary, as was Bee stumbling around the house. He just came from a war zone and has no better sense than to be delicate?

Charlie getting on the secret military base...really? That's all it takes? I know high schools with better security lol.

The fight with Dropkick was awesome. I'm still not sure how Bee survived and Shatter...I dunno...got crushed? Vanished?

Finally, if this is in the Bayverse, as Travis Knight has said himself, then why was Earth depicted by Optimus as a new discovery? Was not Bee and Hot Rod there in 1944 or thereabouts? Also, since Megs was found in, what was It, 1897 and on ice since the 30's then why, exactly, did Shatter and Dropkick not break him out?

I loved it and the average moviegoer will never ever nitpick all these things because the good credit the film builds and what it does right it does so amazingly well. You tend to let these things pass. Was it the best one ever? Nope, but it is taking leaps and bounds on the right direction after the last couple went off the rails a bit, in fact, it does so much right that I think most of us agree we want to see more of where this is going. I just hope it is not too little too late for the average moviegoer.
The inability to suspend your disbelief does not make it a logical hole. None of these are lacking in logic.

Megatron was chasing the Allspark. He wound up on Earth by accident. No one knew he was there. That's why dropkick and Shatter didn't go find him.

I hear you on the lack of names for the cons, but that doesn't detract from the logic of the movie.

It is made VERY CLEAR that it was not bumblebee and hotrod in WWII. If you recall, Bumblebee was repeatedly called B127. It is made crystal clear that there are several robots that look alike, they are model numbers.

OP does not present Earth as a new discovery, simply as a quiet world hidden away. Earth is clearly known by Transformers, just not many of them.

It stands to reason that the communication range of the bots is limited, as clearly mentioned by Dropkick and Shatter to the humans. Bee managed to communicate because there was an outpost on Saturn's moon, logically, I don't think they had a range beyond the solar system.

Optimus on the other hand, is trying to set up base. It stands to reason that he came equipped with tech to send his message to the stars... or even used equipement from S7. We are never shown him actually sending this message beyond a voiceover as they look at the sunset.

Last edited by mcfmullen; 12-30-2018 at 12:27 PM.
mcfmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #17
GotBot
Crossover
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Newfoundland and Labrador
Posts: 1,440
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfmullen View Post
The inability to suspend your disbelief does not make it a logical hole. None of these are lacking in logic.

Megatron was chasing the Allspark. He wound up on Earth by accident. No one knew he was there. That's why dropkick and Shatter didn't go find him.

I hear you on the lack of names for the cons, but that doesn't detract from the logic of the movie.

It is made VERY CLEAR that it was not bumblebee and hotrod in WWII. If you recall, Bumblebee was repeatedly called B127. It is made crystal clear that there are several robots that look alike, they are model numbers.

OP does not present Earth as a new discovery, simply as a quiet world hidden away. Earth is clearly known by Transformers, just not many of them.

It stands to reason that the communication range of the bots is limited, as clearly mentioned by Dropkick and Shatter to the humans. Bee managed to communicate because there was an outpost on Saturn's moon, logically, I don't think they had a range beyond the solar system.

Optimus on the other hand, is trying to set up base. It stands to reason that he came equipped with tech to send his message to the stars... or even used equipement from S7. We are never shown him actually sending this message beyond a voiceover as they look at the sunset.
Interesting justifications.

I dunno, I still think a lot of what you say is obvious are HUGE jumps to fill in logic. Perhaps several of the justifications make sense but "obvious" that ww2 wasn't Bee is absolutely not obvious at all. Being able to detect Bee but not Megs is ludicrus. Finally a teenager getting on a secret military base by cutting a hole in a fence was laughable but a convenient story element. Also, why would Cena blow up a door on a base when he could just open It?

Bah! In the end, who really cares? The average movie fan won't notice and the hard core fans will fill in blanks however suits us best. In the end, let's just be happy a tf film is getting positive attention and let's hope more follows in the same positive light.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #18
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Robimus's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,949
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfmullen View Post

It is made VERY CLEAR that it was not bumblebee and hotrod in WWII. If you recall, Bumblebee was repeatedly called B127. It is made crystal clear that there are several robots that look alike, they are model numbers.
I’m simply willing to write that off as soft reboot stuff.

The idea that there is a bunch of Bumblebee’s running around, like hundreds of them, would be absolutely silly.
__________________


Visit the official TFcon Toronto 2020 Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 12-30-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #19
Jonnydark
Beasty
Jonnydark's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Hamburg
Posts: 343
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

The one logical gap that really annoyed my non-transformer fan friends was that bumblee bee could send a message to saturn from a junk yard yet fully healthy decepticons needed to build a tower to send a signal to cybertron. Not to mention how did Haliee get on the army base. And why were the two decepticons almost completely alone with bumblebee? Wasn't the army going to destroy them? I dunno... I was really hoping for a Pixar level of story tightness... And if it weren't for like, three or four plot devices it would have been superb.



I'm not sure this film is good enough to win back the general public to Transformers.
__________________


Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #20
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Robimus's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,949
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydark View Post
I'm not sure this film is good enough to win back the general public to Transformers.
I think it is more that it isnít epic enough to draw in huge audiences. But it isnít intended to be.

With the exception of TLK(which might have been too epic), Bayís films were all incredibly epic and all attracted the general public in big numbers.
__________________


Visit the official TFcon Toronto 2020 Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bumblebee, film, review bumblebee, spoilers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Transformers Shopping






Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.

Transformers on eBay.ca!
Transformers
Transformers G1 Megatron Walther P38 Robot Figure VINTAGE ORIGINAL TAKARA 1980s
Transformers
TRANSFORMERS Combiner Wars Victorion lot of 6
Transformers
TRANSFORMERS G1 DEFENSOR (PROTECTOBOTS) 100% COMPLETE C-9+ 1986
Transformers
TRANSFORMERS G1 SNARL (DINOBOT) 100% COMPLETE C-9 1985
Transformers
TRANSFORMERS G1 DEVASTATOR (CONSTRUCTICONS) 100% COMPLETE C-8.5 1985
Transformers
TRANSFORMERS G1 GRIMLOCK (DINOBOT) 100% COMPLETE C-9 1985
Transformers
TRANSFORMERS G1 FRENZY & LASERBEAK MOC C-9.5 100% COMPLETE 1984 (OPENED)

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.