Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Gonna get a gun...am I crazy?

I'm turning 38 on November 30th. Leading up to my birthday I find myself pondering 2 things:
  • In 12 short years I'll be 50
  • In 12 short years my daughter will be 13 and my son will be 17 and they'll be dating
So I've decided that for my mid-life crisis I'm going to buy a gun, specifically a pistol. Not a Camaro or a sailboat or a pilot's license...a Colt 1911A .45 acp, a Walther PPK .380 or a Walter PPS 9mm.

Ok, before you judge me let me clarify a few things. I don't subscribe to Guns & Ammo, I don't hunt nor do I intend to resort to Punisher-style vigilantism where I park my mini-van under a bridge, listening to the police scanner so that I may be the first responder to some robbery in progress.

No. I want a gun to protect my family and to plink off a few rounds at the local gun range. I've always had an interest in firearms (since my SFU days as a Criminology Student with ambitions to be the West Coast equivalent of Sonny Crockett or Serpico), yet I am fully aware that guns are made to do one thing: Kill people.

So I'm giving myself about a decade to weigh this decision carefully. My friend in the VPD has already made some suggestions on what type of pistol would be easier to get a permit for so the time-tested 1911 .45 acp is at the top of my list since it has stopping power with a lower capacity magzine that keeps it off the 'extremely restricted' list whereas the more modern Glock 9mm's 17 capacity magazine makes it an AK-47 in the RCMP's eyes.

My wife's not crazy about the idea of a gun in the house, but bless her soul she's agreed to visit a local indoor gun range for my birthday so we can try out some firearms.

The way I see it may not even have to buy many rounds with my gun...all I have to do is take it out to field strip and clean at the kitchen table while I sit and chat with my daughter's date/son's friends as they wait for my daughter/son to come out.

Anyone here think I'm nuts or have a firearm's license? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 11-18-2011 at 04:18 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: Gonna get a gun...am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
...all I have to do is take it out to field strip and clean at the kitchen table while I sit and chat with my daughter's date/son's friends as they wait for my daughter/son to come out.
For this reason, I support your decision. The more fear of God you put into those teenage boys, the better.

As a general rule though, I'm not a big gun guy. I get the idea of protecting your family, but I don't think I would be comfortable knowing there was a gun in my house. Accidents happen all the time. That is just me though.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

Guns are cool. Like you said they really only have one purpose. I don't know what the stats are on injuries, but I know the chances of someone getting hurt are significantly increased with a gun in the home. More often than not a family member is involved. Now I'm sure that comes down to carelessness and ignorance. The thing with pistols is they are restriced weapons in Canada. They require an additional license. That also means you need a permit to take them to and from the gun range. Unlike unrestricted rifles which can be left in your vehicle as long as they are secured properly. Regardless of how many bullets you can fit in the clip your only allowed by law to put 6(I think) in at a time. This goes for non-restriced rifles as well. Whatever you do don't state that you are a gun collector. Under canadian law the rcmp can inspect/seize your collection anytime they want without a warrant.

Do a little research and see if you really need on to protect your family.

http://www.cps.ca/english/statements...05-02.htm#risk

The presence of a firearm in the home has been shown to increase rates of homicide and suicide compared with homes without a firearm (9-12). In studies of adolescent suicide conducted by Brent et al (13,14), the presence of a firearm in the home was found to be a strongly positive risk factor for completed adolescent suicide. Apparently, the adolescent without a firearm in the home is more likely either to use a less lethal method or to not attempt suicide. Birckmayer and Hemenway (15) analyzed the relationship between suicide rates and household firearm ownership for four age groups. They found that firearm ownership was correlated with increased suicide rates for 15- to 24-year-olds and 65- to 84-year-olds, but not for 25- to 64-year-olds (15). This suggests that the availability of a firearm in the home is a suicide risk factor for some, but not all, age groups. It is likely that certain developmental characteristics of adolescents, such as impulsivity, sensitivity to peer pressure, and experimentation with alcohol and substances, are responsible for this effect.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
pud333
Animated

I don't like guns unless it's in a movie or on a toy. Don't see any need for them. Ever. I've fired a gun before, and while I can see it being quite the experience for some people, it did nothing for me.

However, I don't begrudge people who want to have a gun. So long as it is done legally and they've had proper training, to each their own.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Pascal
Banned

My cousin committed suicide when he 16 (I was 16 too) because his dad had a gun, so for that reason alone, I'll never have a gun in my house. Never.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
I get the idea of protecting your family, but I don't think I would be comfortable knowing there was a gun in my house. Accidents happen all the time. That is just me though.
Agreed wholeheartedly. That's my wife's biggest irk and that's also why I don't plan to get the gun anytime soon while my kids are still little.

My sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend killed himself with pistol owned by his father a couple years ago so I am fully aware of the consequences of not following proper gun safety.

Ammo will be in one place locked up and the gun in a lock box that only I know the combo to. If I opt for the Walther PPS (or a gun like it) then the safety backstrap will be removed rendering it non-functional. I just hope that I can assemble and load the gun quickly enough in the unlikely event there's a horde of of zombies breaking down our front door .

Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
My cousin committed suicide when he 16 (I was 16 too) because his dad had a gun, so for that reason alone, I'll never have a gun in my house. Never.
Yeah, I've been through that too. Not a family member but someone close nonetheless. It tore that person's family apart since the gun was the dad's too. Improperly stored, but tragic nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
I've fired a gun before, and while I can see it being quite the experience for some people, it did nothing for me.
My first time will be in a couple weeks. Who knows...after that I may hate it and stick to shooting guns in "Medal of Honor" on my GameCube instead.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

racerguy76, thanks for that info. Definitely more info to absorb while I decide. Beginning to see a trend with with Pascal's story, my exprience and your article. Would hate to become part of that sad trend/statistic.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
My first time will be in a couple weeks. Who knows...after that I may hate it and stick to shooting guns in "Medal of Honor" on my GameCube instead.
That's the kind of shooting I prefer.

I guess I just feel the potential payoff is not enough to out-weight the absolute devastating negative consequences.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
I guess I just feel the potential payoff is not enough to out-weight the absolute devastating negative consequences.
Part of me kind of thinks that how I'll feel after my birthday foray to the range.

Oh well...how much is a Camaro again?