Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #41
underdogg
Generation 1
Re: Arcade Machines, anyone collect?

I have a superman cabinet, pretty rough shape but brought many hours of fun over the years. Working on building a clone of a Vewlix cabinet.

Trying to have it done for when ultra street fighter iv comes out. Houses 32 inch samsung smart tv 1080p, will have both xbox 360 and ps3 hooked up using PS360+ adapters. Hopefully have a PC in there to for MAME. Near the end of the year drop either a PS4 or XBONE in it.

underdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #42
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Current Project Line Up and what I've done this week
-Mario Bros
Pulled in the side of the cabinet
Prepped the marquee for new light unit.
Replaced power cord
-Super Monaco GP
Removed Light fixture
Replaced Power Cord
Ordered Resurrection Kit or was that last week.
Re capped monitor chassis
Broke CRT Tube, Joy.....
-DKjr Cab w/ Unisystem
Sanded, Primed and Painted Brackets
Order Replacement Brackets

I have more, but they are not in a rush to be done.

To do list. Waiting on order of caps. Need to re cap some sanyo chassis. Waiting on the GP resurrection Kit. Well overal just a lot of waiting on parts.

I'm boarder line going to gut the Wide Body Mario Bros. Its not like I needs a lot of work. Just completely sanded down. Bondo'ed, primed and painted. Replace back door. Primed and painted. New Decals and control panel overlay. Its literally working. It just needs a bunch of money and time to make it golden. Good thing I have a place to store it till the funds start flowing for a restoration.

Still need to gut one last cabinet, a galaxian with a 25" monitor. It had a galaga boot in it, called gallag.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #43
Mike
Robot Master
Mike's Ebay Auctions

I always wanted to collect arcade machines, but ive only ever lived at home, and innan apartment, so no room for a hobby like that. Maybe someday ifni have a house!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #44
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Thinking of getting the Arcade Machine from Costco that has the 150 games preloaded on it. Like the idea of all new parts that should hopefully last a while.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #45
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Thinking of getting the Arcade Machine from Costco that has the 150 games preloaded on it. Like the idea of all new parts that should hopefully last a while.
I know your the super mod. This isn't anything personal. Its just an example of my experience with those exact machines. I've heard to many horror stories. That's like spending 50g's for a ford focus with a 67 mustang shell on it. Looks nice, but is made with shit parts.

Those are sold to the general public that have money to burn. And don't know any better. Plus I hate that track ball.

With that said. I'll stop being an ass. I'll try to help. Lead you in the direction where you can get a finished product with new parts that isn't a total piece of Chicago Gaming Crap or sold by BMI. Though BMI doesn't exclusively sell crap.

Comments implying Costco are still asking $2500 delivered.

What type of games do you enjoy? Era 80's 90's Current? Do you want LCD or CRT? Horizontal or vertical monitor? Full assembled or a build? Stand up, cocktail or Custom Build?

If you build Jamma, you can almost slap any multiboard in there.

Just don't limit your self.

End of rant. Please pm if your interested in hearing more. I'd love to help. Worst case, you can pick up the model your after thats over a year old for less the $500, used. They don't hold there value.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #46
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I always wanted to collect arcade machines, but ive only ever lived at home, and innan apartment, so no room for a hobby like that. Maybe someday ifni have a house!
I live in a 3 bedroom apt. I have 2 currently in the apt. 2 at a friends. 3 in my folks garage.

Space is all about organization. And on how loving or understanding your wife/gf is.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #47
CanBot
Cybertron

Having a nice MAME setup doesn't require a lot of space...plus, just one machine to do it all works well.

I'm a bit of a purist like Gaetz, in that I'd never drop the money on that overpriced thing from Costco. They're not even using CRT monitors, yet charge the same price (now they use LCD).

My advice for people wanting to see if they'd be interested in such machines is to do it this way: order an X-Arcade tankstick, get a version of MAME with a matching rom set. Try it for three months. If you're still loving it, go for it and build/buy a cabinet. If not, well, you're only out about $120.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #48
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaetznes View Post
I know your the super mod. This isn't anything personal. Its just an example of my experience with those exact machines. I've heard to many horror stories. That's like spending 50g's for a ford focus with a 67 mustang shell on it. Looks nice, but is made with shit parts.

Those are sold to the general public that have money to burn. And don't know any better. Plus I hate that track ball.

With that said. I'll stop being an ass. I'll try to help. Lead you in the direction where you can get a finished product with new parts that isn't a total piece of Chicago Gaming Crap or sold by BMI. Though BMI doesn't exclusively sell crap.

Comments implying Costco are still asking $2500 delivered.

What type of games do you enjoy? Era 80's 90's Current? Do you want LCD or CRT? Horizontal or vertical monitor? Full assembled or a build? Stand up, cocktail or Custom Build?

If you build Jamma, you can almost slap any multiboard in there.

Just don't limit your self.

End of rant. Please pm if your interested in hearing more. I'd love to help. Worst case, you can pick up the model your after thats over a year old for less the $500, used. They don't hold there value.
I'm interested in SFII and games running up to that time. I don't have the time to build something. I want to buy an arcade machine that's ready to go. I played it at Costco and it felt good. If there is a better option out there LMK.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #49
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
I'm interested in SFII and games running up to that time. I don't have the time to build something. I want to buy an arcade machine that's ready to go. I played it at Costco and it felt good. If there is a better option out there LMK.
Check out kijiji, craigs list and playdium iv'e seen these multi-game sets being sold there and you can negotiate on a price.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #50
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
If you had said anything other then a 5-6 button fighter like SFII. I'd have a a few different quality options for you.

Just recognize that you can change out the joystick if you so desire. Also, if you have no responsive buttons. It is as simple as changing out micro switches which can be had for less then a dollar each or as high as two dollars. Every version I've worked on uses quick disconnects and a Phillips screw driver head.

Due to the requirement for SFII. I have several other suggestions. However they all require a little work and time.

For the sake of conversation i'll describe one. Pick up a Working SFII or some other 6 Button 2 player fighter jamma cabinet. Purchase a minimum of a 2 board jamma switcher. For slot one, install ArcadeSD. That gives you the best emulation for a score of games from 79 to past 86. Then for your SF MK etc games pick up a ELF or other XXXX in 1 board. Basically pre built mame computers all ready to go.

So overal, for what you want (money concerns aside), what costco has. Is your most convenient option.

Every one of my options will require some work.

I wish you the best.