Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #61
zackmak
Robot Master
Re: TFcon 2014 Guest Request thread

Yeah, admission prices can be weird with no set rule of thumb. Obviously, more and less expensive convention/expo entry fees - in comparison to TFcon's - can definitely be found. If I go to Canada's biggest Fan/Pop Culture convention - Toronto Fan Expo in August - the prices there for your general/basic admission for Saturday is $50. If I go to Canada's biggest Sports Card and Memorabilia Expo in May - the prices there are $12 each day. Both carry big-name guests and all charge a signing fee. Whatever the convention, all have their popularity and following, and I believe their entrance fees are generally fair game for comparison IF they are a collectible hobby convention. Sports cards, anime, action figures, coins, etc.

TFcon's admission prices could be cheaper, but as mentioned in an earlier post, the free parking, panels and autographs, leveled it out.

Now, with no free autographs, and no expected lowering of the entrance fees, the admission price is not as easy to level out.

That's why adding a free autograph to regular admission fee is one idea.

Last edited by zackmak; 04-13-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #62
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Anyone know if guests charge at Botcon?
Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #63
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
No idea, but I just double checked AN's facebook and they don't. Not the same kind of con, but it's the only other one I attend. I know NFCC does.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #64
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
For walk ins yes there is a charge.
If you register in advance no. But the ticket is $175 for members, and $250 for non-members. And that does NOT include any of the exclusives. That is a completely different package. In comparison, TFcon pricing is a fraction of the price.

I appreciate the disappointment that many of you are expressing, but unfortunately it's just not sustainable for TFcon any more. Conventions like this cost an incredible amount to run. As such this model that works for the majority of conventions out there is what TFcon has adopted.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #65
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Well if that's the way it has to be...we'll trust you. Based on the fantastic previous 10 years.

It would be nice to pay $20 for Nimoy's auto at TFCon.

I'm just praying this is not the beginning of "Fan Expo'ing the TFCon Loyalists".

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #66
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
The money is going directly to the guests, not the convention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Yes, the guests will be charging for autographs. This will allow the cost of tickets to remain the same as previous years.

Artists will continue to charge for sketches/commissions, but not autographs.
Please keep this in mind folks. It is the guests charging for autographs, not TFCon.

Quote:
This is bullshit!

I'd rather pay $10 or even $20 more at the door.

The main reason I go to the con is to get autographs, and as an unemployed, stay at home dad I don't have a shit ton of money to spend. At this rate just getting what I want signed from Sue Blu will likely cost me $60, which is also likely to be a large chunk out of my budget!
The idea of charging EVERYBODY more so that only some people can get autographs is unfair. If, like Shockwave 75 said, TFCon charged $20 more per weekend pass holder that would mean for every autograph someone gets, someone else couldn't get one for it to even out economically. So if you get 6 autographs, then that means 5 other people can't. And that's assuming all the guests will charge $20 per autograph. Who's to say TFCon won't get some big name guest like Leonard Nimoy who last time I heard charges $75 per autograph.

And like Super_Megatron said, BotCon guests don't charge for autographs, but that's because it's built into the cost of their attendee packages, which are FAR more than the cost of a TFCon weekend pass. I think the only guest you ever had to pay extra for was Peter Cullen, sort of. Last time I was there, the only way you could even have the opportunity to get his autograph was to have bought a Golden Ticket($300), and even then there was lottery within those people because there was such a great demand. If TFCon got Peter Cullen, I bet it won't cost you $300. I hope.

Now the idea of a "VIP" pass, may be something worth looking into for TFCon. Although it'll probably be significantly more than $20 more than a standard weekend pass. This is only April. TFCon is still 3 more months away. Who knows what guests they might announce between now and then? David Kaye? Frank Welker? Hugo Weaving? TFCon usually saves the best for last. So if Aaron Archer, Gary Chalk, and Sue Blue aren't the top of the list, whoever is must be pretty special indeed!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #67
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

What time is Registration on monday?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #68
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Noon.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #69
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
Please keep this in mind folks. It is the guests charging for autographs, not TFCon.

The idea of charging EVERYBODY more so that only some people can get autographs is unfair. If, like Shockwave 75 said, TFCon charged $20 more per weekend pass holder that would mean for every autograph someone gets, someone else couldn't get one for it to even out economically. So if you get 6 autographs, then that means 5 other people can't. And that's assuming all the guests will charge $20 per autograph. Who's to say TFCon won't get some big name guest like Leonard Nimoy who last time I heard charges $75 per autograph.

And like Super_Megatron said, BotCon guests don't charge for autographs, but that's because it's built into the cost of their attendee packages, which are FAR more than the cost of a TFCon weekend pass. I think the only guest you ever had to pay extra for was Peter Cullen, sort of. Last time I was there, the only way you could even have the opportunity to get his autograph was to have bought a Golden Ticket($300), and even then there was lottery within those people because there was such a great demand. If TFCon got Peter Cullen, I bet it won't cost you $300. I hope.

Now the idea of a "VIP" pass, may be something worth looking into for TFCon. Although it'll probably be significantly more than $20 more than a standard weekend pass. This is only April. TFCon is still 3 more months away. Who knows what guests they might announce between now and then? David Kaye? Frank Welker? Hugo Weaving? TFCon usually saves the best for last. So if Aaron Archer, Gary Chalk, and Sue Blue aren't the top of the list, whoever is must be pretty special indeed!
If someone told me it'd cost $300 bucks to see someone and get an autograph I'd laugh in their faces. That's a total scam. But I am sure it's the con cashing on Peter more then Peter charging that himself.

Also S. Megatron you're confusing. If the guests are charging fees now, then what does that have to do with running the con? Unless TFCON won't be carrying them. If so I'm surprise they aren't charging more.

Also TFCON better not becoming FanExpo because I despise that con and everything it stands for.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Last edited by Knockout; 04-14-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #70
Swalloweddark
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmak View Post
Now, with no free autographs, and no expected lowering of the entrance fees, the admission price is not as easy to level out.

That's why adding a free autograph to regular admission fee is one idea.
This ^ Is what I was speaking of. If they are going to go the 'Comic Con' Way of having the guest charge for Autographs than the price of admission should go down and not stay the same because that cost is not in there anymore. This is why Comic cons are Usually $10-$15 a day or so. Con Bravo is running a FREE one this weekend. Anime North only charges $60 for a 4 Day convention in 1 Convention Center and 4 hotels and all Guest Autographs are Free.

If the prices are staying the same as last year then the convention is still getting more money out of us plus the extra $$$ amount that we all have to pay for guests. The passes SHOULD drop $5 or $10 to show the attendees that the the 'Guest Budget' has come out but..You know. Ain't seeing that happening.

Or they should like..Make the convention an extra day because like i said the 80's show doesn't count. I leave about mid-afternoon on Sunday because I got for TF con and alot of dealers for Sunday rid all TF merchandise.

Then again..They are doing TF con USA this year.. Something has to pay for that which will be all the extra $$$'s they grab from us by no lowering the badge rates.
Closed Thread