Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Canadian Slag Episode 64 - Nothing Good on TV

Whats the old saying? 495 channels on TV and there's nothing on? Well two new shows have peaked the interest of the fandom recently and the Slaggers take a look into Toy Hunter and Collection Intervention on this episode. What's the deal with the shows? How plausible are they? and what does the crew think? As usual, no feelings are held back. The crew wrap up with thoughts on the inaugural launch of the TFCC subscription service and all the fun that entailed.

Canadian Slag Episode 64 - Nothing Good on TV
Host: Daniel w/ Chris, Ian, and Wendel
- Toy Hunter discussion
- Collection Intervention discussion
- TFCC subscription service launch

DOWNLOAD NOW!

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW!

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 09-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Jawz. D
That Black Guy
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 64 - Nothing Good on TV

Woo!

Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JawzD
Jawz. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Looking forward to giving this one a listen. I haven't even seen either show, so I don't have an opinion on it either way, but from what I'm hearing from folks I'm lucky I haven't. :P

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

personally, if the guys from Canadian Pickers ever came by to pick my collection (rhetorically speaking of course, since it's not really pick worthy ), they'd be welcomed in with open arms.

If this jackass from Toy Hunter came up to the door to ask about buying stuff, I'd brandish a golf club and see how fast he can run.

As for Collection Intervention, as I've said it before, if you give up your collection for a low-ball price because someone tells you to - be they a girlfriend, wife, "concerned friend", etc - congrats, you were never a true collector to begin with. Hand in your collector license and don't let the screen door hit you on the way out.

right, nice episode guys
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

^this, lol.

that jerk from Toy Hunters is a total douche bag. if I came across him at a show and acted like that it would take an unbelievable amount of restraint on my part not to bitchslap that putz. That show is totally staged. I call shenanigans.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

So while listening to the part about the two shows, I started looking at the TF packaging and shipping boxes that I've been meaning to throw out and have started to build up. Long story short, that's out of the way now and the place looks less like something from Hoarders. XD

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Undrave
Canadian Slag

I never saw a full episode of Toy Hunter, that scummy guy totally grated on my nerves! That 'MASK was predecessor to Transformers blah blah blah' bit was just the breaking point.

Collection Intervention should be done by responsible collectors helping other collectors.

Honestly the TFCC subscription set was interesting (except for that boringass Breakdown, bleh!) but at the time I had a 150 dollars or so of Beast Saga pre-order
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Have to agree with everyone. The Toy Hunters guy is a complete and total douche bag. If I was at a Kenner designers home going through all the old toys he's brought home from work 10, 15, 20 years ago, I'd want to talk with him about how he made them. How he got the ideas for them. See if he still had any conceptual designs that show the toys earlier incarnations. The story behind the toy itself.

Not to mention that the first episode was obvious staged. And the fact the guy knows dick-all about toys. That just makes the guy even more of a douche than he already is.

Now the Collection Intervention bitch is just as bad, or worse. She may or may not know a little more than the other guy, but what she's doing is terrible. The Transformers guy did need help, but forcing him to sell his "Breakdown Robot", a figure that has great sentimental value to him because it's not "G1" is horrible and ignorant. But he did need help. Just maybe not any sort of help she could provide. I checked out his website. It looks like it was designed 15 years ago.

The TFSS figures. Not much to say. Ultra Mammoth and Scourge: Yay! Circuit and Jackpot: Nay.

The comic guy was even worse. Dooping people into thinking they're going to appear on a show to celebrate their collection and then turning a 180 on them and shame them for their collection is just wrong. That guy didn't have a problem. He just needed some storage space. Making him trade his entire collection, which has great sentimental value, for one comic is retarded.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

There are good reality shows and there are bad ones.The two you've guys talked about are very bad ones.

Now I have personally never watched Collection Intervention,nor Toy Hunters,mainly because reality shows have become a normative for television that manipulative editing,exploitation of people with serious problems,and filming one tedious subject after another,I have graciously given up anything that's being shown on television except for the occasional drama series or any animated show.

Like everyone,I am personally worried that the majority will see collectors in this certain light,and when hearing about the inception of Collection Intervention,I instantly thought of what my family will think these are the people I am surrounded with at Cons.Luckily all of us are very level-headed collectors and know where we stand in life,but I have grown tired of that one ignorant individual that claims this is what's being shown as reality.But it's television,nothing is real about it,not even history documentaries,where some editing is there to present a certain side of their thesis.I'm still wondering why media has gotten to the point that 'anything stupid' sells,and I feel we're all to blame for it (Even myself),and we've got these two shows,representing our subculture,as a result,whether we like it or not.

But what does irritate me is the people they have chosen and labelled them as 'experts',as if the very meaning of the word is no longer relevant as long as the drama between them and their subjects will keep cashing in for these con-artists that are now called producers.These little mistakes about M.A.S.K,TF,and the like would cause our skin to crawl from a tool like Jordan or a narrow-minded 'pretty girl' like Elyse and claim themselves as grand experts of their subjects and their toys.But I wonder whether they are also victims of the editing process themselves,whether they are also being pressured by their greedy bosses to say this or that (They too are actors of their fake cinema vertie),that they are no better than the hosts reading off of cue cards like Ryan Seacrest or Phil Keoghan.Whatever the case,their misinformation will be droplets absorbed to the non-collecting viewer,where if they ever approach people like us,not only they would look foolish,but it goes to show that the harsh powers of reality television is something we can't control,not even the Academy (Since they give them two Emmy Award Categories those idiots)

But this is all the first season of these TLC rejects.I'm wondering what their second seasons will be like.Maybe better,maybe worse,but to those that are watching it,let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!

Last edited by TMIIWonkoNemises; 09-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Undrave
Canadian Slag

IF they get a second season at all.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast