Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions
Hasbro and Takara, Why do Haters hate?

I find it interesting how I see a lot of the same type of comments about price or cost when Takara item pictures are shown and the "sour grapes" rationalization of "not worth more", "Hasbro's cheaper", "happy with mine", "fixed with a $2 sharpie". To me those kind of comments express more of a resentment than an opinion about the artistic choices between the two companies producing figures we have a deep love or care about. Why do Haters hate because of price?

I find it degenerates pictures of a Figure/toy into an argument or validation about money or money spent. "Ya I got a deal" I'm happy when I get a deal too and I like to share how I got that deal so others can have the same opportunity to benefit from said deal and sometimes I have no problem paying the "No B.S Tax" on a more popular character like MP Soundwave (I will be getting the Takara version because I've always wanted a red eyed Soundwave, no love for yellow eyed bastards here, lol). Sometimes it's about being in the right place at the right time and sometimes patience will get you the deal your looking for, I must say I think I see a lot less of the latter. For me I am partial to the Takara side of things because I want the nicest looking representation of a character in my collection and in the end I think it will increase the longevity of my enjoyment of my collection. One example for me of a Hasbro version I just couldn't buy or take even if it was given to me was Universe Smokescreen, in my opinion worst repaint from the Universe line. To me that was the defining toy that led me into the foreign side of things, that's when I was like "oh there's a henkei version?" Sweet! I wanted a Smokescreen that looked like Smokescreen and I wasn't willing to accept anything less and to me that's what it comes down to. I buy what I like whether it's Hasbro's or Takara's. I bought both Hasbro's and Takara's Generations Autobot Blaster because I like them both enough. The Hasbro one is with my classics and the Takara is with my Cybertronian line. Price is not the lone deciding factor because I will make it affordable in time by saving for it or when demand and price come down.

I understand money is an issue in the collecting community with all the things out that people "want" or "need" (I will say needing something other than the basics of life I thinks puts people in a great disadvantage here), at the same time I see some of the same people blow cost right out of the water travelling around by car, bus or whatever means trying to find "the Hasbro versions" like MP Soundwave here in Canada. We have people traveling around Canada and into the U.S to "try" and find him and yet when people get their deal how much did they spend in gas, food and lodging on the way there to 3,4 or 5 different stores? Yes, believe it some people are camping out at the TRU. Add that to the cost of the toy and it'll bring it in range with the Takara version some people don't want when the Takara versions get cleared out at online retailers or toy shows. Sometimes I question the logic of the community and wonder sometimes if any is there as a whole. I definitely see the frenzy of the boards and rumbles in the parking lot especially for MP Soundwave and I think "man this is ridiculous", sighting threads getting derailed because of it and the litany of other threads created to follow and "hunt him down" Maybe the thrill of the hunt is getting the better of us for a supposedly cheaper version of a toy?

What are the thoughts of the masses?
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy
Re: Hasbro and Takara, Why do Haters hate?

the cost of the hunt is one of the things that kills hasbro versions for me, i would love to get a hasbro soundwave just for an alt mode version of them, but it costs me from $20-$40 to go on a hunt, so, three four hunts and i'm out the savings, plus the distribution being so terrible, it's not like i'm guaranteed to get one, so i've just decided to get the takara ones and be done with it

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Yeah, I do think many of us take things WAY too seriously (in both directions).

While I do appreciate the artistic differences between various releases and companies, I'm not as frothy at the mouth over any of it as I used to be.

I still have opinions, but they're just not as important in the grand scheme of things. Often, the opinions don't even come close to touching cost, especially when I have no desire to own a figure.

Take my recent post on the 2014 reissue of Fire Convoy. I have no desire to purchase it because I'm completely satisfied with my original Hasbro release, despite it's lack of metallic fleck finish, and splitting tires.

If I didn't have the Hasbro version, I might have considered it. But my comment may have sounded like sour grapes, even though it wasn't my intention.

Or, consider my pre-order with BKCollectibles of a Hasbro Metroplex. I did this before knowing what the differences were. Do I regret it? Not one bit. Also, do I care that I "could" have got Metroplex at TRU for cheaper if I wanted to jump through a billion hoops and put up with a bunch of crap? Nope. I'm done with putting up with crap like that.

While I do feel a little let down over the lack of one of the rifles, I like the look of Metroplex without the chrome. To me, it just seems to pop out too much on Takara's release. It makes the figure seem unbalanced. Had they included a bit of chrome on the arms and feet, then it might have been a different story in my opinion. Is one deco superior over the other? Nope, just in the eye of the beholder. The only major difference is the extra rifle.

As far as cost goes, considering Takara has to come from overseas and the exchange rate and duty and shipping and whatnot, it just doesn't look feasible for me, regardless of my preference. I'll pick stuff up domestically.

As for the hunt, I'm done with it. I'd like to just cut the crap. In most cases, retail pisses me off, so I resort to ordering online or doing in person deals on the board.

But back to Hasbro vs Takara.
A while ago I managed to get an Animated Takara Rodimus, since he was online for a massive discount (and Hasbro Rodimus was few and far between). Picked him up, but somehow the colours (while animation accurate) didn't sit well with me. I eventually got the Hasbro version and am very satisfied with that. Are either version better? not at all, only different.

Aesthetics are subjective.
And haters gonna hate.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
thebobkat
Canadian Slag

I decide which version is worth spending money on, on a case by case basis. I'll often get the Tak-Tomy version due to the paint apps/detail or sometimes show accuracy. But I've also opted for the Hasbro version due to the paint apps (e.g. sometimes Tak-Tomy goes overboard with the metallic paint - I usually like it, but sometimes it's not appropriate or it's overdone).

If the paint apps/detailing is the same or similar, I go with the cheaper option of Hasbro. For myself, I go with the version that I'll be most happy with regardless of price (within reason), or sometimes just to save me the headache of hunting the domestic version down later. With MP Soundwave specifically, I actually got the Tak-Tomy one at the time because I had doubts Hasbro would release one, and I didn't want to miss out. I don't regret the extra cost of this particular item, as I think it was worth it and I don't have to run around trying to find one now.

That being said, that's just my thought process on my choices between the Hasbro and Tak-Tomy versions. Everybody will think differently based on budget, preferences. Some are happy with getting the Hasbro version of a figure and painting it. My painting skills are still a little lackluster so I generally dont' go that route.

The "thrill of the hunt" can definitely be a factor - it is partly why I collect (TFs or otherwise). All my usual sightings locations are on my route to/from work for the most part, so the cost of the hunt typically isn't a main deterrent for me. It is a nice feeling when you find a rare or low availability item, that's for sure.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobkat View Post
The "thrill of the hunt" can definitely be a factor - it is partly why I collect (TFs or otherwise). All my usual sightings locations are on my route to/from work for the most part, so the cost of the hunt typically isn't a main deterrent for me. It is a nice feeling when you find a rare or low availability item, that's for sure.
I enjoy the hunt as well, though I hunt a lot like you do. I have to travel right past several key retailers everyday to get to work, so stopping when I know something might be available doesn't really cost me very much.

On occasion I do get the Japanese version of something, when I think the color scheme is vastly superior(say Henkei Classics Megatron), but for the most part I can't be bothered with the online stores.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Pascal
Banned

I usually get the first version released, so sometimes Hasbro (regular releases), sometimes Takara (MP, Alternity, etc.).
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

For me, the "thrill of the hunt" just turned to years of disappointment after disappointment. Then I just stopped caring about hunting for anything in general. Even in games I loathe random/rare drops. Its why I quit Guild Wars and only spent 3 hours playing WoW. If I work for something, I better damned well have something to show for it.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Nice and good points gentlemen, I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but the fun is in what direction the conversation will go in this time around and what we've learned or not learned from the last discussion.

The Sandstorm pics today and the MP Soundwave frenzy got me thinking in depth on this Hasbro and Takara subject again so I thought it would be good to see and examine peoples motivations one way or the other by creating a thread and having a discussion. I must say I'm very impressed so far.

I know myself lately coming on to the site and seeing the flood of posts and threads about MP Soundwave was becoming particularly annoying to me and I could sense the panic in peoples posts about not getting one and I wondered how much the internet was playing a part in the anxiety I was seeing and this whole Hasbro and Takara angle people sometimes take. I know myself growing up in the late 70's and early 80's importing a toy unless it was from a flea market was unfathomable for me (thanks dad for the Cassette Man, my first TF Christmas '84) so Hasbro was the only retail choice. Even back then I wanted more show accurate characters and 30 years later we have a boatload of them and I can say I'm making that dream come true as best I can. Seeing how the internet has made shopping simpler and at the same time the speed of it has made it more panicky because of how fast we get information now, maybe it is also that inner child in us. I do my best to maintain a level of calm in these situations because I know they can get the better of me. TFCon and the Fansproject table are my own example though I didn't buy anything at that table, it was more the disappointment of not seeing what I wanted and was hoping for there (Steelcore Trailer). After my first purchase at another table there I went back to my room to calm down and get back to what I was there to do and how I normally do things at a show with calm and patience, one closed door will open another. That for me is what I'm hoping to bring here. It may be an overwhelming task but at the end of the day it's a worthy cause to stand behind.

P.S Shepp: I totally avoided the Hasbro vs Takara reference to avoid an incoming flamewar, good post though I agree with your points on "the hunt", my greatest hunting joy these days come from Kreo Vehicons

Haters gonna Hate
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Pascal
Banned

I don't think people are panicking about not getting Soundwave, they're panicking about not being able to get one for at the lowest possible price. Soundwave is very easy to find online if you're willing to spend a bit more to secure one.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
DecepticonusPrime
Machine War

When it comes to MPs, I always get the Takara one first nowadays. You never know if it'll get released at all in North America, so it's really a no-brainer. Even if it does - there's no guarantee you'll find one at retail, so you might end up paying Takara prices anyway.

If the Hasbro one ends up being better, and you CAN find one, no biggie - sell the Takara version. By then it'll usually fetch MORE than what you paid, anyway.