Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Robbler
Machine War
Storage?

Not sure if this is the right sub section, but I've recently run out of space for most of my collection. It varies from Marvel Legends, Transformers, Play Arts etc.

I bought a large rubbermaid type container to store everything in for now. A lot of stuff is still boxed and I'm hoping they'll be alright in there? Basically trying to prevent things from happening to it while being stored away in the basement for the time being.

Basically I'm just wondering if this is a good solution and if you guys have any tips.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Pran
Generation 1
Re: Storage?

I would not store in a basement unless it was climate controlled. Keeping it in a dark storage bin is good too.

The other more controversial suggestion would be to sell some of it. Try to keep the items you love most on display. If it's not awesome enough to display, perhaps it's not awesome enough to keep. You'll find that after collecting for MANY years, sometimes the collection just gets too big to keep control of, and the fun somehow become more of a burden. Just a thought.
Pran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
imfallenangel
Cybertron

one container? oh my... you're still a pup.

I'm at least 4 large containers, 3 or 4 large dressers, 3 closets (two just half), and more storage for a few more elsewhere, plus probably a good 500+ figures displayed on my office and bedroom.

Now that said, I do have them all in a dry and cool environment, and the loose items wrapped in paper towels or bubble wrap. Overall, I only have a few that yellowed due to age, some had poor plastic that can end up crumbling, but that just time and age, can't prevent it.

So as long as they are in such environment, they should be fine.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pran View Post
I would not store in a basement unless it was climate controlled. Keeping it in a dark storage bin is good too.

The other more controversial suggestion would be to sell some of it. Try to keep the items you love most on display. If it's not awesome enough to display, perhaps it's not awesome enough to keep. You'll find that after collecting for MANY years, sometimes the collection just gets too big to keep control of, and the fun somehow become more of a burden. Just a thought.
Like a hoarder
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
one container? oh my... you're still a pup.

If you only at 4 then I gotta call you a pup lol. I got way more than that but fortunately it's just the higher end figure boxes but needed a laugh so thanks
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

My brother's G1 stuff has been stored loose in a light blue Rubbermaid tote for 25+ years in a closet on Vancouver Island in a non-air conditioned house and everything is still fine when I raid it for something.

My GI Joes were in the same totes in a non-temperature controlled attic and the higher/lower temperatures did 2 things over about 20 years.

1) Vinyl label adhesive gassed and put bubbles throughout the the underside of the labels, stretching them out.

2) Soft clear plastic parts softened in the heat and re-hardened in the wrong shape. (Dragonfly cockpit cover, TTBP windscreen)

Everything else came out in perfect shape though if the plastic had higher UV exposure before it went into the tote, it was discoloured once it came out. It's my understanding higher temperatures can perhaps accelerate this but the UV exposure is the true culprit.

Our house never had fluorescent lighting and the TFs never really went outside so here's a short list of G1 bots in the tote for an idea of materials in question (assume all weapons are present)

Optimus Prime
Jazz
Windcharger
Soundwave
Dirge
Slag
Sunstreaker
Superion
Mixmaster
Scrapper
Shrapnel
Blaster
Omega Supreme
Beachcomber
Inferno
Swindle
Vortex
Blurr
Crosshairs
Old 10-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
protoform_ironhide
Commander

To keep them fresh, I put them in ziplop bags and then in large rubbermaid containers. I have a crawl space full of them. It helps to label each full box in case you need to find something in the future.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post

If you only at 4 then I gotta call you a pup lol. I got way more than that but fortunately it's just the higher end figure boxes but needed a laugh so thanks

I"m getting that you mean boxed figures for yourself, for my collection I'm talking about loose figures. Otherwise if I'd keep the boxes, I'd fill up at least two rooms (probably more) from floor to ceiling. It's crazy how you don't see it happening but after over 40 years, it does add up.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
BludChylde
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide View Post
To keep them fresh, I put them in ziplop bags and then in large rubbermaid containers. I have a crawl space full of them. It helps to label each full box in case you need to find something in the future.
The only thing I can say with this method, from experience is to check on them every 2 to 3 years. I've found that the ziplock bags, regardless of brand I've bought becomes brittle and eventually tears.

I use this method ranging from Marvel Legends, Transformers, Mattel DC and WWE figures,GI Joe and Lego. My Star Wars may never get displayed again. Forgot to check on them and the accessories are, well let's say it rhymes with cluster duck, in the bottom of the 2 boxes i have for their storage.
BludChylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide View Post
Careful with Ziploc bags though. There's a debate as to whether or not they release acid that can damage the plastic. There are certain types of "archival" quality acid-free bags available if you believe there's a difference. They're polypropylene bags if you're looking. A guy who worked at a museum once told me that for larger items, plain plastic grocery bags are safe as long as you don't let the inked side touch anything.